Some Site Improvement Ideas

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by janitorC7, Nov 11, 2007.

1. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

Dont get me wrong, I love MacRumors, just some things that I would like to see improved on.

1. a new design, I know that this has been brought up in the past, and yes, I do like the site , but change is always nice somthimes, I really think that a contest in the web development and design forums would be a great place to come up with a new design, heck, I would even be willing to help out.

2. Greater customization over our public profile pages. I would like to have more fields so that we can know more about our community, music, movies, ect.

2. in the profile pages, i think that the picture should be laid out differently. if you notice the way that it is now, the row that it is in auto stretches, and makes the left side of it way bigger than it needs be.

3. Some intigration with last fm or some other social music service that is out there, so that we can use thoes services so others can see our currently being played on itunes type things.

4. I know that we are trying to suport that the iPhone views websites from the real web. but there are some optimizations that would be nice. first, I would like to see a version of macrumors that is meant for the iphone, other sites have done it, and we could do a good job at it, currently I have to double tap in to see the forum topics on the left, and double tapping also get rid of the dots that are greated from the unordered list, so I cannot see where new topics begin.

5. also mac guides in the left sidebar do not work.

6. I wish that the ad free for members worked on all pages, guides dect. (not a big deal).

7. I wish that when when there are image links on the home page, and on forum, that they would open in a lightbox instead of in a pop-up, my popup blocker does not stop this, but im sure that some may.

8. also the buddy list and groups in the forums, I dont really think they are used, so maybe get rid of them .

9. also adding to the iphone thing from earlier, I would love there to be a forum spy that worked well on the iphone.

anyway, these are just some of my ideas.

Dont get me wrong arn, I love the site the way it is, just thought I would open some conversation, just my way on trying to improve the community that I really do love.

Cool Guys

JC7

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

8. I use the buddy list all the time, it's open right now. It doesn't get in the way of anything so getting rid of it isn't going to solve any problems. My two cents.

3. janitorC7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

really, just wondering, what do you use it for?

oh, and some other ideas

10. have a current topics page have a list of the last 10 or some topics that you have been a part of, I know you can use your recent posts like this, but if you just had like a whole bunch of posts in one topic, you wont really see your others that well.

11. kind of similar to the last, but an online page with your subscriptions, not just emailed to you, could use java script to put somthing in the top right hand corner when it happens.

12. add a mark to a forum spy topic that we are have participated in.

13. allow users to login from the home page, and have things like PM's and that type of information in a box on the home page, I;m just talking about intigrateing it a little more.

Again great jobs guys, any other opinions?

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I currently have over 120 people on my buddy list, all kinds of people, not just friends... and I like to see who is around to chat with at any given time. I can also use it to broadcast PMs directly to multiple recipients if I'm so inclined.

Also, before I became a moderator, I used to filter PMs by only accepting them from buddies, a setting in your control panel. Very useful for a loudmouth like me who used to get a lot of unwelcome PMs. ;)

5. janitorC7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

haha I can imagine that BV...

ha, well then cross that one off the list...

edit: which now leave me with one more request, adding the ability to cross out text, haha (okay, that one is not really needed that much...)

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You mean like this?

7. janitorC7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

ahhhh, never bothered to try just putting in the HTML, just figured it would not work, it it was not listed, oh well

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

9.) FS chugs through quite a lot of ram on a computer so i doubt the iphone could handle it

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I doubt that's an issue, the iPhone has ~ 128 mb RAM (although a lot of this will be used by the OS). It has plenty of resources available.

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

FWIW, and other vB codes are listed here.

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well then i would definitely say that it would be an issue, after a minute with FS open in Safari activitiy monitor is showing 65MBs in use and it is going up still. Through it the OS and then perhaps iPod and then you will be running out very quickly.

12. janitorC7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

I use FS on my iPhone without a proablem, well somtimes there is a proablem where the thread will open in a new window, but when I try to go back to the FS page, its also gone to the tread.....

But yea, I use it on my iPhone without a proablem, I would just love some interface improvements that would make it appear more readable on the iPhone

13. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Fair enough, perhaps Safari on the iPhone is better at handling its memory then on real OS X

14. janitorC7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

who knows.... if so, then apple should fix the real OS X

actually does anybody know a way to view this information from the iPhone?

15. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Not sure if this would work but you could SSH in and run top.

16. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

An improvement I would like to see for the forums would be an option for more than 40 post per page. The more the merrier really. :)

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If you subscribe to a thread you get a check mark.

I agree that there should be an option for 50.

18. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

We'll see :)

there is mobile.macrumors.com though it might not be exactly what you are talking about.

Working on it...

I dislike lightboxes. Safari's pop-up blocker doesn't affect our image popups. Are you using a different one?

Hmm....

19. janitorC7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

The forums on mobile.macrumors dont work on my iphone, i just get some things that are like telling me numbers to press, but I dont have a keypad on my iphone.

and arn dislikes lightboxes, this kind of surprises me, granted I can understand how somtines they take extreamly longtimes to open, but with proper customization to open immediatly, and without an effect, I find them quite nice..... and I use safari, and have no proablem opening the images

and I;m glad to know that you are working on the new features........

out of curiosity, arn, do you do anything else besides macrumors, like what does god do when he is not presiding?

20. jng macrumors 65816

jng

I think it'd be nice of MR got a redesign but I don't consider high on the priority list at all.

I just don't want it to get too cluttery. I think that's the problem that drives me nuts about the web today: clutter. Look everywhere and you find clutter esp. as people move in the direction of social networking.

I think if people wanted to list their music, they could in their biography field or something. I'd like MR to remain largely a Mac fan community and not move in other directions...

A few weeks ago, I had someone randomly PM me about getting a job in Germany, a total newbie without any posts. Like I'd said, I'd like to keep it strictly a Mac community. There are subforums for things like music and I think that's fine.

21. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

I like the mostly standard vbulletin look and feel. Makes it easy to find your way around.

My only wish for the site is that we could turn off the off topic forums completely - just delete them from my perspective. :p I'm sooo tempted to join those discussions, but they are sooo pointless.

22. janitorC7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

The things that you are talking about were my same concerns. But when I looked at it, it seemed like there is so much of this community, that is just that a community, and these forums are filled with musicians, designers and filmmakers, just so much diversity in here, I thought that it might be interesting to explore.

23. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I use it quite a lot. (HTC Tytn I, under T-Mobile UK, WM5) However, the setting for number of posts per page is broken. No matter what I set it to, it only gives me around 5 posts per page, when I'd rather have 20 or 30. Sometimes I go back to the usual non-mobile forum if I want to read a lot on my phone.

I do, and it doesn't work there either.

Appears on TV and talks about Apple.

24. pake macrumors regular

14)
    A more precise way of finding your posts and posts related to yours would also be nice. You can suscribe to post and find the ones you've started or replied to; it would be great if you could also find posts that quote you. Many times you leave a threat and don't come back, not reading later posts that may be relevant to you.

25. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

search for posts "quote pake" might be quick/dirty way to do it

only works if your username is unique.

arn