Some websites have no regard for iPhone users

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Oct 28, 2011.

1. dontwalkhand, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

http://t.co/PPQthw8u
    [​IMG]

Check out this picture. The more you scroll to the right to try to catch that 'X' close button, the more the ad moves further and you can't press it. How many of you guys come across stupid websites such as this one, and what usually is your solution short of going to the computer to view the website.

I know that sites are supposed to have ads to fund them, but when they make it so I can't view the site, what's the point?

And for those who are going to complain why I didn't upload, blame mobile safari for now allowing uploads of my pics to a website. I had to use the twitter app.

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Zoom out versus scrolling -- it's trying to place the ad and is assuming that you're on a bigger screen than what the iPhone has. Or stop going to the site.

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

You have to remember that the world wide web was never designed for touch screen devices (of which the iPhone is not the most popular).

5. j4bles macrumors member

I do believe that the iPhone does reign supreme for mobile web traffic.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Ouch!!! ;):p

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That depends on whether you look worldwide or in specific countries, and how you choose to measure it, but the iPhone is not usually in first place.

8. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Does the same on the SGS2. Cannot catch the X because it always moves away.

I just decide to not go to the site. After all so far sites which have done this are the ones promoting freebies ;)

9. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I wonder if the webmaster is even paying attention. When I tried to work with some web people (getting them to make a client a site), they can be downright stubborn. I tell them to make sure that the site works on iPhones and iPads, they tell me "Why? Not everyone uses these devices"...I say "You should always design for the lowest common denominator"...as a user, I shouldn't have to care about what my device is to go on your site...sheesh some web developers.

10. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Can't you just link us to the site?

11. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

When you consider overall web traffic, iPhone usage is next to nothing. Why would a website target the iPhone when the amount of visiting ( iPhone ) users will be so low?

12. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I will soon try this on my iPad 2... No questions if it's about the big screen then.

13. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

The iPhone is the most popular. Even though Samsung sells more smartphones they have over 100 models. Same goes for the rest of android.

14. Zepaw, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

My old bank's web site would force you into using their awful mobile site with no go to full site option. There are apps to get around that at least.

15. lilo777 macrumors 603

It does not. iOS does but that includes iPods and iPads.

16. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes but the ad is very selective and only shows up some of the time.

17. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Ah, I understand now, sorry.

18. Daveoc64, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

In terms of Web Browser marketshare, iOS (not just the iPhone) is not the most popular.

Every Android device might be different, but the browser they use is the same - that's the significant part.

You don't need to target an HTC Desire or a Samsung Galaxy S2 - you just target the Android browser.

Just like how you don't need to treat an iPod touch differently if you're developing a web site for an iPhone.

Believe what you want, but the facts say otherwise.

19. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It shouldn't matter. The way I see it is, I should be able to use any device I want to view your website. It is like saying I'm not allowed to watch NBC unless I have a tv made by RCA. You don't need to make the website mobile optimized, but you don't need to be an ******* to mobile users either.

Having an unclosable ad where I can't view your website makes it so I'll never go to that site again. What do the webmasters want me to do, write the URL down and then go to my Mac and visit it when I get home?

20. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

This happened to me a couple days ago when I was on the Armani Exchange website. It's beyond aggravating. But all you have to do is zoom out and the x will be clickable.

21. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

What if that device doesn't support all of the features that the site uses?

That's not the web site's problem.

22. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Yes, but in my case, the website would otherwise work just fine if it wasn't because of the shoddy coding of the ad. If you refresh the page a couple times, the ad won't show up, and you'll be able to manipulate the website just fine from the iPhone. They deliberately ruin it for the sake of the ad!

23. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The ad is still part of the site.

There are simply things that a small touch screen device wont handle well.

While it might not provide the best user experience, there's little that can be done to solve these problems (outside of dropping the ads which isn't exactly an option).

24. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I noticed something similar happening in cydia lately. Package descriptions get covered by 2 huge ads, and theres no way to close them. :(

25. macingman, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

The iPhone makes up a good chunk of iOS sales. iPhone users use the browser significantly more than android users which has been shown in many studies.

I see way more banks and other important sites having their sites optimized for iPhone and not android.