Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sonos, known for its range of speakers and home theater products, is set to enter the headphone market in 2024. Rumors last year indicated Sonos would release headphones as soon as April 2024, but a new report today from Bloomberg suggests Sonos has delayed the launch due to a software issue.

Airpods-Max-Feature-Green-Triad.jpg

The headphones are expected to be available for purchase in the first half of June, with the launch pushed back while the software problem is addressed. Sonos is solving a problem with how the headphones connect to Wi-Fi networks.

Sonos is aiming to take on the AirPods Max with the Sonos headphones, which will have a price tag of $449 and an over-ear design. The headphones will be available in black and white, and are expected to include features like voice control navigation and synchronization with Sonos speakers, soundbars, and subwoofers.

Apple's AirPods Max headphones are priced at $549, but third-party retailers often have them available at a discount. Apple has not updated the AirPods Max since their 2020 launch, and they are nearing four years old.

We are expecting a refresh at some point this year, but rumors indicate Apple doesn't have plans for major new features. Instead, the AirPods Max will get a USB-C port, new colors, and little else.

Sonos is well-established in the speaker market and is the go-to for those who don't mind an expensive home theater setup, so the Sonos headphones could sell well if Sonos offers high-quality sound and deeper customization than is available with Apple's audio products.

Sonos CEO Patrick Spence confirmed in November 2023 that Sonos is set to enter a new market, and he said the company's offering would "delight customers and drive immediate revenue." Spence said Sonos will generate more than $100 million from new products in 2024, and that the new device would account for a large portion of the revenue in the second half of 2024.

In addition to headphones, Sonos also plans to unveil a set-top box to rival the Apple TV. That device could come as soon as late 2024. If Sonos sees success with the headphones, earbuds that rival the AirPods could come in the future.

Article Link: Sonos to Launch $449 Headphones in June to Compete With Apple's AirPods Max

Spaceboy88

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
New York, NY
I'm intrigued by these and assume if they're using WiFi that we can expect lossless audio support, at least when you're on WiFi.

It still baffles me that Apple's most expensive headphones don't offer lossless, even when wired. I don't know why they can't AirPlay lossless audio from your phone. (This is not to entice an argument about who can/can't hear lossless...I'm merely stating the fact that their top tier headphones don't support the top tier features of their own music streaming service.

yanksfan114

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
I’m excited not only because Sonos has been making really great products in last few years, but that it’ll hopefully crank up the heat on Apple to make the next AirPods Max better and not just a small refresh like MR has been suggesting. I would be inclined to pick the Sonos headphones over Max version 2 if all they did was put in a USB-C port. But like I said, I highly doubt it will be as incremental as MR and other websites suggest.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
I’ve kinda fallen out of love with Sonos over the years. Higher prices, bad app, and mediocre customer service. They are still the status quo but don’t see anything worthy with them on headphones and any battery product I’ve ever gotten from them has been problematic to say the least.

swiftapplefan

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2023
Honestly, I might get demolished for saying this, but compete with what? A pair of $250 earphones has more features and functionality than something more than double the price. The leaks point to the refresh being lackluster at best, with only a USB-C port and a 5 years old chip. Apple needs to realize that if they don’t shift its idea of AirPods Max they will never become a staple like AirPods or iPhones are. They are too expensive for casual customers, they have too little features for professional use. Either turn down the price and add more features for casual customers, or add a USB-C port with high-impedance audio, or even better a headphone jack for pro use. Only then they will sell. Just don’t keep them as they are now, since, relatively speaking, AirPods Max aren’t generating that much profit., as right now they’d don’t have a specific market to target. What I mean is, Apple needs to define who AirPods Max are for, then they’ll sell like expensive, but nevertheless hot cakes.

I made a mistake, thanks to the comments for pointing it out. I assumed in my post that AirPods Max weren’t selling we’ll even though I have no data to back up my point. That isn’t a valid statement to use in my argument. My bad.

Last edited:

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Love or hate Sonos, this could be the nail in the coffin for AirPods Max.

I recall Tim Cook once saying that Apple only enters a market if can make a meaningful contribution to it or indeed dominate by providing the best experience. I'm sure I'm not the only one in thinking that AirPods Max contributes little beyond seamless pairing with another Apple device.

The majority of the customer segment that want over-the-ear headphones are simply looking for a value, and you can get from the likes of Sony at less than half the price. AirPods Max is engineered fairly well but the sound quality doesn't justify the price tag, which is a pity given that the only other major selling point is integration within Apple's eco-system.

c84216

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2006
Honestly, I might get demolished for saying this, but compete with what? A pair of $250 earphones has more features and functionality than something more than double the price. The leaks point to the refresh being lackluster at best, with only a USB-C port and a 5 years old chip. Apple needs to realize that if they don’t shift its idea of AirPods Max they will never sell. They are too expensive for casual customers, they have too little features for professional use. Either turn down the price and add more features for casual customers, or add a USB-C port with high-impedance audio, or even better a headphone jack for pro use. Only then they will sell. Just don’t keep them as they are now, since, relatively speaking, AirPods Max aren’t generating that much profit.
It’s not that I disagree about the competition, it’s that you rely on data points (“never sell”, “aren’t generating that much profit”) you don’t have and are just assuming match your narrative, which may or may not be true.

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
Honestly, I might get demolished for saying this, but compete with what? A pair of $250 earphones has more features and functionality than something more than double the price. The leaks point to the refresh being lackluster at best, with only a USB-C port and a 5 years old chip. Apple needs to realize that if they don’t shift its idea of AirPods Max they will never sell. They are too expensive for casual customers, they have too little features for professional use. Either turn down the price and add more features for casual customers, or add a USB-C port with high-impedance audio, or even better a headphone jack for pro use. Only then they will sell. Just don’t keep them as they are now, since, relatively speaking, AirPods Max aren’t generating that much profit.

Exactly what I was thinking. I wouldn't recommend the current AirPods Max to anyone.

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
I highly doubt they are release these to ‘compete with AirPod max’ as this is a product with a vanishingly small market share. They probably aim at competing with more established and successful products.

Reactions: System603

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Love or hate Sonos, this could be the nail in the coffin for AirPods Max.

I recall Tim Cook once saying that Apple only enters a market if can make a meaningful contribution to it or indeed dominate by providing the best experience. I'm sure I'm not the only one in thinking that AirPods Max contributes little beyond seamless pairing with another Apple device
They’re in this market because they have streaming services for music and TV. HomePod probably doesn’t sell well either but it doesn't make sense to not have a speaker for Apple Music.

swiftapplefan

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2023
It’s not that I disagree about the competition, it’s that you rely on data points (“never sell”, “aren’t generating that much profit”) you don’t have and are just assuming match your narrative, which may or may not be true.
You’re right, thanks for pointing that out. I just edited my comment.

LuissCM

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2014
Alabama
They’re in this market because they have streaming services for music and TV. HomePod probably doesn’t sell well either but it doesn't make sense to not have a speaker for Apple Music.
On that note the Sonos Era 300 is probably the best speaker for Apple Music (or Amazon) + Dolby Atmos. Can't wait to see what features their new headphones may have :eek:

Godspeed8230

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2021
I love my Sonos setup but Sonos is all about multi-room. As of now I can’t see how headphones fit into this. Or will they be able to create a 5.1 experience? It‘s wait and see I guess.

Last edited:

McWetty

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
For me, I hope to see these in the market for no other reason than competition for APM.

Personally, I won’t buy these because they don’t have the H2/H3 chip so moving between Apple devices would be cumbersome. That said, I won’t buy the APM2 either if the current rumors pan out to be true. I need better features than what APM1 offers.

Spaceboy88

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
New York, NY
For me, I hope to see these in the market for no other reason than competition for APM.

Personally, I won’t buy these because they don’t have the H2/H3 chip so moving between Apple devices would be cumbersome. That said, I won’t buy the APM2 either if the current rumors pan out to be true. I need better features than what APM1 offers.
I will be shocked if the rumors of only minor updates to APM2 end up being true. If they don't support adaptive transparency, that would be a clear sign that Apple just doesn't give a f*ck about these and are just phoning it in. It will also be severely disappointing if they don't support lossless either. And while they're at it, fix that stupid "case," and make them actually comfortable to have around your neck when you're not wearing them.

cygy2k

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2005
Sonos makes great products with good or bad software (depending on your experience) but is really meant for bigger installations, multi-room setups, etc. I don't know that I'd enjoy using their existing software or feel like I'm getting any extra benefit out of them for that high of price.

While I love my APM and APP2, I use my 3 pairs of XM4s I just got more due to comfort and the ease of multi tapping the ear for controls. The XM5s hinges are as fragile as a 300 year old's knees. Yes, I have 3 pairs because I have Parkinson's and can't carry much with my cane/hands so have them staged at the 3 places I sit throughout the house.

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
Great! The high end ANC headphone space has lots of room to grow. I own or have owned many of the bluetooth ANC headphones over $350 and I have auditioned pretty much all of them. None is even close to perfect. The Airpods Max, Focal Bathys and B&W PX8 come closest to being simultaneously well built, beautiful, seamlessly functional and excellent sounding, but all of them have room to grow.

My only concerns are that SONOS might try to solve functional or connectivity problems with more on-device software, which is usually a bad idea, and that $450 is actually kind of a low MSRP.

flexwithmarius

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2022
Honestly, I might get demolished for saying this, but compete with what? A pair of $250 earphones has more features and functionality than something more than double the price. The leaks point to the refresh being lackluster at best, with only a USB-C port and a 5 years old chip. Apple needs to realize that if they don’t shift its idea of AirPods Max they will never become a staple like AirPods or iPhones are. They are too expensive for casual customers, they have too little features for professional use. Either turn down the price and add more features for casual customers, or add a USB-C port with high-impedance audio, or even better a headphone jack for pro use. Only then they will sell. Just don’t keep them as they are now, since, relatively speaking, AirPods Max aren’t generating that much profit., as right now they’d don’t have a specific market to target. What I mean is, Apple needs to define who AirPods Max are for, then they’ll sell like expensive, but nevertheless hot cakes.

I made a mistake, thanks to the comments for pointing it out. I assumed in my post that AirPods Max weren’t selling we’ll even though I have no data to back up my point. That isn’t a valid statement to use in my argument. My bad.
Even then, there are far too many pro audio options out there at different price points. None of the wireless or chip-based features matter once they’re plugged into a mixer and become just another component of your rig. Also, in order to become suitable for mixing, they’d need to be very neutral sounding and I don’t see Apple taking that position.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.