Something XP can do that OSX can do 10x better (formerly "XP can do that OSX can't?")

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mrgreen4242, Jun 13, 2007.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Aside from get viruses and spyware that is... Anyways, my Canon a510 when connected to an XP SP2 machine has an option to "take picture now" while connected via USB. This lets you control the camera 'remotely' which is a fairly useless feature, except when you need it... I've got use for just such a feature and can't figure out how to make it work on my mini.

I'd like to be able to do this with my Canon, but if that fails some suggestions of cameras that can do it would be good (only need 1-2mp's for this), and if it's something OSX can't do at all, some recommendations of 1mp webcams would be good (cheap is better with this as well, but VGA resolution is not enough - 1mp is the minimum I'm look for).

Thanks!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I believe you can do this through Canon's software for OS-X. A friend has their latest running with his 30D, and was showing me this. It's been a few years since I've used Canon's software for my 10D, but I seem to remember this option.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, you can. I had the Canon software installed at one point in the Panther days, and it lets you do things like get the preview on the computer's screen instead of the camera's. It can be a useful feature for scenarios like when you take a bunch of "stand in line" pictures of people, like they do at the DMV.

You may possibly also be able to do it with Image Capture when it's plugged in (like a scanner), although I'm not sure about that.

4. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hm, thanks... I'll check that out when I get home. I remember looking at the disc that came with the camera and being ... unimpressed with the software. Maybe they've improved it, or I just didn't notice that feature because I wasn't looking for it.

Hopefully I can figure out a way to make it grab an image relatively quickly with an AppleScript or Automater work flow or something... anyways, thanks for your help!

5. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Yes, you can do all of this in Image Ready, including setting up and controlling the camera over the web, to monitor a room for example. I'll try to find a link.

6. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Image Ready or Image Capture? Image Ready is part of Photoshop, right? A link would be most helpful! Thanks!

7. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

8. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

That's fan-freaking-tastic. I had no idea that existed. It's EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks a ton...

If anyone is curious, I'm building a dry erase board writing desk (that is, a small desk where the whole surface can be drawn/written on with dry erase pens) to mount next to my computer desk. There's a bunch of "features" I'm planning to incorporate (hinged top sheet for multiple pages and sandwiching paper between layers, diffused adjustable lighting to minimize glare/eyestrain, magnetic backing to 'hold' things, angled surface to keep clutter from building up on it, etc) but the one that this query relates to is building a mounting arm which will securely hold my digi-cam at its tripod mount so that I can do a "Save As" of anything currently on the board.

Maybe a little silly, but I can't keep my desk clear to do any writing ever, and anything I do write down ends up getting lost... Plus, I'm fascinated by animation, especially stop motion animation, so this makes a handy little "stage". :)

Anyways, thanks a bunch!

9. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Maybe the title of the thread should now read;

Something OSX can do that XP can't (with no additional software)!

Anyway, I hope it works for you. Your project sounds intriguing. ;)

10. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'll edit the title in a moment... should be "Something XP can do that OSX can do 10x better" :p XP does it without any extra software, but with nowhere near the amount of features OSX has!

I'll post pics as I keep working on this. I got the first sheet of plexiglass tonight, going to paint the back "alpine white" tomorrow. It's a test just get the frame built and set it up next to my desk etc. After that I'll mount the camera and add the second "layer" and magnetic subsurface, etc. I got the idea after I pulled a little dry erase board off the wall and work and stuck it to my desk to jot little notes down.

I'm trying to fill up some times while my Mac mini-maxi project is on hold (some of you may have seen some of my posts on that a month or so ago) while I wait for Apple to update the mini! Anyways, thanks for all the help in this thread folks!