Some questions...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greytmom, Jan 20, 2011.

1. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I've seen threads that state that Sandy Bridge is going to make an enormous difference, and others that say that the difference isn't going to be that major in a laptop. I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle - can someone provide an easily understood explanation for those of us who are not techno pros?

Next, when I do get my new MacBook Pro (I'm currently running a 2008 model), whether I wait for Sandy Bridge or not, I want to remove the optical drive and use a SSD as my main drive, with my current 500GB HDD for my files and storage. Are the SSDs that are available now on the MBP good quality for the money, or would I be better off investing in a separate SSD and buying a new Mac with a regular HDD?

Lastly, where the heck do they get the names of these chips?

2. simsaladimbamba, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

simsaladimbamba

1. SB will improve waiting times on long calculations, like rendering 3D or transcoding video. It will not really improve fraping.

2. Better buy the standard model and get an after market SSD like the OCZ Vertex II and use the HDD in the OptiBay. It will be much cheaper that way.

3. Ask Intel, they come up with the names for their projects, which are locations AFAIK. The next one after SB is called Ivy Bridge, then Haswell, then comes Rockwell.

3. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

Thanks...

Appreciate the reply. So for the things I use my computer for (your standard email, web, light gaming, maintaining a large database - I run a greyhound rescue group, website design, publishing, photo editing, etc.) I'm not looking at a major difference.

Last question - I run Windows 7 on my MBP. I can either partition the SSD (main disk) and run it there, or put it on the HDD, correct? If I put it on the SSD, I'll still be able to save files, etc. on the HDD while in Windows?

Thanks again, appreciate the help.

4. mwhq macrumors member

1. No (short answer) - Current i5/i7 chips used were a huge stepup in peformance. It moved 64 bit OS forward, hyperthreading, memory bandwidth, virtualisation is improved greatly.

SB will imrove 3d modelling, video processing, rendering a bit but it's still keeping it's 32nm, overclocking limited, no great peformance enhancement. If you want to wait for something worth waiting for then 'Ivy Bridge' is the next big revamp.

2. No real point in an external SSD running with an internal 7200RPM HDD, your read/write speeds will be limited by FW, and HDD peformance. internal SSD is a nice option but, even with an internal SSD and external SSD on a laptop your not going to get the same speeds as a desktop with PCI express cables.

3.Check this out

5. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

6. simsaladimbamba

I got that, mwhq might have missed that. You can still do that with an aftermarket SSD, take a look at MacSales or Newegg.
    Also iFixIt has many HDD replacement guides.

7. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

Yep, I was replying to the other person. I could tell you got it!

I've already done one HDD replacement on the current MBP, so not too scared to do that. Just thinking about what drive I'll want to use for what stuff.

8. simsaladimbamba

I don't know about that, maybe MRoogle can give you some pointers as to how install Windows onto an HDD located in the OptiBay (I vaguely recall it not being possible).
    As to have access to HFS+ formatted volumes via Windows: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11568828&postcount=3

9. freddy-b macrumors regular

yea the vertex 2 is an excellent drive.. on my pc i got 2 Vertex 1s running in raid0 and its flamin fast.. i cant imagine what it would be like on a mac :)

10. mwhq macrumors member

SSD internally good option for obvious reasons...I have the Vertex in my DAW as a system drive and blimey it's a beauty! Highly recommend.

11. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom