Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reuters reports that Sony Corp is working on a cellphone/game player hybrid to better compete with Apple's iPod Touch and iPhone.
Sony plans to set up a project team as early as July to develop a new product that combines functions of its portable game player and Sony Ericsson's mobile phones, the Nikkei said.
Sony appears to be considering a number of different moves to go head-to-head with Apple's iPod Touch and iPhone platform. An earlier report claims Sony was talking to major recording companies about providing downloadable music to the Playstation Portable (PSP). While Apple's devices aren't dedicated gaming machines, there is a notable overlap in audiences and the App Store has started attracting major gaming developers such as Capcom, id Software, and Square Enix.

The PSP has sold over 50 million units worldwide in the past 4 years, while Apple has already reached over 40 million units sold in the past 2 years.

Article Link: Sony Designing Mobile Phone/PSP Hybrid to Better Compete Against iPhone?

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Im still wondering why people think a phone and a game console are in competition. Any serious gamer knows that the iPhone is not a very good unit to game on, yet the media keeps thinking it can compete with the psp.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
The greatest weakness of the iPhone is the lack of buttons for gaming. As great as the touchscreen is, you need a D-pad + 2 buttons to get quality controls. The lack of feedback makes most games frustrating to me, particually the ones that try to be more traditional.

kamiboy

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Ah, good old SONY, always a day too late for the party. Another botched waste of potential coming up. I swear, nothing SONY has done since the PlayStation 2 has even scraped the same neighbouring universe of its success. At this rate of failiure the PSOne, PS2 and Walkman are at the danger of actually being seriously considered coincidental successes, and abysmal failiure being the norm.

bbadalucco

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Im still wondering why people think a phone and a game console are in competition. Any serious gamer knows that the iPhone is not a very good unit to game on, yet the media keeps thinking it can compete with the psp.

I was under the impression Apple was trying to improve gaming on the iPhone...to directly compete with the likes of the Nintendo DS and PSP??? Didn't they install a better GPU this time around?

zwilliams07

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2004
Detroit, MI
Reminds me of just before the release of the PSP and all the Sony fanboys were proclaiming it would kill the iPod. They clamored that it would eviscerate the iPod in features and in sales. Slightly over five years later only 51.6 million PSPS, and iPod with its almost eight years at some 206 million.

'pwn3d.'

bbadalucco

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
The greatest weakness of the iPhone is the lack of buttons for gaming. As great as the touchscreen is, you need a D-pad + 2 buttons to get quality controls. The lack of feedback makes most games frustrating to me, particually the ones that try to be more traditional.

Agreed...have you played sonic on the iPhone? It has an attempted D-pad and a button

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

I don't think it's a question of whether or not the iPhone is a better gaming unit than the PSP... but it's probably "good enough" to the point that people will think twice about buying a dedicated portable gaming device when their iPhone or iPod Touch does a good enough job.

arn

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
I was under the impression Apple was trying to improve gaming on the iPhone...to directly compete with the likes of the Nintendo DS and PSP??? Didn't they install a better GPU this time around?
this:

Gamers tend to "float" their thumbs on the buttons, touching them but not pressing them. This is impossible on the iPhone, which makes it very awkward to hold if you arent pressing any buttons. Imo, the DS got it right, a touch screen with buttons that can work on their own or together in any given game.

We also have to think about games. Sure, indie devs are awesome, and make some really cool games, but can a bunch of indie devs compete with the likes of God of War, Ratchet and Clank, MotorStorm, and MGS?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I don't think it's a question of whether or not the iPhone is a better gaming unit than the PSP... but it's probably "good enough" to the point that people will think twice about buying a dedicated portable gaming device when their iPhone or iPod Touch does a good enough job.

arn
I can understand the iPod Touch but when you add a phone contract to that on the iPhone...

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
sony needs to pull something out of their magical rear after that disaster which is the psp go. the psp go had potential but instead of adding new features they just shoved the psp-3000 into a smaller case and jacked up the price.

Had they combined the sony mylo with the psp it would have killed the iPod Touch imo

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
BRING IT, SONY!

MAMA SAID KNOCK YOU OUT! :apple:
Good lord I have this song.

and what? Some people actually do want cell phone service.

arn
True but then you're running into a jack of all trades device and master of none. All of these portable and console devices are spilling over from true gaming roots into home theater and media hub with varying degrees of success. It's getting to be a mess of overlapping utility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.