Some tips to save storage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aditya_S, May 21, 2016.

1. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

What are some ways to save storage on my 16GB iPhone? I have already backed up my photos to Google Photos and then deleted them from my device. What else can I do to save storage?

2. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

Delete apps. The only way to save on storage is to not put stuff on your phone. Use the browser for email and facebook etc. use the cloud to store files.

3. 960design macrumors 68000

Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage (right column) > Manage Storage

See what is using the most memory and remove it or work around it.
    Also Turn off Backups. They tend to get very large over time.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Why would backups affect storage used on the device?

5. pika2000 macrumors 68030

I had the experience of needing to trim down my storage requirements as I had a 16GB loaner while my 64GB 6S was serviced. Things that I did:
    1. I turned on iCloud photo library and have iCloud backup my photos, and set it to "optimize storage." When the storage is getting low, iCloud will automatically save space by showing resized photos on the iPhone. The originals are saved in iCloud and only downloaded on demand. (Google Photos' "unlimited storage" will reduce the quality of your photos).
    2. I reviewed the apps I have on my phone. I deleted apps that I have not used since last month, meaning I probably don't need them. Same thing with games. Properly coded apps/games can store their data on iCloud, and I won't lose anything when I reinstall the apps if needed.
    3. I utilized smart playlist on iTunes to automatically cycle my music so I don't have to have all my music on the phone.

I went from a 64GB 6S with less than 30GB free storage into the 16GB loaner and still have ~2GB free storage that I can use for music. Not too bad. If course, I rather have 64GB to begin with, but yeah 16GB is actually doable.

6. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

They don't, typical internet misinformation.

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Delete....

notes,calendar entries,reminders, iMessages and texts,emails,unused apps,video,music,tones.

I use Dropbox.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Don't really think notes or calendar entries or reminders or plain texts take up that much space. Those with media might.

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I thought that until i saw the tips on the net and set about deleting them which freed up quite an amount of storage on my iPhone and iPad.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Odd. I don't see how those would take up much space and they aren't listed as taking it up much on a few devices that I deal with.

11. Aditya_S thread starter macrumors 6502

I kind of wish they allowed us to delete stock apps. I haven't even launched apps like stocks, tips, podcasts, find friends etc.

12. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

13. Aditya_S thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm a student, so it was all I could afford. I kind of wish I waited for the Galaxy S7 which has expandable storage and 32GB base model, but I chose iPhone instead.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

That likely wouldn't free up that much space.

15. bufffilm, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016

bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Deleting unused stock IOS apps will only net you a modicum of space back, particularly if they weren't ever used.

Photos and music are the two biggest space hogs, but also look at attachments in iMessage and email as well. If you used Spotify and cached songs...that can be sizable. It was on my iPad...

Look under storage & iCloud usage - manage storage and look the list thru.

16. 960design macrumors 68000

It will not save storage on device, it will save storage on iCloud, which will 'sort of' extend your device storage by 5GB.

17. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The biggest thing is "Optimize phone storage" for the Photos app.

A better option is to use Google Photos, enable automatic uploads, then delete all your photos from your phone. They'll all still be on Google Photos which offers unlimited storage on photos under 16 MP.

18. Aditya_S thread starter macrumors 6502

Already use that. Said it on the original post.

19. JorahTheExplorer macrumors newbie

JorahTheExplorer

The biggest thing for me was subscribing to Apple Music and deleting locally stored music.

20. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Delete apps

21. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

22. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Just a note of caution. The "free" option on google photos will still recompress your photos significantly, even if they are 16MP and under. It's only good for casual photos, not for archiving your actual photos.

23. BigMcGuire, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016

BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

http://petapixel.com/2015/05/30/jpeg-compression-test-google-photos-vs-jpegmini/

I have to agree, I can't tell a difference either - but I'm extremely far from a pro. I do this all the time on my iPhone 128GB out of habit from when I had my 16GB iPhone (I clear photos locally after they get backed up to Google Photos). Just yesterday at the Bug Fair at the Natural History Museum (Los Angeles, California), I took 1.5GB of photos and videos. Why keep all that local when you don't have to? Yes, it gets compressed (once uploaded to Google), but in return for almost no drop in quality, I get unlimited photo storage.

What do you think of that article? Not being a pro myself, very interested in other's opinions on it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re parent post: When I had my iPhone 16GB (which I had up until the iPhone 6+) - I would do most of my surfing on Chrome and not install any apps if I had to. Hangouts for communicating with family. Google Photos for storing (and locally deleting) photos. Google Music (with limited cache or no cache) for music. No one I know uses iMessage otherwise, delete those regularly especially if you send images/videos. I use gmail for email (not the Apple mail app). I did 16GB for years and years, it's doable, but almost impossible today. Recently upgraded my iPad Mini 2 (16gb) to an iPad Mini 4 (64gb) and it's so liberating, I'd highly recommend not eating out for a few weeks to pay for the increased storage.

24. pika2000 macrumors 68030

I recompress my pictures into smaller sizes all the time for social media. For that purpose, Google Photo is fine.

However, the original concept that Google Photo's offering is that it will "backup" your photos. If Google Photos is supposed to be a "backup" of my original pictures, than it shall be the same as the original, not recompressed or whatever, regardless if I can see the difference or not. It's especially worrisome if the utility can delete the original, leaving you with the recompressed photos. That's not backup. Imagine if you have 320kbps MP3, and Google said you can backup your unlimited MP3 into their servers, but it will be recompressed into 192kbps. You won't be able to tell the difference casually, but that's not what you want.

Luckily there's a setting to force original uploads instead of this recompressed stuff (which will use up the quota).

But that's me. Again, if you don't care, it's fine.
    Note that flickr is offering 1TB for free, true backup.

25. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Stream media you occasionally listen to. Or all of it.
    Don't install crap you don't need.

Done.

Theres simply no need to carry your entire media collection with you at all times.