Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Porsche1209

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
Bands

I'd have to say "Rodrigo y Gabriela" (it's both the band and their current CD) has really expanded my musical boundaries. They actually just released a live recording session on iTunes, but they are two guitarists from Mexico, but what makes them amazing is that they, along with their guitars, play not only the melodies, but also do all of the percussion right on the instruments. It's amazing to see and hear- check them out on youtube.

I have also recently fallen in love with a hispanic (actually, Colombian) artist named "Juanes". He's also on iTunes, but he has become an international singing sensation, but he never caught on in the US. He sings only in spanish, but check out his songs "La Camisa Negra" and "A dios le pido". He also did a couple songs with Nelly Furtado- "Te Busque" (Nelly's Loose album) and "fotografia" (One of Juanes's albums- Mi Sangre, I think).

Enjoy!
:apple: Phil :apple:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Some that I wouldn't miss...

U2 - War
The Kinks - Schoolboys in Disgrace
Split Enz - History Never Repeats
Live - Throwing Copper
Supertramp - Breakfast in America
Pearl Jam - Ten
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Sarah McLachlan - Mirrorball
Yes - Fragile
Nirvana - Nevermind
Tears for Fears - The Hurting
Joe Jackson - Big World
The Smithereens - Blowup
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Smashing Pumpkins - Gish
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand the Weather
Missing Persons - Spring Session M
Pixies - Doolittle
Stone Temple Pilots - Core
Dire Straits - Alchemy
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail
Van Halen - Van Halen
Catherine Wheel - Chrome
R.E.M. - Out of Time
Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin, and Paco DeLucia - Friday Night in San Francisco
Kiss - Double Platinum
Green Day - Dookie
Yann Tiersen - Amelie (OST)
Lisa Ekdahl & The Peter Nordahl Trio - Back to Earth
Journey - Infinity
Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring
The Police - Zenyatta Mondata
AC/DC - Back in Black
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Tinderbox
Steely Dan - Aja
Terje Rypdal & The Chasers - Blue
Boston - Don't Look Back
Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet
Jeff Beck - There And Back
Rush - Moving Pictures
Any Beatles album

Most of em are old because that's when they still made whole albums that were good.

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
Interesting thread so far! I think this will run and run, or at least 'til the gas runs out..

However, I might have missed it, but 3 pages and no-one has mentioned Bach????

For fun and exuberance;- The Brandenburg Concertos, but for Music you will probably hear AFTER you die, then for me it's the B-Minor Mass.

I'm not in the slightest bit religious, but this music is about as close to a "Proof of God's existence" as exists in the world!

Just sublime...

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
Other honourable mentions...
Little Feat:- Dixie chicken
Zappa:- Hot rats
Gentle Giant:- Power and the Glory
Pete Gabriel:- So
Debussy:- L'Apres Midi d'une Faune
Donald Fagen:- Nightfly
Van Dyke Parks:- Song Cycle
Ella Fitzerald:- just about anything...But especially Ella sings Porter
Sinatra:- Songs for Swinging Lovers
Mahavishnu
Orchestra:- Birds of Fire
Weather Report:- Black Market
Beach Boys: Holland (if only for Sail on Sailor)
Dusty Springfield:- Dusty in Memphis
PInk Floyd:- Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Bowie:- Heroes
Buena Vista Social Club:- The Sountrack album
West Side Story:- movie soundtrack
Led Zepppelin:- Led Zepp 111
Can:- Tago Mago

...off the top of my head, so far...

PDiPietro

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2007
This is going to be fun.

Arcade Fire - Funeral. This album is wonderful. Enough said.

David Bowie - Low, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars. The first of these two albums, Low, is probably one of my top five favorite albums, and at least top ten. You need to listen to it to really understand. Ziggy Stardust is a pure rock classic in itself.

Ladytron - Light & Magic. Electropop rules. Ladytron is amazing.

Muse - Absolution, Origin of Symmetry. Muse rules.

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral, The Fragile. I personally like The Fragile more of the two by a little bit, these days, but they're both very good albums. Trent Reznor's awesome.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here. I slowly moved away from the rest of Floyd's stuff, in the past year or so (although I still listen to their other stuff every now and then, just nowhere near as much). Wish You Were Here is their best album, in my eyes.

Placebo - Without You I'm Nothing. Another great album. Similar to Muse in some ways, or at least are a modern equivalent when doing searches for similar artists.

Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream. Great progressive rock band. Even greater album.

Radiohead - The Bends, OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief. Yes. I love Radiohead. It's pretty obvious if I'm recommending their last five albums. The band themselves pretty much hate Pablo Honey (primarily "Creep", as is well known; it's a rare chance these days to see them play it). However, if I were to pick only one of these, it would be Kid A. It's an album that is very unlikely to be equaled in quite some time. My personal favorite album.

The Who - Who's Next. I'm not a huge fan of the Who overall, but every song on this album is great.

Thom Yorke- The Eraser. Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke's first "solo" album. Really wonderful stuff. Sticks to his love for electronic music. Very little guitar use, but spectacular nonetheless.

Tool - Lateralus. If you like hard, hard rock, this album by Tool's the way to go.

I might add more later.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Interesting thread so far! I think this will run and run, or at least 'til the gas runs out..

However, I might have missed it, but 3 pages and no-one has mentioned Bach????

For fun and exuberance;- The Brandenburg Concertos, but for Music you will probably hear AFTER you die, then for me it's the B-Minor Mass.

I'm not in the slightest bit religious, but this music is about as close to a "Proof of God's existence" as exists in the world!

Just sublime...

Hey, I said Bach :p

And for after you die, Mozart's Requiem is unrivaled

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I agree with so many here and and have two more to add:

Dylan Rice- Wandering Eyes

This record will make you cry. It's some seriously amazing pop-rock. I haven't heard anything this good in a long time.

Jason Falkner presents Author Unknown

More cool power pop that'll just make you smile. :)

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
There's not enough country music appearing in this thread.

My favorite album (and an excellent one to take on the road) is:

Everywhere, by Tim McGraw

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
There's not enough country music appearing in this thread.

My favorite album (and an excellent one to take on the road) is:

Everywhere, by Tim McGraw

I'm subject to the "No True Scotsman" fallacy with regards to Country Music. If it's good (according to my tastes), then it must not be country. I'm so guilty of this that I was surprised when Ray Charles was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame. (I was quite a bit younger in 1970, and more sure of myself). It did open my mind to recognize that *lots* of good music was in that genre that I overlooked.

That said, a forum like this is useful for someone to become more complete in his tastes.

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
I'm subject to the "No True Scotsman" fallacy with regards to Country Music. If it's good (according to my tastes), then it must not be country. I'm so guilty of this that I was surprised when Ray Charles was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame. (I was quite a bit younger in 1970, and more sure of myself). It did open my mind to recognize that *lots* of good music was in that genre that I overlooked.

That said, a forum like this is useful for someone to become more complete in his tastes.

I know what you mean.... and it is easy to ignore a genre of music.

I listen to absolutely everything, all kinds of music.... but country just seemed to be ignored on this thread.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Some of my favorites...at the moment anyway...and to give perspective, I am 32 years old:

Dylan - Bringing it all Back Home & Highway 61 Revisited
The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers
Radiohead - The Bends & OK Computer
The Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison
Medeski Martin & Wood - Combustication
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
The Clash - London Calling
U2 - Joshua Tree
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon & Wish You Were Here
Ben Harper - Fight for your Mind
Morcheeba - Big Calm

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Little Feat:- Dixie chicken
Zappa:- Hot rats
Gentle Giant:- Power and the Glory
Pete Gabriel:- So
Debussy:- L'Apres Midi d'une Faune
Donald Fagen:- Nightfly
Van Dyke Parks:- Song Cycle
Sinatra:- Songs for Swinging Lovers
Mahavishnu
Orchestra:- Birds of Fire
Weather Report:- Black Market
Beach Boys: Holland (if only for Sail on Sailor)
Dusty Springfield:- Dusty in Memphis
PInk Floyd:- Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Bowie:- Heroes
Buena Vista Social Club:- The Sountrack album
West Side Story:- movie soundtrack
Led Zepppelin:- Led Zepp 111
Can:- Tago Mago

Yeah - Mahavishnu Orchestra! John McLaughlin is amazing!!!

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about

Neko Case.

Hellz yeah.

rockworthy

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2007
Black Sabbath: Paranoid

Ella Fitzgerald: Anything from her. Shes the greatest woman singer of all time.

America: History: Americas greatest hits

Beatles: White Album

Metalica: And Justice For All.

Lynard Skynard: Simple Man (this song is my anthem. It's all I want in this life)

rockworthy

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2007

Have you ever listened to Ella sing "Mack the Knife" from Berlin 1960?
If you havent check it out. There isnt a singer today, or from the past that can come close to her talent.
She was a great person in real life unlike the scum bags today dropping music.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
English Settlement - XTC

XTC were always one of pop's finest moments. If this album included Dear God then it would probably be the best album ever made.

Some Girls Wander By Mistake - The Sisters of Mercy

I always hesitate to include compilations in 'Best Album' lists because, by definition, they weren't composed as albums, but there are so many good songs on here that encapsulate an important band at their finest, that I have to include this over any of the Sisters' studio albums.

Thunder and Consolation - New Model Army

If you don't love this album unconditionally by the time you've listened to it twice, then you either have no soul, or you've been in a coma for a couple of decades. NMA always showed the gift of being able to marry righteous fury to a damn fine tune, and with this album they delivered the record that their fans always knew they were capable of. Don't bother with the "remastered" 2-CD set, just get the untainted original and be in awe.

Talk Talk Talk - The Psychedelic Furs

Post-punk's finest. This album is plucked fairly arbitrarily from a fine catalogue by virtue of having been a constant companion at a bad time in my life, and for having the original version of "Pretty in Pink" on it. Just listen to this track and you'll realize how badly the movie missed the intent of the song ...

The Nephilim - The Fields of the Nephilim

Unfairly confined to the ghetto of "Gothic" categorization, The Nephilim is one of the most underrated albums in the entire rock genre.

Put this album on without the prejudice of a genre stereotype, and I guarantee that from the pounding, hypnotic opening drums, to the epic, mesmerizing album closer of 'Last Exit', you won't regret hearing this.

With one important exception! Rip the album to iTunes (or media management software of choice) and then discard the track 'Shiva' ...

The track itself is neither particularly good or bad, but, back in the day, the record companies used to stick "bonus" tracks onto CDs to convince people that it was worth paying about double the price of a vinyl album, and putting two slow-tempo tracks one after the other in a place that all but breaks the back of this album borders on vandalism!

St Julian - Julian Cope

Nothing short of sublime. Always a toss-up for me with the subsequent Jehovakill, but this album never, ever fails to put a smile on my face, if only for World Shut Your Mouth.

Liquidizer - Jesus Jones

Quite possibly ten of the best pop songs you will ever hear. There is no filler, not an ounce of fat on this album. Much as with English Settlement above, if this album only included their later track International Bright Young Thing it would be entirely perfect.

Please ... listen to at least one of the above. I guarantee you won't be sorry.

Cheers

Jim

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
English Settlement - XTC
I always hesitate to include compilations in 'Best Album' lists because, by definition, they weren't composed as albums,
Jim

But this thread has a great function in introducing people to music of a genre that they want to have good representative music. With this in mind, compilations can be the best way to start.

But please, everybody - tell us what genres your samples represent. In a "great" album, we will already know - if we have been fans of that genre already. But I want to say "I've been meaning to listen to some of that kind of music - but I am too ignorant to know what is worth while", but use your expertise to discover the best of what I have been missing.

pengu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2005
Diddily Daddily...
ok i'll try to keep this short.

Hey Jude - The Beatles
Ohio - Bowling for Soup
Yo Mama - Butterfingers
The Car Song - The Cat Empire
Drive - Incubus
Warning - Incubus
I Have Seen The Rain - Pink
Lucky - Bif Naked
Wheels - Cake
Dear Mr President - Pink
Messages - Xavier Rudd

i have to stop. or i'll be here all day.

i'd strongly suggest to those that like Indie/Rock to look for a monthly torrent called Indie Rock Playlist.. about 120 songs each month. but if you like what you hear, please support the band and buy their album :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.