Someone's obviously trying to scam me! What should I say next? :)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ride9650, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Well, got a spare Ipod touch I don't need with the back to school promo, trying to sell it. Got an offer for $300! Unfortunately I'm fairly certain the person is trying to scam me, I'm wondering what I oughta say next? Should I just call her out or string her along?

Heres what I got back

Thought I should also mention some things that immediately raised alert signs for me, so that, for those who aren't as familiar with craigslist,ebay, etc... you stand a better chance at not getting ripped off.

1. I've already mentioned in the ad that paypal was acceptable.
    2. I've mentioned its new
    3. I've mentioned why I'm selling
    4. Willing to pay $180 more than retail
    5. She wants me to ship internationally
    6. She mentions she wants it to help a colleague replace lost PHONE.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Tell him you wish his sick grandma well and you have the right to refuse to sell to anyone.

3. chocolate632 macrumors 6502

I just read that full artice, and i will have to say THANK YOU for sharing it with us. It was amazing! :D I love the James Bond work they did in the barbershop:D

4. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

In my experience, if she wants you to ship to Nigeria it's a scam guaranteed.

5. 2056 macrumors 6502

6. v8ko macrumors newbie

Just a scammer no doubt about it. I usually dont waste my time with these LOSERS but I sent one of these idiots this response to his inquiry on one of my Les Pauls.

"Right on!

The bank still holds the rights to this guitar so I can go down on the second Thursday of the next odd month and inquire about the monetary supplements to diversify a legitimate compromise of litigation to aquire the rights as we see fit to enable such a purchase at this time in no regard to the presence of financial indebtness to the proprietor or proprietors under act 17b in the bylaws of Madison County Argentina.

Other than that I see no problem.

Mr. Jorge Kiska Stampnitzky"

And this was his reply to my ridiculous e-mail.

"Thank you for the reply to my mail inquiry am quite satisfied with the condition .Am very much interested and i would like to make an outright purchase, so i will appreciate it if you can withdraw the advert from the web.I will pay an extra $50 for the posting to be taken down from Craigslist. I will be paying via certified bank check.Furthermore my mover will be coming over for the pick up..as i might not be available for the pick up myself but am OK with the information from the ad.I will need the following information details to make payment arrangement 1,Your full name to be on the Payment.2 ,Your postal address.3,Your phone number both land and mobile.4,Your postal code.????
    I will really appreciate it buying this item from you.So you get me the required information for your payment to be issued asap.
    Thank you. "

Good rule of thumb, If it sounds to good to be true, it is.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Any time someone offers to pay more than it's worth and ship it out of the country is a scam, plain and simple. Bank money orders are easily faked. Don't bother even talkin to these criminals.

If you posted on craigslist, never ship anything. Deal only in person in a safe public place for cash.

8. Ride9650 thread starter macrumors 6502

hahaha, I remember reading about this!

I'm halfway tempted to try it....

hmmm...

I was gonna go this route and just straight up call the guy on it...perhaps thats the simplest way.

Hahahahaha.

Any other suggestions?

Everyone else = Excellent advice no doubt, and I do thank you, but I am already aware its a scam.

9. R1PPER macrumors 6502

I normally just re-list it with big bold statement like:

ANY NIGERIAN SCAM BIDS OR MONEY LAUNDERING SCAM BIDS WILL BE REPORTED IMMEDIATELY!

at the bottom. they pretty much steer clear then...just forget about it and move on with your life.

10. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Write a nasty batch file (hes probably on windows) and send it over, but tell him that you are sending it in a password protected zip in order to keep your info private. Include the password in the email so he can open the zip though.
    You can make some pretty destructive batch files if you really want to piss this guy off.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Of course it's a scam - anyone who mentions their sick granny and their colleague with a "crashed phone", as part of a long, and irrelevant premable - come on. Wish granny well and avoid the rest of the scam like the plague.

Cheers

12. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

LMFAOOOOO you too i see are a victim of ebays fees cause of some stupid nigerian scammers.

13. Meever macrumors 6502a

Tell em your dying grandma's last words were "Never ship international" so you're going to have to refuse.

14. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Haha. I got a similar scam on Craigslist. I was tempted to reply, but just ended up ignoring the message. I was wondering how one could scam you through Paypal though; doesn't it protect you against these sorts of things?

15. entwife macrumors regular

Haha. It's s mega scam. Almost exactly the same as when I tried to sell my iPhone. They sent me some pretty good fake pay pal emails too.

16. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

That's the easy bit - they just send you a fake PayPal e-mail that says the money has been paid but won't be released to your account until you have confirmed the item has been sent...

17. Ride9650 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, now that i finally have the time to reply to this ******, what does everyone think of this?

I was gonna write back sounding very excited and interested, all the while using very uncommonly heard words and phrases and see what happens.

ooo, better yet, what about writing back in an entirely different language?

unimaginative, I know, but I'm too lazy to construct a fake ipod

18. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

19. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

I can translate into German for you if you'd like.

20. Austin2048 macrumors 6502

Austin2048

dude, its a scam. notice how the person doesnt say the word "iPod" or iPod touch" its "item" or "product". plus, why would they spend 300 bucks plus 80 more bucks for shipping when they can go to apple online and get it for 229 with free shipping? mega scam. that is what you gotta look for when selling stuff on craigslist or where ever. i got tons of these scam emails when i sold my 1G iPod touch

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If it's too good to be true it usually is.

Questions.
    • Can you tell by the message is fake by the sender's e-mail address?
    • Can you log into your PayPal account to verify the authenticity of the e-mail message?

22. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Best thing to do is ....

DO NOTHING !!!!

Responding makes no sense.

23. Ride9650 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oops!
    Too late. Oh well.

I wrote back in chinese essentially saying Im interested and that my paypal email address is f-u@f-u.com

24. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

lol