Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fosty

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
Apple has won nothing.

Sorry you're wrong.:rolleyes:

Apple has won mobile - therefore Nintendo and Sony are joining the platform (by making games) instead of making mobile platforms of their own. There are hundreds of millions of iPhones at this point just from the iPhone 5 forward compared to the Nintendo 3DS (57million as of last year) or PS Vita (under 10million by unofficial numbers since Sony keeps the actual numbers secret).

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
That will never happen. They aren't going to port existing games. They are going to create mobile games. If anything you may get a puzzle game for Zelda and a shooter on rails as metal gear solid.

I never said they will, anyways, I think it'll be a major improvement over the games on the App Store today.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Sorry you're wrong.:rolleyes:

Apple has won mobile - therefore Nintendo and Sony are joining the platform (by making games) instead of making mobile platforms of their own. There are hundreds of millions of iPhones at this point just from the iPhone 5 forward compared to the Nintendo 3DS (57million as of last year) or PS Vita (under 10million by unofficial numbers since Sony keeps the actual numbers secret).
You can't compare the functionality of a 3DS with a touchscreen interface. And apple (with it's tiny iOS market share) has little to do with it.

But mobile gaming on smartphones generally has overtaken devices like the 3DS, but that's old news, sherlock. And most mobile games have no depths at all, they're just casual entertainment.

Last edited:

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
I never said they will, anyways, I think it'll be a major improvement over the games on the App Store today.

Not really an improvement, just more familiar titles that play exactly the same as other games in the App Store. Nintendo and Sony could do this right but they will have to release crappy games before they understand we want ports not Mario masked runners

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
Can already see it: Sonic can run fast (f2p version), want him to run faster? Get some fruit for real $ ...

Mobile gaming is as useful as 480p displays nowadays.

Fosty

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
You can't compare the functionality of a 3DS with a touchscreen interface. And apple (with it's tiny iOS market share) has little to do with it.

No one is comparing functionality except you. The issue is who dominates mobile. The answer is Apple. To remind you of the original quote you took issue with, "This is a game Apple has already won..." Further iOS market share is irrelevant. What's relevant is their user base and the likelihood of their users to spend money - which is substantial - thus this news of Sony and Nintendo developing software for iOS.

But mobile gaming on smartphones generally has overtaken devices like the 3DS, but that's old news, sherlock.

Apparently not to you - as you sit here going back and forth with me over it.

And most mobile games have no depths at all, they're just casual entertainment.

Yes the glut of fps games on console are so deep. :rolleyes: But that's a separate topic as well for a different thread I suggest you take it there.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

"Sony doesn't have the same power as the Nintendo IP. There is nothing that comes even close to Mario," Toto said.

"If the first couple of games from that company just don't work, I think the smartphone game business will see the same fate as the portable game business. Nobody talks about the Vita anymore," the analyst added, referring to Sony's PS Vita handheld console.

LMAO ... Sony doesn't have the IP says Toto ... hmm is that Why Sony STILL is KING in the console wars for 4 generations straight in the USA and Globally? Is that why Ratchet & Clank has it's OWN movie and not a cameo in a comedians movie (ahem Pixel)?

Just wait until Sony releases classics such as the PSOne's Metal Gear Solid from 17yrs ago with online gaming with others or new titles. You'll see that love for Nintendo weakly welcomed at WWDC 2016 get shunted!

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
...Sony STILL is KING in the console wars for 4 generations straight in the USA and Globally?

Just wait until Sony releases classics such as the PSOne's Metal Gear Solid from 17yrs ago with online gaming with others

1 movie and Sony is king? What metric are you using to determine their victory? And for rehashed 17 year old games, that will be 9.99. How many times have they duped you into rebuying the same game?

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
More like bandicoot see what plumber do. And plumber picked it up from a hedgehog.

Meanwhile Microsoft made Halo stickers for no real reason. Kind of seems like a desperate cry for attention like "hey iOS, we're still cool too, right?" (gentle chat bubble effect)
Lol Microsoft has way more of a foothold in the gaming industry than Apple ever will. Get real please

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Can already see it: Sonic can run fast (f2p version), want him to run faster? Get some fruit for real $ ...

Mobile gaming is as useful as 480p displays nowadays.
I guessing you are referring to games that use tap and swipe vs those that can utilise a controller?

Have you ever played a game like Unkilled, Asphalt 8, Modern Combat 5, World of Gunships, Riptide GP: Renegades with a controller? If you had, you wouldn't be making that comment. And yes, you can buy IAP's, but any of the games I just mentioned don't require it to play and win.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Apple has won nothing. A side scroller Mario? Please...

The ATV4 was a failure too (so far).
All the potential in the ATV4 for gaming, all of it squandered. More so now with Game Center gone, such a dumb and unnecessary decision. They could've just let us hide it, like they did with those other apps, but NOOO, let's make a hasty decision and ruin it! Because we're Apple!

What's the point of achievements if only you can see them? Not even your friends? A nice record of your time playing games maybe, but even then; you can't even see your achievements in some games like Tomb Raider. It's broken as all hell.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Apple has won nothing. A side scroller Mario? Please...

The ATV4 was a failure too (so far).
The ATV4 is still being sold as the latest box form apple so it can't be talked on past tense. Plus, its not a failure, its a failure if you bought it as a gaming machine though. For all the other things its an improvement from the atv3.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
The ATV4 is still being sold as the latest box form apple so it can't be talked on past tense. Plus, its not a failure, its a failure if you bought it as a gaming machine though. For all the other things its an improvement from the atv3.
We were talking about gaming and apple, that's why I mentioned it.

I still have v3.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
If Gran Turismo comes to iOS... :eek:
I find it interesting how the markets are diverging. People want the same games (Zelda, Mario, GTA etc) but on widening devices. Nintendo's current setup is they sell the same games for their big TV Wii U platform, and also for the portable 3DS line. You want Gran Turismo on something small like a phone, I want it on VR with a racing wheel.

Not saying either is bad. People want to play the games they like where they want. Just interesting seeing such a wide split now that both portable and full screen tech are both improving and going their separate ways.

Reactions: keysofanxiety
Lol Microsoft has way more of a foothold in the gaming industry than Apple ever will. Get real please

Lol, I hardly call this sticker pack a game. But nice try.

Also I think it's great that people are actually spending the time to defend consoles and pc's from iPhones and iPads. If it were no contest between iOS and consoles then we wouldn't be having this discussion, it also wouldn't have been brought up by a console/PC fan.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Lol, I hardly call this sticker pack a game. But nice try.

Also I think it's great that people are actually spending the time to defend consoles and pc's from iPhones and iPads. If it were no contest between iOS and consoles then we wouldn't be having this discussion, it also wouldn't have been brought up by a console/PC fan.
I'm not even going to bother with this. The straw man is too strong here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.