Somebody's posting content from other sites

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by jtara, Dec 27, 2018.

1. jtara macrumors 68000

Maybe this is not news, but it's a new spammer ploy to me.

Somebody posted a question verbatim from Tom's Hardware. But it wasn't the original author (who has now created an account here and commented).

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-pool-it-with-the-dram.2161079/#post-26945354

Someone let the OP know on Tom's Hardware, and he came here and set up his own account and commented.

There is a (I hope incorrect) assumption that it was "a Macrumors bot" that did the original post.

It's certainly common for bots to post some very generic comments that bear some slight relationship to the subject of a forum. And I've seen some attempted "AI" that makes some meaningless jumbled-up response that quotes a previous comment.

This is the first time I've seen one just copying a post from somewhere else wholesale.

The (presumed) bot hasn't made a second post or comment. Presumably waiting to age-out of newbie?

ALMOST a perfect scheme, except that they posted in the wrong area, AND eventually came around to the original author on the other site.

Is this a common thing? A "sleeper" account?

Thought I should give a heads-up!

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

thanks for the heads up. I replied there. No idea what the motivation is. It's not something we do.

arn