Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sonos today announced that its One, Beam, Playbase, and second-generation Play:5 speakers now support AirPlay 2, as promised.

sonos-airplay-2-800x600.jpg

This marks the first time Sonos speakers have supported AirPlay in general, enabling users to easily stream audio from iTunes on Mac, and virtually any app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, including Apple Music, YouTube, Spotify, Hulu, Pandora, and Netflix, to compatible Sonos speakers over Wi-Fi.

AirPlay allows for Siri control of Apple Music or Podcasts playback on compatible Sonos speakers via iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, HomePod, and Apple TV. For example, one could say "Hey Siri, play Beats 1 Radio in the bedroom," after the speaker is named and assigned to a room in Apple's Home app on iOS.

AirPlay 2 in particular enables multi-room audio playback for Sonos speakers paired with other Sonos speakers, HomePod, or Apple TVs. Sonos speakers appear in the AirPlay Picker within apps and Control Center on iOS devices.

Sonos said its older speakers do not support AirPlay 2 on their own due to processor limitations, but in the Sonos app, they can be paired with any of the aforementioned speakers to enable support for Apple's new protocol. An older Playbar paired with a Playbase, for example, works with AirPlay 2.

Sonos initially held out on adding AirPlay compatibility to its speakers in part due to minor latency issues addressed by AirPlay 2.

Apple first enabled AirPlay 2 in iOS 11.4, released in late May. Sonos is the first third-party speaker maker to support the protocol, to be followed by Beoplay, Bang & Olufsen, Denon, Libratone, Marantz, Naim, and others.

AirPlay 2 support is available through a free software update via the Sonos Controller companion app on the App Store.

Article Link: Sonos Adds AirPlay 2 Support to Latest Speakers, Enabling Siri Control and Multi-Room Audio

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Love my Sonos.

Congrats! And to all those who have Sonos speakers that has been listed for AirPlay 2 support. Meanwhile, I have to wait until "September" for Libratone to release support for their Zipp speakers. I guess, I invested in the wrong speakers...

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
How can a HomePod compete (only Airplay and closed to Apple Music), with this Sonos thas has compatibility for everything?

With this Sonos option in the market, makes no sense to buy the Apple...
I have no interest in Alexa in my house, anywhere. I do have a Sonos system with a PlayBar and 2xPlay:1, but they won't support Airplay 2. I do think my Homepod sounds much better than my Play:1, and I use the Siri integration all the time. Having both, I don't have any plans to purchase newer Sonos speakers just to support Airplay2, would rather spend the money on another Homepod for stereo. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Sweet, can't wait to get home and update! Just have to figure out how to set my alarm to wake me up with podcasts now

Reactions: HMFIC03

sctw

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2016
Just downloaded and streaming spotify thru play 5, base and one. Thank you Sonos.

Reactions: YaBoiD

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
How can a HomePod compete (only Airplay and closed to Apple Music), with this Sonos thas has compatibility for everything?

Many want Siri rather than Alexa.

Many want better sound quality, which the HomePod offers.

Many will like the looks of the HomePod over Sonos.

Many will want the improved integration that the HomePod offers over Sonos.

There are many other reasons some may choose one over the other. Just because you prefer Sonos doesn't mean the same will be true for everyone else.

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
and you can buy 2 of em for price of 1 homepod. rip

That was a limited time offer. MSRP is back to $400 for two of them, though you can still find them deeply discounted on Amazon, eBay, etc.

I would definitely pick this over the HomePod if I do end up getting any smart speaker though.

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016

Simple a lot of people like myself only use Apple products and subscribe to Apple Music. You also can’t control Siri directly from a Sonos speaker

MrGIS

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
Ontario Canada

Sonos today announced that its One, Beam, Playbase, and second-generation Play:5 speakers now support AirPlay 2, as promised.

sonos-airplay-2-800x600.jpg

This marks the first time Sonos speakers have supported AirPlay in general, enabling users to easily stream audio from iTunes on Mac, and virtually any app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, including Apple Music, YouTube, Spotify, Hulu, Pandora, and Netflix, to compatible Sonos speakers over Wi-Fi.

AirPlay allows for Siri control of Apple Music or Podcasts playback on compatible Sonos speakers via iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, HomePod, and Apple TV. For example, one could say "Hey Siri, play Beats 1 Radio in the bedroom," after the speaker is named and assigned to a room in Apple's Home app on iOS.

AirPlay 2 in particular enables multi-room audio playback for Sonos speakers paired with other Sonos speakers, HomePod, or Apple TVs. Sonos speakers appear in the AirPlay Picker within apps and Control Center on iOS devices.

Sonos said its older speakers do not support AirPlay 2 on their own due to processor limitations, but in the Sonos app, they can be paired with any of the aforementioned speakers to enable support for Apple's new protocol. An older Playbar paired with a Playbase, for example, works with AirPlay 2.

Sonos initially held out on adding AirPlay compatibility to its speakers in part due to minor latency issues addressed by AirPlay 2.

Apple first enabled AirPlay 2 in iOS 11.4, released in late May. Sonos is the first third-party speaker maker to support the protocol, to be followed by Beoplay, Bang & Olufsen, Denon, Libratone, Marantz, Naim, and others.

AirPlay 2 support is available through a free software update via the Sonos Controller companion app on the App Store.

Article Link: Sonos Adds AirPlay 2 Support to Latest Speakers, Enabling Siri Control and Multi-Room Audio
[doublepost=1531322821][/doublepost]Updates installed without issue. Pure Awesomeness..

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
My Play:1 speakers don't appear in iTunes, but I am currently using the Sonos app to stream Apple Music to the speakers using my phone as remote. I don't know whether that was possible before, but I'm liking it.

oskarbar

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2018
Many want Siri rather than Alexa.

You can have both with Sonos

Many want better sound quality, which the HomePod offers.

For the price of 1xHomepod you can buy 2xSonos One, resulting in better sound quality than the Apple option.

Many will like the looks of the HomePod over Sonos.

Ok, not arguing on that. But I would not choose one speaker over the other just for the appareance.

Many will want the improved integration that the HomePod offers over Sonos.

Improved, in which terms? Sonos is now integrated in Apple ecosystem with the Airplay2 capability.

There are many other reasons some may choose one over the other. Just because you prefer Sonos doesn't mean the same will be true for everyone else.

Of course that I dont think in absolute terms, each person and its necessities are different in each case, but if you analyze what you get for your money, the Sonos option IMO is more balanced option by far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.