Sony boycott anyone?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, Mar 4, 2011.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So a federal judge has granted Sony a subpoena request to go after a hackers website who posted information on how to hack a PS3. The problem is that you just had to click the link and not even use the hack to be under Sony's lawsuit.
    http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/03/0...rmation-for-anyone-who-visited-hackers-sites/

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Seems like the fault lies with the Federal judge for granting the subpoena.

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

True but Sony has to realize that they are over reaching.

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

something is wrong with this justice system.

i can somehow understand sony because if they do not go after the hackers they could be liable for damages to their shareholders for not using all legal means to protect their business. i know, a lame argument but imaginable. but a justice breaching privacy for a non damaging hack for that you have to buy the PS3 anyway is troubling. they seem not to understand what the higher value to the public is. or they don't care about the public.......:mad:

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

1. The judge needs fired. We don't need idiots like him in the justice system.

2. How is Sony going to go after someone for hacking when they used to hack everyone who put a sony music CD in their computer? Did everyone forget about the sony rootkit that not only opened up your windows computer to attack, but also was un-removable. Any attempts to remove it damaged the OS and not even sony could create a removal tool for it.

If I were a judge I'd throw this lawsuit out of court.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Indeed. If Sony wins this case someone should use it as a precedent to sue them over the rootkit.

I've jailbroken my PS3 just to spite Sony over this. (Also, there's actually some pretty cool homebrew, especially old console emulators and MAME)

7. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

This magistrate should definitely be removed from duty, but that's not how our justice system works. At worst his ruling will be reversed (which it should be).

Personally this just makes me want to jailbreak my PS3 just to spite Sony. It almost made me consider selling my PS3 and getting a 360 but then I remembered I can't stand the 360 (or Microsoft).

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Do it! It's a very functional device. I think I'm going to try an arcade stick + MAME setup.

9. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

If Google or Apple made a console, would anyone buy it?

10. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Yes they would.

I am glad that I sold my PS3. I feel slightly bad that I own a Sony camera, but that's basically Minolta tech...

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Yes and no.

Sony claims they need the information to prove appropriate jurisdiction. Okay fine. Give it to them. Although the IP, one would think, is enough to show that folks in San Fran and surrounds were part of the culprits.

Now considering those folks just as guilty and trying to sue them for damages I agree is way overreaching. Nothing in the DCMA clearly states that accessing such info is illegal, just providing it is (even with the current exemptions)

Apple already has one. Or the hardware for one. The iOS powered Apple TV. Open it up to app designers to create games that run on the Apple TV while requiring in ipad/iphone/ipod touch for the controller. I saw a game recently that would work perfectly. It was called The Incident I think. You could play it alone on a single device but if you have an ipad and an iphone/ipod touch you could pair them so the ipad was the 'tv' and the whatever was your controller. Probably really easy to switch that latter option to the Apple TV and your whatever.

Course the one group of apps I would love to play that way will never come to be cause Nintendo would blow itself up before they created iOS versions of their games, even the old ones. So no Super Mario 1 for me now that my machine died.

12. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    jailbreaking my ps3 as im reading this...

i smell: large multi-corporate company lining the pockets of a judicial official

13. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

So you'll be boycotting the next iPhone, right?

15. Timmo78 macrumors newbie

Doesn't mean we can't hate on them a little. Although a boycott may never bring the demise of any such targeted entity, it can still send a message. All you can do is use the tools at your disposal really, vote with your feet!

16. remmy macrumors 6502a

eh?

17. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Pippin anyone? *snickers*

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The next iPhone is rumored to use Sony camera sensors.

19. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Lol, no thanks. I like my tv and Ps3 just fine. Do you really think Sony is coming after you?? Really?? Please. They'll end geohot and it'll be over.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^ Yup. Love my Bravia and PSP.
    Heh, my thoughts exactly. I bet the boycott is dropped for the iPhone 5 ;).

21. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

No. I like my my Blu-ray players a bit too much to go after a couple hackers.

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'd sure be whining a lot more if Apple had successfully made jailbreaking illegal. But they got shot down hard. Which is exactly what should happen to Sony.

Anonymous took down PSN for a few hours and several Sony sites, on a side note. Been an interesting 'net drama.

23. mehanika Guest

Well.. i've been having a hard time choosing between PS3 or Xbox.. Looks like Sony decided they don't trust me, so i will not trust my money to them..

Hello Xbox..!

24. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Discovering who visited a website is a whole lot different than naming those people in a lawsuit. The demand is overbroad, but until a visitor to the guy's website gets named in the lawsuit, I really cannot get all that excited about it. This kind of stuff happens every single day. The "tech" angle is the only reason the media has any interest in this thing at all.

25. Skika macrumors 68030

anyone who starts to boycott Sony or is feeling bad about having Sony products because of this, is a very close minded individual.