Someone's using my name. What do I do?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by moonman239, Mar 4, 2015.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Preface: I don't believe this is a case of identity theft.
    Also, "name" here refers to first and last name.

I Googled my name a couple days ago and found a YouTube profile with my name. As far as I know, that's the only thing my profile has in common with this profile.

I PMed the other person, asking him to change his name on his profile. I realize that it's indeed possible that he has the same name, but my name is very unique.

I also updated my channel's description to say "I am not xxxx."

I could also:
    1) Make a picture of myself my profile picture.
    2) Ask YouTube to see if the guy is impersonating me.
    3) Ask the guy to put his face either on his profile or in a video.

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Unique name? You realise how many people there are on the planet right? I have an uncommon surname and was surprised when at a conference many years ago when an American guy rushed up to me to say he had seen my name badge at the entrance table and had been waiting to meet me as he had never met anyone outside his family with the same name.

Unless he is copying your stuff and pretending to be you, not really much you can do IMO.

3. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Person I know very well has no internet footprint at all - they just never use the internet in any way, shape or form, much less social media.

He has a unique name, so he surmised that no one else had it either.

Boy was he surprised when I showed him 4 people on Facebook with his exact name, in his state no less.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I wouldn't worry about it. I think contacting him and asking that he change his name was a bit much.

You are going to run into people with the same last name. Unless he is trying to deceive people or steal your identity, I say leave him and YouTube alone.

5. bgd macrumors regular

The other guy is probably thinking, "Someone is using my name".

You'll probably get a request to change your name in a few days. :D

6. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

There's an actor who is using my name as his stage name which really bugs me. I'll see you in court Hugh Jassman.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

7 billion people in the world, there's bound to be others with the same name. My name is very common and so I've had to deal with this all my life. Make your site unique and personable, and that should hopefully differentiate it from the other.

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

If you had sent me that request I would have laughed my arse off. It is perfectly possible for 2 people to have the same name. You sound pretty paranoid thinking that they must be impersonating you (why would they even want to anyway?).

My surname is a rather unique spelling of a common surname (it is welsh) but I was surprised to find a rather large number of people with the same surname on Facebook (and was rather disappointed to realise that some of them were bat **** crazy tea party supporters and extremist Christian nut jobs, I guess our end of the family is the sensible atheist branch).

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

OP, your name is not guaranteed to be unique in the world. Did no one tell you that?

10. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

So basically you're upset that somewhere in the world, someone has the same name as you? :rolleyes:

12. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I had thought MY name was unique until I saw the movie, Top Secret! At least my name isn't Heywood Jablowme.:p

13. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I would be thankful my last name was not Wong or Wang. Then you might be dealing with thousands or tens of thousands of people with your same name.

14. waynerbbx macrumors member

There are 7.125 Billion people on the planet at the time that I'm posting this. Surely, at least two of those people share the same name.

15. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

According to Wolfram Alpha, there are 2,741 males and 6,406 females with my first name in the US population. Those are actually estimates based on mortality data (from the US Social Security Administration, I assume).

7B people in the world, yes, there's a possibility that two people with unique names have the same name. Unfortunately, some employers/hiring managers will type my name into Google, and I don't want them to get the wrong idea about me.

16. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

If this person shares your name, asking them to stop using it will only be met with derisive laughter.

17. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Well, presumably the other moonman239's interests (Chloe Moretz, tentacle erotica, and Chloe vs Squid fanfics) sufficiently deviate from how you present yourself elsewhere in your online life that hirers will be able to differentiate between the two of you.

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

In a previous job, I was involved in applicant background investigations and this actually came up all the time. Just tell the prospective employer what you have discovered and that it is not you, and you will be fine.

19. waynerbbx macrumors member

That would certainly make for quite a conversation in an interview!!

20. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I have yet to meet someone unrelated to me with the same spelling of my surname. But the internet reveals such people exist, or did exist. One was a famous Shakespere scholar. (I'm not; can't even spell his name.)

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I've been irritated for 6 years getting debt collector phone calls for another David P. It just so happens we have different middle initials, and thankfully different SSNs, but that does not stop the collectors who I believe generate a list of all people with that first and last name and go down the list. Recently I changed my home phone number so hopefully it will be a long reprieve.

22. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Soooo, which one is the real deal? :D

On another, (also) totally irrelevant, note it's one of the advantages of being a man: being googled doesn't bring up all these nude pics..phew!

23. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I think either the old guy with the beard or the chick with the tattoos.

24. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

My educated guess would be this: (David P. + World of Warcraft = gotcha!) :p

Attached Files:

25. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

probably the first thing those pesky collectors do is a search for people with the name they're looking for.....who've recently changed their phone number.....then they start with them :p