something went weirdly right with my 3GS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by chowmein, Nov 11, 2010.

1. chowmein macrumors member

Today, I decided to restore my ultrasn0w-unlocked iPhone 3GS from 4.1 to 4.2 GM. I accidentally clicked option-update instead of option-restore in iTunes but by the time I realized this, it was already too late and I couldn't stop the update process. I thought the phone would brick or something, but when the phone started up again, I found that the firmware was no longer jailbroken, but the unlock was preserved. Can someone explain this surprise to me?

2. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

If you need unlock then it's a good news. Other than that, it doesn't matter right? Why do you need to JB 4.2 when nothing works yet?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So let me get this straight you're saying that you updated your 3GS to the 4.2GM but your phone is still unlocked and you can use it on unofficial carrier?
    Impossible, unless your 3GS is factory unlocked without the JB you cannot have the ultrasnow unlock and even the baseband is not compatible with ultrasnow. So there's many things that dont add up at all.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The only way for this to happen is if your iPhone was factory unlocked by Apple.

5. chowmein thread starter macrumors member

That is exactly what I'm saying. It's not impossible if it actually happened.

I don't have SIMs from other US carriers readily available to test on, but I did have an AT&T and a foreign prepaid SIM. While a regular iPhone would pop the "Incorrect SIM" error for both of these, this did not happen on mine. I checked the "About" panel and it says that the baseband is updated, so now I'm thoroughly puzzled as to why the unlock still works.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If its a locked iphone the only sim it will recognize is the sim card of the carrier its locked to.
    Unlocks dont survive restores or updates to official firmware. You need the JB first to install the unlock after.
    Only the 2G baseband survives a restore or update while staying unlocked.
    Not the 3G, 3GS or i4.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

The AT&T one should work no matter if the phone is jb & unlocked or not! so that one doesn't count... THe other SIM card (the international one) what screen shows? signal? what is your BB?

8. chowmein thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

Aren't iPhone SIMs under a device lock and not just a carrier lock? The AT&T SIM I used wasn't the one originally used to activate the phone. When I use the foreign SIM, it allows me to roam on other networks. The baseband is 05.15.04.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you can use any AT&T sim even prepaid AT&T gophone sims on a US iphone.
    AT&T sim cards will let you roam to any GSM carrier in the world.
    If you do use any other carriers sim it will not recognize it and wont let you connect to their network.

10. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Some telecom company actually have iPhone SIMs card lock to iPhone. It will still work with other phone but the telecom company will have additional charge.

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

No, all AT&T sim cards work w/ all AT&T phones...
    What's the name of the foreign sim card? what network are your roaming in it in the US? I think is a phonebook type sim card....
    The 3G/3GS basebands 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01 and 05.13.04 are the ones that can be unlocked so how yours can unlock w/ utrasn0w makes no sense since that is still a locked BB...:rolleyes: