Some questions regarding iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by applefan289, Apr 23, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I currently have a Mac with iTunes, an iPad, and an iPod Shuffle that I've automatically synced with the Mac. When I last purchased songs from the iTunes store, it gave me a message saying "do you want to backup either through Time Machine or discs?".

If, in the future, my Mac's hard drive crashes and I get a new Mac (or replace the hard drive), can I upload all of the songs that I've synced to my iPad/iPod Shuffle. If I have set it to automatically sync, will it wipe all the songs off the iPad/iPod?

Also, I can't seem to drag and drop music where I want it in the iTunes library under Music. I've had this problem for years, but now that I have more songs, it's starting to bug me...

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

It's the best practice to use Time Machine and backup your music on an external HDD.

If you're Mac crashes in the future or you get a new Mac when you plug in your iPad it will not auto-sync, but it will warn you that you must erase your iPad before you can sync. You can still fairly easily get your music off of your iPad but you'll have to use a third-party program like Senuti to do it.

Drag and drop music in your iTunes library? You mean to and from your library? I dunno, explain further.

3. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

No, I mean within the library. I can't drag one song under the other under Music in the library. It works on Purchased and all the other playlists, but the Music section in the library won't let me drag songs where I want them in the Music section. When I try to drag one song under the other or vice versa, it doesn't work...

The only difference between the playlists that allow me to drag and drop and the Music section is that the Music section does not have a track number on the left side. On the playlists like Purchased, there are track numbers on the left, and selecting the track numbers section is the only way I can drag them in playlists.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, you can't change the order in the Library. In playlists you can because they are a "Play-List", so you can set the list of songs.

Nothing you can do about it.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can use a tag you don't otherwise use (e.g. BPM) and display and sort on that.

(EDIT: Personally, I sort on Data Added when viewing the library).

B