Someone stole my friends iPhone 3GS!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hamoodi, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Hamoodi macrumors member

We were in the mall, and we were walking around for awhile so we decided to sit down on those black massage chairs. I guess his iPhone slid out of his pocket and someone stole it. After many calls to it to find it, someone picked up and then hung up. Then proceeded to shut off his phone. But his mom called ATT and canceled the Data plan but luckily he only payed $50 for the phone. I am SUPER-PARANOID with my iPhone as well as all my electronics and if that happened to me I would have a HEART ATTACK :D . But this is a just a story for you guys lol.

2. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Yeah I'd be really pissed myself. I have the findmyiphone app and an SMS based one on my iPhone 4 but you never know.

3. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

That sucks, the worst is when you wear sweatpants you have to be on your guard cause my iPhone would always slide out of my pocket

4. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Sounds more like he lost it.

Anyway be interesting to see what happens with the replacement. Unless some magic insurance it will be at least a couple hundred to replace, and you are still tied into that contract.

5. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

sounds like he lost it to me, my cousin just lost his iPhone 4, fell out of his pocket he thinks when he was getting out of he car.

called the phone, the person who found it already turned it off

6. weckart macrumors 68040

Get the IMEI blacklisted. Won't get your phone back but at least it will be useless.

7. EddyP macrumors 6502

Don't spend your money on one if it's that big a deal for you. It's only a darn phone.

8. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

If he is in the US this will not work. Carriers here do not blacklist IMEIs for some reason.

9. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I would think it could do with the fact that phones are resold, so blacklisting IMEIs after a sale could cause problems.

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I recall that FindMyiPhone will be run during setup in iOS 5.

11. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

That does not seem to be a problem in Europe where they do blacklist IMEIs and people resell phones there. Generally the only time a phone's IMEI would be blacklisted is if the phone was reported stolen or lost. Someone would have to be a giant douche to request that a phone's IMEI be blacklisted after selling it to someone.

12. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

It wasn't stolen, more like he lost it, and somebody found it. Then decided to keep it :p

13. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

If someone finds someone else's property and decides to keep it instead of turning it over to the police and/or trying to contact the owner then their actions legally become theft.

14. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Every carrier in the US will Black list imei, EXCEPT ATT. I guess they figure why black list the phone if they can potentially get a new customer.

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Getting assaulted by two guys who take your phone = having your phone stolen

Sitting down at the mall and having your phone fall out of your pocket = you losing your phone.

16. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

Really? For some reason I thought they would not. Maybe they did not in the past or maybe I was just mistaken. Anyway, good to know.

17. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

and unfortunately, these people exist.

i say it's better to just move on and next time take better care of your things.

if i'm out, i always check my pockets after standing up. whether it be the mall, movies, bar, wherever.

18. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

Show me, counselor, where is statute, case law, or other jurisprudence that "legally" says this?

Typically there is no duty owed to return lost property.

19. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

http://www.lectlaw.com/def/l007.htm

20. EddyP macrumors 6502

Illinois Estrays and Lost Property Act
    Illinois Compiled Statues 765 1020/27

Thats just one state. Other states have similar laws. Not sure where you live.

I don't know if there is any legal consequence for not complying. But we can stop pretending there is no legal duty owned when you find property. That's just not true everywhere.

I'm not saying I agree with this silly law. But it appears to be real.

21. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

well if you found a money bag outside of a Brinks truck and it had identifying marks on it or an iPhone that had someone's personal info on it.

would both be theft? or would just one? or none?

22. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

Ah ha, someone gets it :) That's what I was aiming for.
    I will concede I was wrong but I think those laws were written more for the Brinks scenario than for a misplaced iPhone.

23. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Get Find My iPhone. Do it asap, because once the phone is gone you can't put it on.

24. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

I didn't know this. =\ I hope the OP's friend finds his phone although it's unlikely.

25. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

OKAY I'm gonna try to settle this.

In OP's situation, someone "took" his phone. The phone-nabber of course is gonna say he found it and well...he didn't necessarily rob your friend.

I would say someone stole my iPhone if they took it out of my hands (which most likely would result in an ass-whooping :D )

And I would say I lost my iPhone meaning its somewhere around my house or laying in some grass...ya know, not in another person's possession.