Sometimes the watch just has to come off.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AmazingGraceTx, Aug 16, 2015.

1. AmazingGraceTx macrumors regular

AmazingGraceTx

Now don't get me wrong; I love my Apple Watch. I put it on first thing in the morning and use it throughout the day. I love getting notifications and having what I need right there. But there are times when enough is enough and I gladly take it off and just disconnect. The bad thing about this product is that it's just another way to always be connected. I didn't think about that so much when I first bought is, but I can see it becoming a problem if I let it. Anyone else feel this way?

2. JayLenochiniMac, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Nothing wrong with putting it in Do Not Disturb mode or simply taking it off when you just want to disconnect and unwind for the night.

3. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

At first I thought I would get bored with it and like you, want to disconnect. Then I just starting using do not disturb since I have worn watched most of my life and I love the activity rings and calendar and dark sky information among other things.

It's like the old joke that escalators never break they just become stairs. I use do not disturb and then it is mostly just a watch with great extra features.

I went from liking the watch as a novelty to using it more than my phone and not carrying the phone anymore in the house and it now has my work email, work calendar and all my to do's, notes and reminders. Love it.

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

What do you use for notes on the watch? I wish there were native notes

5. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I enjoy wearing my watch and I usually have it on from wake-up until bedtime. I do several things to sort of disconnect:
    1. During the work day I enjoy having an information-rich watch face with multiple complications on (Utility, Modular, Color). When I get home from work, and on the weekend, I usually switch to a face that is either peaceful to look at (Usually one of the Motion faces) or that is fun (Astronomy or Solar).
    2. I have Do Not Disturb mode set to turn on at 9pm every night, and sometimes I manually set it earlier than that.
    3. Sometimes I need to do more to relax. The Apple Watch and the iPhone are just tools. Putting away my tools doesn't mean my mind will be quieted. Sometimes to feel relaxed I need to clear my mental calendar and lists: I get out my iPhone, review my upcoming tasks, reminders and appointments. Then I postpone them all so I don't have anything weighing on my mind, or tapping me on the wrist. Then I can relax.

6. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

I say the same thing about my iPhone. Doubly so actually. I'd contend that the smart phone "revolution" has taken from us as much as it has given. The AW helps to make processing of all that data flow much easier IMO. But yes, like the iPhone, iPad, and so on, after a point they all go on the charger and the rest of the world can go jump in a lake for all I care.

7. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I've used a few but actually like Microsoft OneNote for the watch. With Siri, I use reminders where I have a list called Notes so I can tell Siri to add a "note" to the notes list. Typically when I think of something while driving or not by my phone is when this is most useful. Same with reminders and it works so well. Plus, the reminders go right into Fantastical which is my favorite app.

Agree with you on the missing native notes but that should be corrected with OS2

8. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I agree that Fantastical is excellent on the watch (and on the iPhone). I also use OneNote as my primary note app on all my devices. I use Evernote as well, but mostly because every other app in the world can save stuff directly to Evernote (more are at least adding a Save to OneNote option). I prefer the OneNote interface, and it is what we use at work for so many things. How do I decide which one to use? You could say Evernote manages my home-life because it ties in to Evernote Food and my Doxie wireless scanner can scan stuff directly to Evernote. I use OneNote mostly for work stuff. Both note-taking apps support voice dictation and the Watch app displays your recently viewed notes...which is useful. Evernote supports searching by voice dictation, but OneNote displays a longer list of recent notes. Just today I added a note about the specifications for something I needed to buy at the Auto-parts store. I used both Evernote and OneNote to see how they would compare. I added the notes from my desktop computer (because I was researching it on the desktop). Then I checked my watch. OneNote displayed the new note right away but Evernote took a few minutes to catch up. In practical terms both provided quick access to the same note when I was at the store.

Sean

9. Skorpio macrumors 6502

Skorpio

If I feel the need to disconnect I just drink a couple glasses of wine.

10. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I rotate it among my watches. When I go out to dinner with someone, I consider it rude to receive notifications, so just pop on a mechanical watch. I could use mute, though do not see the point , and the mechanical ones are much classier in my opinion.

Like the watches I own, I use them based on the occasion. The AW being a smart watch has advantages based on my activity

11. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

The only time when I take off my Apple watch off my wrist is if I feel a bit of discomfort on my wrist (generally I leave it off for 30 minutes).

12. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

Not sure what you expected since the Apple Watch is literally "just another way to always be connected". If you do not want notifications, put yourself on DND or power reserve. If you find yourself overwhelmed with notifications, managed the types that are allowed and filter out all the useless junk.

13. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Agree completely. Takes only a second to click DND and then it is basically just a watch with some extra features. I have two bands that are professional and look better with a suit than my other watches so if I go out, I just put on the link and press DND.

14. nathanalf macrumors regular

nathanalf

Just got finished moving, and beforehand I was weary about wearing it the entire time. Put away the leather loop for the few days, and switched back to the sport band that came with my SGS. Amazingly it didn't get hit / caught on anything, no scratches, and even survived a quick dip in the pool when we got overheated. Came in handy when I was moving boxes and would get a call, and was really interesting to see how much of a workout moving can be (actually quantified with the data to back up why my entire body is sore!! haha)

Swapped the leather loop back on once we were done and went along my merry way :p

15. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I've wondered about wearing it for heavy labor like that. Fortunately that isn't usually a problem for me ;)

I do bike to work though, and I often go for longer bike rides before work or on my lunch break. Fortunately where I live it rarely gets above 75 degrees in the Summer, but it can get up into the 90's and it is extremely hilly. On milder days I can manage to climb the hills without getting too sweaty, but other days I will be dripping with sweat. I have two third party leather bands: A brown leather band from Clockwork Synergy, and a black leather(ish?) loop knockoff. I switch to the sport band on hot days when I know I will be sweating a lot, but some days I forget and just wear one of the leather ones. I'm not worried about the Clockwork Synergy strap, but I don't know if I want to test my fake leather loop. I'm more likely to take the watch off for getting dirty with that one on. Other times I keep the watch on when I'm biking, doing dishes, and for light yard work. If I need to do some heavy yard work getting into the dirt and dust, I will take it off so I don't have to worry about particles getting stuck in crevices.

I have knocked my silver aluminum Sport against walls and desks on accident and it is no worse for the wear (knock-on-wood). I don't feel like I need to baby the watch, but I certainly don't need to wear it every waking minute either.

Of course the OP is talking about taking it off for a different reason: To disconnect or tune out from the hectic technology-driven work/lifestyle that our gadgets help us maintain. In the case of the Apple Watch, I feel like it is the accessory. The iPhone is what keeps you connected to your communications apps, your task and project lists, your email, reminders, etc. I get the desire to remove the tech from the body though. That will make a difference for some. Personally I feel like it takes more than removing an Apple Watch or enabling DND on my iPhone to leave all the stuff it helps me do and track behind. Many of us like these devices because they help us live and work within a technology driven environment with more convenience and less stress and anxiety. Disconnecting your devices will not necessarily disconnect your brain from what you need to do later. If I'm enjoying my weekend and I suddenly remember something I have to do at work, being able to say "Hey Siri: Remind me to submit my TPS report on Monday at 9:00 am" relaxes me because I no longer have to remember to do that. If I want to totally disconnect I need to postpone all my tasks and reminders for a period of time, which helps me feel like I can afford to go on DND and not worry about it. If I just hit DND without first doing a quick review (and I'm talking seconds to just make sure I don't miss something I'm supposed to do that evening), I get anxious that I'm going to miss an important reminder. Sad, but that's modern life. Too many things to remember to do at specific times or places.

Sean

16. bushido Suspended

bushido

i take mine off after about two hours and when i am at home. its deiving me nuts on my wrist. even after all these months i am not used to wearing a watch esp in that current heat

17. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I take my watch off as soon as I return home, my iPad stays with me instead.

18. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I gave up on Evernote as OneNote seems to be better on most fronts and it ties into my work environment. My work email and calendar are now on my watch/phone as well.

19. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

How do you like the bands from clockwork synergy for quality and lugs? I ordered two the other day and found a coupon code for 15% off.

20. PsychOK macrumors member

When I'm at home just sitting at my desk I will not bother putting it on as it's really not necessary with my phone sitting there on the desk right next to me as well as my computer screen on. When I'm out and about or working I miss having it on a lot more.

21. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I've told myself that I can take it off when I want to disconnect, too. But I want to keep completing those damned Activity rings.

I've only had mine for 14 days, though, so it's still an entertaining little gadget, not simply another device in my stash. We'll see what I think after my usage matures into a regular pattern.

Meanwhile, my mechanicals haven't budged in those fourteen days, and my two solar-atomic quartz watches are as patiently spot-on as they've always been.

22. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

You can read my review of the one I bought: Link

In a nutshell, I think it looks great and is comfortable. The adapter lugs appear to be good quality and fit flush with the watch (no gaps on my Clockwork Synergy band... the adapter for my leather-loop knockoff is slightly too narrow and has gaps on both ends). However the adapter is a shiny stainless steel that does not match the finish of my aluminum Sport watch. That doesn't bother me... I kind of like the contrast, but I know that would be deal-breaker for some silver aluminum Sport owners. The buckle is also kind of wide on their leather straps, as you will see in my review. At first I thought it was too big, but now it might be one of my favorite things about the design of the band. It gives it a modern look and the buckle is perfectly comfortable on my wrist. They gave me a 15% off coupon, so I may order another band from them. For now the Clockwork Synergy band is my default for daily wear, the Sport for when I know I will get sweaty, and I also have a black leather loop knockoff I like a lot (despite the fact that close inspection reveals why it was less than a 1/3 of the price of the Apple leather loop).

Sean

23. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

Yes... the activity rings do encourage wearing the watch from wake-up to bedtime. I also have a Fitbit One that I kept clipped inside a pocket all the time for the same reason. I'm not exercise obsessed, but the feedback does help. I go through periods when I'm not as active as I should be, and the feedback reminds me to stay on track.

Sean

24. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I usually take mine off when I get home from work, or when doing stuff where I might damage it (working on the car or anywhere with tight spaces I need to stick my hands in, etc). Otherwise it's on my wrist.

25. Strom41 macrumors newbie

Strom41

Occasionally this happens to me as well - kinda sudden and I just have to take my watch off. Not often but it happens. Other than that, I just can't wear it in bed- feels huge and cumbersome in bed. Very uncomfortable!