Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donblanco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2019
Zacatecas, MX
Pretty sure I *used to* have a BT dongle, not sure if it is still with me...

RE: the printer, I am temporarily giving in to the whole AirPrint thing. It seems the simplest solution. Of course it isn't really *that* simple given that the printer doesn't have WiFi installed. But I do have a couple of Raspberry Pi's lying around doing nothing in particular right now, soooo...

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
I use iCloud minimally. Most data and photos are on Google Cloud.
iCloud is used for a lot of stuff. The problem I encountered was related to my keychain. The mac running Big Sur had not been used for quite some time. When I turned it on and started the upgrade it must not have synced properly. After the upgrade, I noticed the keychain across all my devices has been synced to the state of the keychain on the mac running Big Sur. That was a big deal. Frankly, the consequence for that kind of customer problem should cause someone at Apple to lose their job.

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
Craig Federighi (Head of Software) needs to grip this. Or someone needs to show him the door.
He needs to take a ride on the elevator.

I mentioned Asahi Linux earlier. It's already impressive in Beta and when it officially rolls-out, I think I may well call time on macOS. Still, all good things come to an end.
I am closely watching this project. The day may come where I choose to run macOS in a VM on Asahi Linux. Even better would be if someone makes it possible to run macOS apps on Asahi Linux. With the emergence of Asahi, Apple will need to pay closer attention To macOS.

I am also hoping the DOJ's antitrust lawsuit against Apple is expanded to include macOS. It may then be possible to force Apple to open source macOS in its entirety. Right to repair should also influence our ability to make this happen. A lot of our problems go away when Apple is not the only one we have to rely on to fix them. Similarly, Microsoft should also be forced to open source Windows. In fact, any significant piece of software sold to the public should be captured by right to repair.

Reactions: lfaa

tizzi91

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2023
Rolled MB Air back to Ventura, rolled desktop to Big Sur. signed in to iCloud no problem. Downloaded some folders, no problems. FYI, I use iCloud minimally. Most data and photos are on Google Cloud.

Bluetooth controller worked on Big Sur! Game did not *sob* - on MB Air game + controller worked fine under Ventura. Now prepping to upgrade desktop to Ventura.

Even though it was mounted, every time I attempted to write to it there was a disconnect and reconnect before the writing could finish. Didn't seem to matter the size of the file being written. It was *in effect* inoperable, even though it was mounted and readable.
Big sur? I'll pick Monterey or ventura on m1 Mac mini.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
not everyone is having the problems you're experiencing. so it's worth posting here, asking for help, getting perspective. also might be worth calling apple. and which mac is this?

getting help might be more rewarding than ranting; the OS is not an issue for everyone. and apple isn't making your 'consider moving back to Windoze'... your experience is.
Good answer!

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Dunno if that's a Safari issue, a Sonoma issue, or some new trickery that recipe websites are playing with-- mining bitcoin or something?
I find that a lot of recipe sites are targeted for those phiny support site pop ups through ad networks. Maybe related?
  • Latest issue was game controllers w/ Steam. Finally found a model that works, but only when plugged in, not with bluetooth.
What are the Bluetooth issues you have with controllers?

I notice a lot of lag in OpenEmu but don’t have any other games installed. Is it lag? Connectivity?

donblanco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2019
Zacatecas, MX
I find that a lot of recipe sites are targeted for those phiny support site pop ups through ad networks. Maybe related?

What are the Bluetooth issues you have with controllers?

I notice a lot of lag in OpenEmu but don’t have any other games installed. Is it lag? Connectivity?
While remaining connected, the controller ceases to function in the game...

• Wow
Reactions: mjs916

klspahr

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2013
Central PA
I think we should get a really, really, long chain and when everyone at Apple goes to work we should run out there and wrap the chain all the way around Apple HQ and lock it so they can’t open the doors. Then we’ll tell them when you fix ALL these software issues we’ll let you out.🤪 Sooner or later Craig is going to need a hair cut - then we’ll get some things fixed!!

Oh, if only it was that simple…

• Haha
Reactions: mjs916

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I think we should get a really, really, long chain and when everyone at Apple goes to work we should run out there and wrap the chain all the way around Apple HQ and lock it so they can’t open the doors. Then we’ll tell them when you fix ALL these software issues we’ll let you out.🤪 Sooner or later Craig is going to need a hair cut - then we’ll get some things fixed!!

Oh, if only it was that simple…
in which case no one would ever get to leave the building... ever... 🤔

donblanco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2019
Zacatecas, MX
UPDATE:

Here are my original issues w/ Sonoma with status updates based on usage under Ventura:

• Keychron K3 - had to find/use a 3rd party app to be able to use the function key row for brightness, volume etc. with external HDMI monitor [NOT FIXED - STILL REQUIRE BETTERDISPLAY APP]
  • External drives - multiple issues
    • USB read/write speeds being throttled - no fix [n/a - mainly fixed by switching to SSD]
    • ExFAT drives disconnecting any time you try to copy to them - no fix [not tested under Ventura]
    • SanDisk USB flash drives completely inop - no fixes yet [not tested under Ventura]
    • mostly resolved by switching out to an external SSD drive - but gave up 1TB of space [still true]
  • HP Printers - had an old Samsung laser printer that gave up the ghost (some circuit board according to error code) and I replaced it w/ an HP Smart Tank inkjet (USB, no WiFi). Although I finally got it working by using the drivers from a completely different model (Deskjet) I had to sacrifice the scan functionality. HP Smart App does not see this printer connected by USB, will only work for WiFi models. [FIXED BY RUNNING PRINT SERVER ON RASPBERRY PI AND USING AIRPRINT TO PRINT]
  • Other - this is the stuff I spent hours on to either find workarounds or fixes. I either make an adjustment or find a fix of some sort and then forget about it. But it has been a *constant* all this time. [n/a since I don't remember these other issues right now]
  • Just to add, most of this has happened after it came out of beta.
  • Latest issue was game controllers w/ Steam. Finally found a model that works, but only when plugged in, not with bluetooth. [NOT FIXED - CABLE ONLY]
I will add that I am running Ventura on my MacBook Air as well and had the same issue w/ the Steam controller.

So now I am having issues with my SSD drive (connected via USB-C/Thunderbolt cable) randomly disconnecting and reconnecting. It may be when the Mac Mini goes to sleep, or may be doing this at other times as well, hard to say. When this happens lots of things stop working since Google Drive Desktop is backing up from that drive and it also houses my Obsidian vault which has begun throwing git errors.

After all this, I am left wondering why I don't just upgrade back to Sonoma again? Maybe it would at least resolve the drive disconnect issues...

Reactions: mjs916 and Wheel_D

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I do have an issue with an SanDisk SSD. Every night CarbonCopy creates a clone. Sometimes it fails. When I open the target drive in the morning, it has no content. I reboot and content reappears. This is new with Sonoma. However, I have always assumed this is a problem with the SanDisk drive. This generation of drive is known to have issues.

AlumaMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2018
I do have an issue with an SanDisk SSD. Every night CarbonCopy creates a clone. Sometimes it fails. When I open the target drive in the morning, it has no content. I reboot and content reappears. This is new with Sonoma. However, I have always assumed this is a problem with the SanDisk drive. This generation of drive is known to have issues.
I have the same issue in Sonoma with a TM backup drive. It’s an Apple SSD in an OWC case. Reboot doesnt always work for data recovery.

Tuan2002

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2024
I am having the same problem as this thread on the latest MacOS Sonoma 14.4.1 on Macbook Air M2 13 inch

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-focus-after-closing-any-application.2384794/

Relaunching Finder fixes the problem, but the issue comes back on the next reboot, even after removing all login items. The issue does not occur in safe mode.

I notice that the problem only happens if I leave Finder as the last active app before restarting (leave MacOS to show Desktop). For example, if I leave Chrome open and restart, the issue will not happen. The option to reopen windows when logging back in is checked.

The issue also happens with a new Admin user.

You can test this out by doing these steps:

• Leave finder the last active app (show the Desktop)
  • Restart with the option to reopen windows checked
  • After restarting, open Chrome or any other apps
  • Open System settings
  • Close System settings -> focus switched to finder instead of Chrome (or any other last apps) -> the problem

Has anyone had the same issue and found the solution? Thanks for your comments.

Last edited:

CrushRoller

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2020
I'm just extremely frustrated right now. I can't believe Apple is actually making me consider moving back to Windoze! I can think of many reasons why I should not do that, but the balance is shifting. I can feel it...
Move to Linux... I installed Linux Mint to my older Macs and since then i have zero problems...

Reactions: donblanco

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
So now I am having issues with my SSD drive (connected via USB-C/Thunderbolt cable) randomly disconnecting and reconnecting. It may be when the Mac Mini goes to sleep, or may be doing this at other times as well, hard to say. When this happens lots of things stop working since Google Drive Desktop is backing up from that drive and it also houses my Obsidian vault which has begun throwing git errors.

After all this, I am left wondering why I don't just upgrade back to Sonoma again? Maybe it would at least resolve the drive disconnect issues...
Based on what I've read there was a bug that was introduced sometime in Ventura and onward that causes the drive disconnect issues. With Sonoma Apple moved the exFAT driver from kernel space to user space and I suspect that might have something to do with your exFAT drives not working correctly (Apple's exFAT implementation has always been sketchy, just like it's post-Samba SMB implementation). The drive might behave properly under Ventura and earlier because it uses the old implementation of the file system driver.

This is on top of the fact that the USB controller Apple built into the M-series chips isn't that great (instead of using a tried and true separate controller chip). For example certain drives rated at 10 Gbps will only connect at 5 Gbps on an M1 machine. But if you plug them into an Intel Mac or connect a Thunderbolt dock (which has its own USB controller inside of it) to the M1 Mac and plug the drive into the dock it connects at the full 10 Gbps.

jdoyle

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
I just recently got a new MB Air with Sonoma. Monterey on an old iMac was my OS before that. I don't see the frustrations mentioned here. But I cannot stand the new "System Settings" iOS style. For a start nothing is place anywhere intuitively. I have to do a search every time to find something. Also what used to take two clicks now takes three or four. Common settings are buried. Can't stand it. Overall it's just dull and a bit boring. I see nothing in it that is a killer feature since Monterey. The OS needs a facelift. I know we might be getting a Vision Pro style. Not sure about that though.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Based on what I've read there was a bug that was introduced sometime in Ventura and onward that causes the drive disconnect issues.

Drive disconnects of external drives have been a problem with MacOS for years. Don't remember any release where it hasn't been a problem for at least some users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.