Sonos Rivals HomePod With New Assistant Speaker, Adding AirPlay 2 Support to Speakers Next Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

LOL, yes the 80's are over, but physics doesn't change over time. A Sonos/HomePod speaker will never out perform a proper receiver/home speaker set up. Having said that most people don't really care if their music sounds a little on the mashed potato side. They care more about convenience and/or aesthetics. For those who want to accurately hear a recording the way it was recorded there are receiver/home speaker combinations. Different strokes for different folks. Not everyone is looking (or in this case, listening) for the same end result.

2. Applebot1 macrumors 6502

If this speaker sounds good at the price point then I will be very interested. Great to see is supports multiple eco systems.

3. boshii, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I think it would be able to do it. Airplay 2 would allow the Playbar to communicate with Homepod the same way the Playbar can communicate with other Sonos speakers today. My question would be why would you want to buy a Homepod if you already have a Play:1?

EDIT: Looks like Airplay 2 won't be coming to the Playbar.

4. thomasclark87 macrumors member

thomasclark87

The update for Airplay 2 will only work with recent sonos speakers: the PLAY:5 and Playbase.

Which really sucks because my house is kitted out with 3 play 1s (dotted about), an older gen Play 5 and a sound bar (with 2 more play 1s)... so I have 6 sonos speakers but they won’t get the update. Super annoyed!

Source: sonos support on twitter

5. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Where did you see this?

EDIT: Just saw your edit. Can you link the tweet?

Here it is: https://twitter.com/sonossupport/status/915639201974145024

Very disappointing.

6. thomasclark87 macrumors member

thomasclark87

--- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2017 ---

Yea, I’m really bummed out by it! I was excited when I read the breaking news but this is disappointing

Attached Files:

7. npmacuser5 macrumors 6502a

npmacuser5

True however, most of the current music listeners do not care. The sales of amps and receivers compared to other systems like Sonos almost nil. Convience and ease of use trumps quality for the vast majority.

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I have a Play:5 gen 2 so I'm hoping this allows me access to use of Airplay 2 on all of my Sonos speakers like Line-in.

9. thomasclark87 macrumors member

thomasclark87

It will work if you group the speakers, but I would assume you would need to group them in the app. So asking Siri to play music in the living room would then require the sonos app to play in the kitchen or bedroom.

Ugh. I’m hoping there’s something they can do to fix this. There will be a lot of annoyed sonos customers!

10. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Not having any personal experience with any of the Sonos line-up or their well established sound quality, this seems like a well though-out product which to my mind anyway, is also very aesthetically pleasing.

If the sound quality lives up to the Sonos name, with all the listed compatibilities and at a little over half the price of Apple's upcoming HomePod, this could be a winner.

11. robinp macrumors 6502

My daughter isn’t.

12. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You don't need to group the speakers for line in. All you need is one player with an input and you can stream to any player.

13. ke-iron macrumors 6502a

The war is far from over. Amazon potential market is small compared to Apple. By the end of next year Apple would have sold more homepods than Amazon has simply because the HomePod will be sold worldwide from day 1.

14. ozaz macrumors 65816

Well that's the next few hundred spent from my tech piggy bank!

15. thomasclark87 macrumors member

thomasclark87

Wait, so if I have an airport express plugged into a play 5, can I airplay now already? And airplay to a play 1 elsewhere in the house??

16. pwhitehead macrumors 6502

pwhitehead

Did anyone else see Napster in the list? LOL. Is that even a thing anymore?

17. KRG macrumors regular

KRG

You think the $199 Play 1 sounds better and more powerful than the $299 Play 3 in an average size space? Interesting. If that were the case, logic would dictate that they stop selling the play 3 since they're already able to surpass the sound quality in a far smaller, more affordable package.

I've read several reviews and have heard both and I don't think that's a commonly accepted opinion. I believe two Play 1s in stereo mode would sound better than a single Play 3, but that's not what you're saying.

18. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Yep.

Works well if you're just streaming audio. For video, the audio gets out of sync.

19. GBHK macrumors newbie

This what I thought as well and I agree with you and your point. HomePod will last 2 years and then it will replaced by another upgraded one. With sonos you don’t have this problem and you can use a play 1 for 6 years minimum.

20. npmacuser5 macrumors 6502a

npmacuser5

Once part of the Alexa/Sonos environment, Apple Music should work with Alexa commands, as Sonos supports Apple Music. Something like "Alexa play Sonos Apple Music everywhere".

21. ozaz macrumors 65816

Yeah, you've been able to do this for years :)

22. thomasclark87 macrumors member

thomasclark87

Cool, thank you. That’s great, because theoretically I can use Siri (on the device streaming through airplay) to control stuff and play music thanks!

23. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Agreed, I can't argue against the fact that systems like this compromise sound quality.

24. kwick_818 macrumors newbie

Still waiting on word from Bose about airplay 2

25. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

Products like THIS are good for all of us.

I was considering the Homepod but now with this Sonos no way. This is a buy.