Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular audio company Sonos recently updated its U.S. privacy policy to make a small but notable change that seemingly puts customer data at risk. As noted by Louis Rossmann (via The Verge), the new Sonos privacy policy removes a line about not selling customer data.

sonos-roam-feature.jpg

In the 2023 version of its privacy policy, Sonos had this sentence: "We do not and will not sell your personal data to third parties." The statement has been removed from the 2024 version of the privacy policy in the United States, though it is still present in privacy policies in other countries.

The change to the privacy policy has sparked commentary on Reddit from Sonos customers who have become increasingly unhappy with the company in recent months. Back in May, Sonos rolled out a new app design that has been widely criticized for missing a long list of features like editing a song queue, managing playlists, shuffling a music library, and more.

Sonos users already unhappy with the app changes feel that the privacy policy update is another nail in the coffin for Sonos. From Reddit user RemarkableAgent1350:
What is happening at Sonos? This hurts to read, especially after all the app drama - and from a company that I loved. This just might be the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. I think I'm done with Sonos.
The removal of that line from the privacy policy doesn't mean Sonos is definitely selling customer data, and the company has not responded queries about what the change means as of yet.

Article Link: Sonos' Privacy Policy Change Suggests It Might Sell Your Data

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
New crooks in town.

Here's what I would like Apple Intelligence to be able to do:

Scan Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for any changes and summarize them.

For example:

"Good morning, Tim. You first downloaded this app in 2023. Between then and now, there have been several changes to their Terms of Service. Here is a summary:

• The company no longer promises not to sell user data.
  • The company will scan users' private content to train AI without user consent.
Have a nice day. Oh, and enjoy your coffee."

Last edited:

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
If I refuse to say to Bob ‘nah man, I won’t steal your stuff’, guess what? bob better have good insurance.

Sonos - put the line about specifically NOT selling customers data to 3rd parties back or I’m going to assume that you will be selling customer data. Even though I’m 🇨🇦 I’ve got no problem turfing my Sonos setup and going to something else. New Homepods? don’t know and don’t care; anything other than Sonos.

Tom

Maybe I’ll give my setup/ownership/registration to charity. Steal their data.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Selling customer’s data is the defacto business model of new tech. If customer data doesn’t get sold - that’s a shocking revelation.
Remember folks. AT&T sold all customer’s data including location data to 3rd parties who sold it to bounty hunters, private investigators and anyone who would pay for it.

Jamooche

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
Very sad. With the app making our speakers completely unusable, I’m thinking on selling our Sonos speakers minus the sound bar, that works well with a wired connection, and just buying some HomePods. The app barely worked before the update but I could get by mainly using Spotify as the controller but now it’s completely unusable. Sometimes I have to run over and pull the power plug when it decides to just put the volume at maximum. It’s almost as if they’re trying to sabotage their own company.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Selling customer’s data is the defacto business model of new tech. If customer data doesn’t get sold - that’s a shocking revelation.
Remember folks. AT&T sold all customer’s data including location data to 3rd parties who sold it to bounty hunters, private investigators and anyone who would pay for it.
so we should just not worry or care about it? What a bizarre comment

Macaholic868

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2017
It’s garbage like this, or even the prospect of it, that makes me one happy camper to live in the Apple ecosystem with the emphasis they put on not just privacy but securing your private data.

Yeah, it’s more expensive then Wintel and Android but it’s great to know Apple is making its money on the hardware and the platform that comes with it and the services they provide that I pay for. To know my personal information is not now and will likely never be the product without a massive fall from grace / change in their very successful business model that we’ll all be aware of should it happen is a huge relief. Especially the lengths they go to in order to secure what they do have.

If I get one more letter from a company I’ve done business with knowingly in some cases or unknowingly in others, where a company I did business with subcontracted work to some other vendor, offering a free year of identity protection or an “oh well, here are some resources you can use” after a breach I’m going to scream.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
There have always been gaps between user agreements (including privacy policies), what vendor publicity people say when they're cornered, and what actually happens in operational lifecycles. Of course what the publicists say is meaningless - there's no legal contract in "Puffing" (promotional communications expected to make a product seem nicer than it might really be). Companies with critical mass and profitability pressures essentially play the odds that users don't read the agreement content.

However, the character of adverse agreement changes over the last couple years (e.g., Sonos, Adobe, Microsoft, Peloton 👀 ) makes me wonder about stricter federal legal codes added in some quiet corner of some bigger bill. Vendors might be reacting to, or sending up their own, legal "trial balloons" that close the gap between agreements and actual practices, under threat of greater liability exposure.

Why now? Why risk such bad PR unless there's some bigger profit to be made?

Because effectively personalized AI requires way, way deeper cross referencing of way, way more personal data. And there's no way they an anticipate the schema or data quality in advance. They'll have to take it ALL.

What if Apple, who ain't stupid, left Siri stupid, because they kept guardrails in place? As an ops guy (not a techno-sociological visionary, not a designer, not an engineer), mightn't Mr. Cook leave Apple behind behind the 8-Ball when it comes to emergent innovations for which Mr. Jobs hadn't prepared him?

• Wow
Reactions: wanha and gusmula

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
It’s garbage like this, or even the prospect of it, that makes me one happy camper to live in the Apple ecosystem with the emphasis they put on not just privacy but securing your private data.

Yeah, it’s more expensive then Wintel and Android but it’s great to know Apple is making its money on the hardware and the platform that comes with it and the services they provide that I pay for. To know my personal information is not now and will likely never be the product without a massive fall from grace / change in their very successful business model that we’ll all be aware of should it happen is a huge relief. Especially the lengths they go to in order to secure what they do have.

If I get one more letter from a company I’ve done business with knowingly in some cases or unknowingly in others, where a company I did business with subcontracted work to some other vendor, offering a free year of identity protection or an “oh well, here are some resources you can use” after a breach I’m going to scream.

They don't sell our data YET all it takes is a change in terms and services just like Sonos did.

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
Once again, the siren call of sweet, sweet money from data harvesting proves just too strong to resist. Cross Sonos off my list. I’m not surrendering to this treachery. It’s clear that I will stop doing business with a lot of companies. Already, I am skipping web sites that won’t allow me to view them with ad blockers that stop tracking ads. Let’s see how how long I can live without so much.

Last edited:

CookItOff

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2023
Trust me bro, we are not going to do what it says we a legally allowed to do in the ToS. cough Adobe.
These companies trying to convince users that their PR Reddit post supersedes the ToS they FORCE you to sign is almost more insulting than the blatant theft of users IP/Data.

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
New crooks in town.

Here's what I would like Apple Intelligence to be able to do:

Scan Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for any changes and summarize them.

For example:

"Good morning, Tim. You first downloaded this app in 2023. Between then and now, there have been several changes to their Terms of Service. Here is a summary:

• The company no longer promises not to sell user data.
  • The company will scan users' private content to train AI without user consent.
Have a nice day. Oh, and enjoy your coffee."
Great idea! But will it scan its own Terms and Conditions ??????

• Love
Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.