Something I noticed

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by richxps, Nov 22, 2011.

1. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Weird,almost everyone I seen the past few days either in the mall or at work do not use a case on their iPhones. But here in the forums were going nuts trying to find the perfect one . Now I'm second guessing the whole case thing , do we really need it ?

2. Atmosphere macrumors member

people on this forum are on it for a reason

you don't see everybody in the mall with morbidly obese black women, but i'm sure there's a forum out there for such men

3. sparkstsa macrumors regular

I believe most of us care about resale value. When I sell my used iPhone... it'll look brand new.

4. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

Well, a lot of them might be waiting to find a good case. Some are perhaps shopping for one at that moment. Others might be well-off so they can care less about dropping the phone. There are a lot of factors.

It's normal that you see people on here going nuts over cases. That's why a lot of are probably here in the first place... To look for or talk about iPhone accessories.

I personally get cases that offer minimal bulk and protection. I'm really just looking to protect my phone from scratches and minor bumps and drops.

5. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

A major of people go naked.
    I prefer bumpers to give me minimal protection and a clean look.

6. TuiSong macrumors regular

My country doesn't have any apple stores to wander in to and spin a sob story over how I dropped my iPhone while trying to save a puppy from being crushed under a bulldozer. We also don't have applecare+ here where we can send in the shattered remains of an iPhone and get a free replacement. I do have insurance, but after a year it would value my iPhone at half the purchase price, and we have a $500 excess so making a claim on that isn't really an option either.

So I research as much as possible to find the perfect case that offers a balance of phone protection, usability, and good looks. I would never go without a case because the cost of an slip would be simply too much.

I do think the average consumer is probably not as aware there are options out there, and don't generally care. But they're not the kind of people who actually do anything more with their iPhones but make calls, just like they have mega desktop systems to check on their emails and the idea of running software update never occurs to them over the 5 years they've owned it (yeah true story!)

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't understand this collective argument of "do we need" that you're asking.

Having a case or not having a case is purely a personal choice. The odds of you seeing several people at the mall without them is basic statistics. If you continue to observe people at the same mall, you'll eventually notice more people either with them or without them.

You can then compare that with how many people on MR disclose whether they use a case or not. There are many people here who do not use cases.

I use one for convenience, not so much for protection or as a status symbol. Mine has a clip on it, it's functional to me and serves my needs.

If I didn't desire the clip, I'd use the phone without a case, as that's how I prefer to carry it.

8. bigtrip macrumors newbie

I don't know about where you guys live, but around me I can't remember the last time I saw someone pull out a naked iPhone. I always see them in cases, and it's usually one of those cheap Ifrogz jobbies:)

9. casewhore macrumors newbie

There's millions of Honda Accord or BWM 3's out on the road stock equiped, but there's also hundreds of forums dedicated to how a mudguard or rims / tires will enhance their ownership experience,

Do I need a case, probably not, do I want one that looks cool and maybe offer some peace of mind... hell's yes .... . :)

10. stcizzle macrumors regular

I work at a dental office where we have super rich clients that drive Porsche GT2 RSs and super poor clients who walk to their appointments and average everyday people. and they all schedule their appointments and put them in their phones. My general observation is that the average middle class people who generally all have iPhones have cases on them because they don't want to shell out another 200 bucks if they drop it. Many of our richer clients do not use cases for the pure enjoyment of the superior design of the iPhone and richer ppl generally have the best of everything so if they drop and shatter the glass, 200-600 bucks is pennies to them. They have every tooth crowned and implanted at 2k+ a piece, what's 500 bucks?

11. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Where I am I've observed people with white iPhones don't have cases, while people with black iPhones have cases. I guess people with white iPhones like to show off their white iPhone. I have a white iPhone myself, ATM I'm not using a case. It does have front and back film + lucky labs wrap I love its look. I do care about resale value which is why I'm in a hunt for a white case.

12. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

What the heck does that have to do with anything?

13. TheiPhoneChick macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

Exactly! WTH!

14. ZipZap macrumors 601

You sure...perhaps they have a desmay on the phone.

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

always find it interesting the people that can't decide for themselves if they want a case or not. If it's a good idea to have one or not. looking at what complete strangers are doing either in the mall or on this forum for that matter. best way to decide is right down positives and negatives which ever has the most wins. btw you can always get a case then take it off.. it should be pretty simple for somebody to decide if they want a case or not.

if it matters I have one I like it! little extra protection along with a flair of my personality. btw if somebody doesn't like my case I really don't give a ******* it's for me not you. ;)

[​IMG]

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Completely subjective. Stop assuming that there's some universal "right" choice for subjective matters. If you need/want a case then use one. If you don't then don't use one. You can't determine your preference by polling others.

17. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

Love the case bro!!

18. dthree36 macrumors regular

Its preference... and nothing more. Cases help some identify with their purchase on a more personal level. Some people want their phone to look different. Some want to protect their phone from costly damage. The reason there are so many cases to chose from is to provide a broad array of options for a phone that is very popular.

I love the look and feel of a naked phone but I have already dropped mine twice and I am usually very careful with my phone. Accidents happen every day and I have already spent money trying to get mine to look as it did when I first took it out of the box.

I see several people with Otter Boxes and others with 0 protection. You will find insight on this forum and guidance on various cases to help you as a consumer decide what is best for you. I greatly appreciate others experience with a product so that I can make my potential future purchase wisely and have an idea on what to expect.

It's just preference so do as you wish because its your phone in the end.

19. Atmosphere macrumors member

sorry, i keep forgetting that most people here don't have much a sense of humor

all apple, all business, all day. beep. boop. beep.

20. Manzanas macrumors member

I think it also has a lot to do with your lifestyle. A naked phone for a student or a person who doesn't do much with it might be okay. But let's say you're an EMT, you're on the move and it's likely that you will drop your phone at some point. If you are a mechanic, the dirty environment that you work in would be a good reason to have a case. If you are in law enforcement, it would make sense to have a good case on your phone. So like I said, it's all depends on your lifestyle.

21. mrdm macrumors regular

Naked all the way

Enjoy the design of the phone. It is pretty durable despite the many postings you will see talking about shattered glass. I've dropped mine naked a couple of times and no issues so far. I also know someone who dropped their iPhone 4 with a case (an incase two piece, to be precise) and the front shattered. Unless you are going to go with an otterbox defender or lifeproof type of case I think it comes down to luck on how it lands.

I also know someone using a thick case who scratched their camera lens and needed to replace the backplate as a result.

You'll read many posts from those claiming the phone is fragile, use a case, etc.

For me - I think Apple is a company who has sold millions of consumer devices and through experience and testing is now able to create some of the most durable electronic products available. Enjoy the design and use it without a case.

22. mpossoff, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011

mpossoff macrumors 68020

On weekdays I go with an Otterbox Defender because of my job. On weekends when I'm not on my job I go with very minimal protection with the likes of Apple Bumper and the ZooGue 4S case which I really like.

23. Hey Jude, Nov 24, 2011

Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

And you really think that it is funny to insult an entire class of women?

Back on topic: An older co-worker brought his 4s for me to play with, and he had an Otterbox case on the phone. It was ugly, I thought, and completely detracted from the aesthetics of the phone. However, he is a much older man and is prone to drop things so in his case (no pun intended), it was a wise decision.

For me, I will probably get a bumper, and go without a screen protector as I don't like them. I will definitely use a pouch when I need to protect the phone when it is in my purse.

24. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I use PureTek Shield Kit for iPhone 4/4S front and back and it's crystal clear, don't even know it's there. The front and back PureTek shields are 'compatible' with the Otterbox Defender. On weekdays the Defender is a must have because of my job. But when I get home Friday afternoons and switch out to very minimal protection and still have front and back shields.

25. labman, Nov 24, 2011

labman macrumors 604

labman

nope we just find what you said offensive, sexist, racists and rude. Many here have a good sense of humor the key being good sense of humor.