Something I don't get

Discussion in 'iPad' started by someone28624, Mar 28, 2012.

1. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

A lot of my coworkers have iPads. I'm totally hooked and constantly trying new apps. When I find a good one, I'll recommend it to a coworker I think will enjoy it. I recommended a 99c game that I've gotten hours of enjoyment out of to a coworker this week, and she told me she couldn't try it because she, "Refuses to pay for apps." Really? You just bought a $500 tablet and you won't buy a 99c game? I don't get it.

I have another coworker who says that she only bought her iPad to browse Facebook and the internet. She hasn't downloaded any apps except Facebook (despite having her iPad 18 months).

An overwhelming trend to me is how many people don't seem to know a lot of things iOS can do. Gestures. Volume/brightness/iPod controls at the bottom, iCloud.

To each their own I guess. One of the beautiful things about the iPad is how customizable it is and how it can shape to your desires. It just seems like a waste to me.

2. Reticent macrumors member

Ah, they will learn. and come to the dark (errrr is it light?) side.

Point is, think about unwrapping that brand new iPad box. pulling the shrink-wrap off of the box and having visions of what you'll do with it dancing in your head.

Then imagine someone telling you everything you need to download. It ruins the vision of what they had and why they bought it. Give them time. they'll see the ways. But let them enjoy the first moments of their new Apple product.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Knowledge as the say, comes with age and experience....They will join in eventually...:)

4. Reticent macrumors member

You know, MacMan45, we've been bouncing off each other in a lot of these threads. I like your groove!

5. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very true. Granted, my first iOS experience was the first generation iPod Touch. And I could hardly wait to get it out of the box to play Super Monkeyball, which was the most fascinating thing I had ever seen when I watched the iPhone keynote.

6. LanEvo macrumors 6502

I will not lie, I am the same way. I generally do not shell out any money for apps, sometimes they go on sale or become free and then I will download it. The only paid app I have is Monopoly b/c I really wanted it and it was on sale for $0.99. Other than that, I take what is free.

7. Skika macrumors 68030

I just met with a friend he has an iPhone 4 and is still on iOS 4.x.

I asked him why he doesn't upgrade to 5.0. He said "what is that?".

8. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh yeah. That too. My one friend went more or less computerless with her iPad long before Apple supported it. She was on iOS 3 something forever. I asked her why she didn't upgrade. "Because my computer is too big of a piece of crap to run iTunes on." Okay, fair enough. When iOS 5 came out I convinced her to go to the Apple Store next time she was at the mall as ask them to upgrade her. They did and she's been living happily ever after with iOS 5's over the air updates since.

9. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

If ppl r happy let them be

Some people save money where they can, and because of that, it may be why they are able to afford a $500 tablet.

Live and let live.

10. TLewis macrumors 65816

Well, "To each their own", is really it. There's nothing wrong with that, as you can do a lot of "customization" with free apps. In fact, many of the people that I know (who have iPads) buy few, if any, apps; most of the ones they use are free.

I, on the other hand, make up for the people who don't buy apps. :p

11. Ccrew macrumors 68020

12. DanSansome macrumors newbie

I only use first gear in my car, I didn't buy it to drive it, I only bought it because everyone else had one.

I totally agree with the OP, making any device "my own" is one of the first things I do, be it with cases, mods or apps. I think this is largely the reason my 4S is JB'd, so it's "mine".

That being said, it did take me a while to start paying the higher prices for some iPad apps. Since owning the new iPad if I think the app will do what I need it to do then price (almost) isn't a factor.

13. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

I have a iPhone and i NEVER bought even 1 game. I've had it since i bought it last year in March. EVERY and i mean EVERY app that i EVER wanted came out as free and i downloaded it, i have the most funny and popular games that you can find in the app store. :) I will maybe.. just maybe buy some apps to my iPad if i now buy it. I'll maybe buy garageband and pages but yeah, who knows? :)

14. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Every time I show someone a new app on my iPhone, or my iPad I always get the same response "Is there a free one?". My response is NO, stop being so cheap and just pay for the App. I try not too download any free Apps unless there just isn't a paid App. I don't need any ads cluttering up my iPad, or phone.

15. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Great!

Attached Files:

• 5.png
      5.png
      File size:
      25.8 KB
      Views:
  16. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

Some people have different needs. Some people just don't care about trends. Some people don't like wasting time with mindless drivel. It's a good thing the iPad can satify the needs of so many people, don't you think?

I bought my iPad so I could keep up with email and internet while on the road. I don't play games, I don't do social media, so most of what I need is available in the built in apps. I did buy an RV park locator app that was useless, and a TV app that controls the tuner on my computer, but other than that the free stuff covers my needs. I tried the dedicated news outlet apps and find I prefer to use the regular websites instead on the iPad.

Yea, choice!

17. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

People are stupid ( I'm no exception) the things that we can justify to ourselves to either do or not do is just amazing.

I have a friend who is a smoker who looks at me in disbeliev if I spend 5-6 dollars on a pineapple and he will spend 8-10 for one pack of smokes that lasts him ONE day....

People balk at spending money on the stupidest things and yet spend tonnes on stuff that makes no sense.

There have been items that I have needed for my home that I couldn't justify the cost of, and yet I will go out and buy a set of bamboo sheets... LOL!

Truly, balking at spending money on an app that has been painstakingly developed by the developer, seems pretty silly. But then again, I spend money on pineapples...

go figure...

Nope, I won't spend .99 on an app, but holy Sheeeit, check out that $17.00 lipstick!!! or ... well you get my drift.

18. andross77 macrumors regular

Great thread! I've never understood why people buy iphones for hundreds of dollars and then spend thousands of dollars over the course of their contract and find it "too spendy" to buy that $0.99 angry birds game or Real Racing game after they ADMIT to me that they would enjoy it.

I totally get people that don't ever play games. That's totally cool. My dad just bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 on Tmobile and he won't spend a penny on apps cause he is a working fiend who emails 24/7. That's why he wanted a smartphone: big screen and email.

It's just the people that ENJOY games like myself but can't mentally get themselves over the $0.99 "barrier." It's funny and sad at the same time. Do people think their time is so invaluable that it is not worth 99 pennies to not have to look at ads every minute or all the time if it's a banner ad?

Do people really think saying no to a $0.99 app they think they would enjoy is going to put themselves in a better financial position this month than last month? :eek:

Someone said it before, but it's true: people are crazy! :D

19. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Exacly my point in the File Management thread. lol

20. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Don't fret such things.......they will fix themselves in time!

21. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Yep I have probably spent a couple hundred on apps. The only thing I wish these developers would do iPhone/iPad apps. I hate paying 9.99 for an app only to work on my iPad.

I only have a few I bought both such as readledocs. But I hated it.

22. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You seem to get it just fine. Why does it matter to you how others use their products? Some people are cheap. Some people spend money like crazy. Some fall somewhere in between.

Preference is preference. Whether it's stupid or not is an entirely separate matter (and subjective).

23. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

The iPad really is a sculpt-able device. People use them for all sorts of stuff. Some people will choose to use the device as a laptop/netbook replacement, some will use it to game, some will use it as a menu, some will use it as a newspaper. It's one of the reasons why the way it currently functions is popular. It's easy, understandable, and natural. Yes, that sounds like a commercial but that's really why people buy the iPad.

24. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Reason is simple... you cannot base the knowledge of the general consumers based on this forum. People attack me for saying that iPad's new naming is confusing, yet your coworkers are sometimes not aware that you can download apps or how to do it.

25. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

A lot of consumers I've talked to don't know the difference between the units. They just say "iPad". There's no differentiation for them. It's a product they consume. When there's a new one, they don't say iPad 2, they say the new iPad.