Someone tell me why I need an iPad?!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by v2kea412, Mar 2, 2011.

1. v2kea412 macrumors member

I just bought a new MBP, and currently have an 08 MBP....Maybe I am not in the targeting group for the iPad, but I am not sure if I would ever use the iPad... Outside of being a gadget freak, what does the iPad allow me to do that i can't do with my MBP, or my android Samsung Mesmerize? Just looking for suggestions, as I would like to be able to justify the purchase....

Thanks in advance!;)

2. LarzStarz macrumors member

Don't buy one, leave more for the rest of us. :)

3. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

4. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

With the iPad 2 ALREADY showing up on Ebay not a bad plan.

OP, personally I believe the iPad is a luxury. If you have a MBP you don't "need" an iPad. It's fun to have. I use mine as an Ereader a ton and hopefully with the new graphics chip and gyroscope the new games released will be amazing. iMovie and Garageband coming is a big deal as well. Those apps along with iWork should bring productivity on the iPad to a new level. So maybe you can replace your MBP in some cases with the iPad. For me, I can never completely switch since I do some app development. I sold my iPad 1 around 2 months ago and will be purchasing the iPad 2 as soon as there is an option for me to input payment information. :D

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If someone has to tell you why you need one, you don't need one.

6. Mac-converted macrumors newbie

Anyone can justify a purchase if they want to. it is a luxury item and if you want it, get it!

7. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

8. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

I didn't know exactly why I was buying mine when I did, but after using it for a few days I realised just how handy it was. Now I consider it indespensible!

9. v2kea412 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! That was really the only helpful post... Although i did like the others... :)

One of those, you don't know until you try it kinda deals.:rolleyes:

10. andrei.barbuta macrumors regular

11. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I have an iPhone 4 and a MacBook Pro, but I don't think I could show up at home with even a refurb iPad ($349) without the wife flipping out. Oh yeah, I also don't need one (but I really WANT one:D).

12. dwhynman macrumors regular

I agree with you. I had the original ipad for about 6 months. It was nice but I think my kids (5 and 3) used it much more than I did. It does not replace a computer. I am glad that it held it's value I sold a 6 month old $829 iPad for $775 after 6 months of use. They are cool and if anyone has the money buy it but if anyone is contemplating buying a mac or an ipad go mac it will be a much fuller experience than an ipad

13. zenio macrumors 6502

Be Smart
    Buy It
    Tell all your friends too

I'll sit back and watch my Apple stock climb :)

14. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

You don't need one. Nobody needs one. You want one. We all do.

So if you have the money get it. If not don't.

15. Davichi macrumors 6502

Why do you need G/f.

Why do you need your cell phone

why do you need a car?

Don't buy it unless you need it then. I will just enjoy mine.

16. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I just don't see the need

I love my iPhone 4 and my MBA 11.6". I just can't see the need for an iPad.

I'd like to see someone post a reason why I need one.

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

Only a fool would think everyone has a need for a tablet.

If you iphone4 and MBA satisfy your needs, good on ya. If they don't, please desscribe the gaps and you'll get lts of help on whether a tablet would fill those gaps.

In other words, if YOU don't know what you might need a tablet, there's no way in heck anyone else is going to. You might well not have use for it. And that's just fine.

18. devinci99 macrumors regular

When I say ipad, I mean either Apple ipad or Andriod Tablet (you pick the flavor).

You only need things to earn a living, pay the bills, put food on the table, put money aside for retirement, protect your family.

Then there are tools that will help you achieve the above much faster and easier.

Then there are little rewards you give yourself for achieving the above... (reasons to work hard: I worked hard all year and just earn a promotion and big raise, I'm going to reward myself with ... so I'll continue to work hard and get another raise).

Then there are gifts you buy for people you love or want to reward...

Then there is everything else ... just because ... (its cool, pretty, new... trendy, luxury, etc...)...

I've seen post where people get an ipad and ask why they need a mbp; because the ipad really does do most casual things that people need a computer for. I've used my ipad much more than I use my laptop. It's convenient and so much later and faster/easier to access and definitely easier to carry around. So my ipad has become my second category item: tools I use to help me make a living easy, better, faster. I don't need it, but it sure makes my life easier. I also have an iphone4S; but I don't use it in the same capacity as my ipad due to screen size.

In the end of the day, its true that these gadgets of overlays. And you probably dont need most of these duplicate functions. It could be you're a gadget freak, but I truly believe form-factor is also a strong selling point. You might the specific form factor of the ipad suitable to help improve the quality of your work-life and/or personal life.

19. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

You need one as it's going to form the parts for the dialysis machine you're going to need after I've beaten you to a pulp for saying you don't need an iPad.

:D

20. Machoo macrumors member

Awesome

Well I find the ipad is my go to device now. I have the iphone 4 and a great computer. But the ipad is just straight awesome. I can use it more comfortably, like laying on the sofa that kind of thing. It really works itself into your life.

21. RenoG macrumors 65816

22. snberk103 macrumors 603

Very few people "Need" an iPad.

I bought v1 when the iPad 2 came out - got a great deal.

I use it when I travel, mostly. Library of books to read on the plane, maps of the cities I'm going to, quickly check the news in the morning, check the weather, check my email (and if I have to reply - it's mostly just to say "I'm travelling, your request will have to wait until I'm back"). Because it's small, I can take it with me just about anywhere. Even if I'm heading into the city for the day, I'll take the iPad just to have something to read at lunch (Burmese Days - George Orwell is the current book) and to email my wife to let her know which ferry I'm catching.

If you are sitting in a plane or a train, or at a table it is quite a good eBook reader. There are loads of free or cheap books out there. I have the complete Sherlock Holmes and Shakespeare libraries, plus a good chunk of what George Orwell wrote. Just finished On The Beach by Neville Shute. Now that is a good book. Gotta watch the movie soon.

I've a couple of the CBC apps on it so I can watch the news, or TV shows, or listen to the radio.

This last trip we used it as an alarm clock in places that didn't have one. Other than the power cord is too short - it got put in some odd places - it works really well that way. Next time we'll bring the extension cord.

Hope this helps.