Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ldamp

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
My issue is similar with most (13" MBP with Touchbar), the 3 finger drag doesn't work well in the top-left corner area of the touchpad. It's fine when I start the 3 finger drag from the middle of the trackpad. Not a huge issue now that I know it has to do with the area of the trackpad, was a quick adjustment. Hopefully they fix in the next macOS update.

Given the big change in the size of the trackpad, while it's slightly annoying, I'm ok with the likely iterative process in tweaking the palm rejection algorithms to work better with gestures.

I received my MacBook today and I have exactly the same issue. What I noticed is that drag at drop is working without problems when I use the right side of the trackpad. The left side is sometimes working and sometimes not.

ldamp

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
I think you are right that you can expect sometime for a product with a premium price. But this looks like a software issue and could maybe be solved with an update. So yes you are right that we can expect something for that price, but we need to give Apple a change to solve the early bug fixes (like a lot of other products from other vendors also have at the launch)

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Given that three finger drag is not an option for many users, what are the alternative settings to use? The only one I can find is to click and hold, which is absolutely terrible. For one thing, if you're trying to move a file if you click on it a little too hard force touch will open it.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008

A small but growing number of users have reported issues using the "three finger drag" gesture on the new MacBook Pro's trackpad.

late_2016_macbook_pro_trackpad.jpg

Affected users say the gesture either works only intermittently or does not work whatsoever on both 13-inch and 15-inch late 2016 models.

MacRumors reader Luke said the three finger drag gesture does not work in the upper left side of his MacBook Pro's trackpad.Some users have speculated the trackpad's palm rejection feature could be to blame, particularly since the gesture appears to be buggiest along the edges.

A handful of topics have been posted about the issue on the MacRumors discussion forums (1, 2, 3, 4) and Apple Support Communities over the past few weeks.

MacRumors reader David:MacRumors reader Mustafa:Apple Support Communities user Darren:MacRumors forum member C.clavin:"Three finger drag" is a Multi-Touch gesture supported on both traditional and Force Touch trackpads on many MacBook Pro models. It lets you use three fingers to move the active window on your screen without clicking.

On OS X Yosemite and later, the gesture can be toggled on by clicking on System Preferences > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad > Trackpad Options > Enable Dragging. Select "three finger drag" from the dropdown menu and check off the box.

Apple does not appear to have publicly acknowledged the issue, while it remains unclear if the issue is software or hardware related. If related to software, the issue will likely be addressed in a future macOS Sierra update.

Article Link: Some Users Experiencing 'Three Finger Drag' Issues on New MacBook Pro
[doublepost=1480869027][/doublepost]Not only the three-finger drag is affected in Sierra on ForceTouch trackpad but also the three-finger tap is affected. The three-finger tap used to be the gesture to "look-up" the word over which the trackpad pointer is hovered. This feature is automatically configured for ForceTouch on ForceTouch-capable-trackpad systems, but the three-finger tap is still available in the Trackpad preferences for this function. However, when selected, it is flakey, and it doesn't work more often than it works. When the same Mac is paired with an external Magic Trackpad (generation 1), the three-finger tap gesture works perfectly (like it has always had). This is pretty disruptive to my workflow.

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
What's odd is that after owning the rMBP for a few weeks all the three finger gestures now work fine. As far as I know there hasn't been any OS or firmware updates. I wonder why it works all of a sudden?

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Same issue here. Its annoying, but it "feels" like this should be fixable in software.

Somebody forgot to tell the programmers that the size of the touchpad has increased!

I've noticed this as an issue. It's the one thing that's niggling me about the new 15". Fingers crossed it can be fixed with a software update.

I got mine today, and I've played with it quite a bit. Mostly I give it a very big thumbs up. The speaker quality and volume is a massive improvement over previous models. Contrary to many, I think the new keyboard is awesome. Sleek, positive response, I can definitely type more quickly, and there's very little light bleeding out from the edge of the keys. No showy illuminated Apple logo on the lid. I can live without MagSafe and look forward to plugging it into a USB-C monitor. Fingerprint sensor and touch bar are actually useful.

phillr

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2007
Did the latest masOS release fix this issue? If I buy a Macbook Pro now, will it come pre-installed with the latest version?

sjud9227

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
Definitely having the problem here. I use 3-finger drag extensively and it's really slowing down my workflow not being able to rely on it.

Oddly enough, for me the 3-finger drag seems to be the most consistent when I start from the top-right of my trackpad.

I completely agree! It's one of my favorite things about the trackpad and it always irritates me when I get on a Windows laptop! I have found the "solution" though. You have to make sure that you start to use the three finger drag that your three fingers are parallel with the keyboard. I've found that when my fingers are angled in some way that it does not recognize all three fingers and usually treats it as a secondary click. So far I'm near 100% when I start with my fingers it a straight line. It's a pain in the ass, but this makes me think it is software related and hopefully we can get a fix!

danrhiggins

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2012
Having come from a MacBook Air where 3-finger drag/select was far and away my most common gesture I have been very frustrated that the operation on the the MBP was inconsistent. So this morning (December 19) I spent an hour with Apple Support. The answer: "The 3-finger drag feature was only intended for and designed for moving windows around. It as never intended for doing something like select text." This was according to what seemed like level 3 support - the people who back up the people who answer the phone. The support person (someone named Mike) pointed me to the following article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204609

Bottom line - According to Mike at Apple Support, the capability so many of us enjoyed on our MacBook Airs for the past few years was not supposed to work that way. So, if you are on the latest firmware and sofware (which I am: Sierra 10.12.2 and firmware 1039) and have all the correct options set such as Tap To Click, etc. (which I do according to the Apple support people) and it still doesn't work consistently. This functionality was available on my prior system (MacBook Air) but the apparent excuse Apple is making is that it wasn't documented to work the way so many of us were using it. Therefore, no obligation to fix it and I am screwed. There is no fix coming. There is no answer. (Even though it was an Apple store employee who showed me how it worked to select text, draw objects, etc. on my MacBook Air.)

I want to be sure that people know what they are getting if they buy one of these MacBook Pros. Had I known, I would not have purchased it. And since Apple strung me along with non-solutions to the problem I am past the 14-day window and unable to return this MacBook Pro to get my money back so I can revert to my older MacBook Air which worked the way I liked.

JoeTokyo

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2016
I in Thailand, also a huge fan of 3-finger dragging but I have to say that I'm really disappointed with my new MacBook Pro 13"'s 3-finger dragging problem. It's really annoying after I have been using it for long time.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
"The 3-finger drag feature was only intended for and designed for moving windows around"

If they got that bit consistently working, however, I suspect there wouldn't be an issue with the other cases you mention. If you pinch your three fingers together, dragging a window is pretty reliable. But if they are splayed, not quite so reliable. That being the case, it does sound like something that could be addressed in software.

burjoes

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2017
I have had this issue since day one. It works less than half the time. I often have to start dragging three times before it works. I usually use it for dragging windows and it is no more reliable doing that than it is when dragging to select text.

danrhiggins

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2012
No, 10.12.3 did not fix this issues. It was not even mentioned. I feel that the problem may result from the new trackpad hardware and Apple is afraid to admit there is an issue as fixing it would require hardware changes. Major fail on the part of Apple. BTW, I now need to carry a Magic Trackpad (which works as always showing that the software works) with me along with the dongles.

Reactions: e_moji

25ghosts

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
No, 10.12.3 did not fix this issues. It was not even mentioned. I feel that the problem may result from the new trackpad hardware and Apple is afraid to admit there is an issue as fixing it would require hardware changes. Major fail on the part of Apple. BTW, I now need to carry a Magic Trackpad (which works as always showing that the software works) with me along with the dongles.

This issue is going to blow up seriously within the next brief time. It is a very serious issue and there is but one fix for this and that is to lay down the index finger of one hand on to the edge of the trackpad while doing the three-finger-drag with the other hand. This will effectively bypass palm-rejections which is the root to the evil.

The more folks getting vocal about this the sooner we'll see improvement or free replacement of all trackpads, if the hardware is the problem. The problem is known to Apple as well as Apple Care and have been for a long while. If 10.12.4 does not fix the issue you can rest assure that the issue is not software fixable. And will need a hardware replacement.

I received the 2016 Late MBP the first time 4 weeks ago and had to replace it immediately due to Manufacturing Error. Then waited another 3 weeks to the replacement which is on the verge of being brought back too due to constant three finger drag misses and random shutdowns.

I now understand why this device is so expensive. Apple was probably expecting to replace the device 2 or more times for each user due to difficulties :)
[doublepost=1487340065][/doublepost]
The answer: "The 3-finger drag feature was only intended for and designed for moving windows around. It as never intended for doing something like select text."

That is actually re-assuring and will force them to come up with a fix. Because you cannot move windows about without the os loosing the three-finger-drag CONSTANTLY. So the feature is not working as it was designed. If they fix the three-finger-drag for dragging windows it will automatically fix the selecting of text...

Awesome...

If they don't fix this, Microsoft will have a field trip mocking Apple for their inadequateness. I mean, this is not just about three finger drag it is about anything with more fingers NOT working on their flagship lap top...

The Trackpad is THE steering wheel of this device. This very same trackpad is touted by Apple as being a thing of genius. And it can't even reliably recognize more than two fingers before messing up totally. Imagine the Youtube videos of this. This will totally once and for all ridicule this device beyond anything which has already been posted. And rightfully so. I paid 4100 EURO for a device which basically can't be steered. Imagine buying ANY car where the steering wheel aint working as soon as you need to make turns quickly after one another ?

I dont think any car manufacturer would state that the car was not designed to make 5 consecutive turns immediately followed by each other. This is a joke and it is even worse that Apple actually has the power to make people accept that a 4000 EURO device should NOT have a steering wheel able to perform right.... This is scientology-style !

e_moji

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2017
15-inch 2016 MBP with Touch Bar running 10.12.3. Experiencing the same issue.

Except when in meetings I'm always using an external keyboard and a Magic Trackpad, so this issue doesn't cause me much trouble. Took me a while even to notice it.

On my machine three-finger drag seems to work quite well in the lower-right portion of the trackpad. Good enough for meetings.

This is the only noteworthy issue I've had with the 2016 MBP so far. Love everything else about it.

alexballvideos

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2017
Has anyone got a fix for this?
Received a custom order 2016 15" and ended up returning it a day later as I was going bonkers with the glitchy three finger drag. I use it non-stop every day mostly in final cut pro and adobe app's (lots of clicking and dragging) and on my 27" iMac and 13" Retina its been excellent. Had an RSI injury a few years ago and feel the click-less setup with tap to click and three finger drag, along with better arm & wrist positioning has been a big part of no more injuries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.