Sony Playstation (Vita) TV Thread

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gkarris, Sep 11, 2013.

1. gkarris, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Place for Sony Vita TV news, reviews, info.

Anyone getting one?

Is Ouya doomed?

Will Apple even bother adding games to the AppleTV?

2. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I will definitely get one if:

- PS4 remote play works well via internet connection

or

- PS4 controller touch pad can be used for Vita games with touch controls.

Either one of those will be enough for me to make the purchase and take this on business trips. But if the PS4 remote play doesn't work well, and I can't play games like Gravity Rush and Uncharted, what's the point...

3. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Interesting articles starting to appear.

This one about Ouya's new future:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/opin...sony-s-ambition-is-dangerous-for-ouya/0120720

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think it's a hugely important device, more so than the Vita itself.

If one doesn't have a Vita: it's a way of building up a PSN collection of games; PS1, PSP, PS Vita and Minis - each has a different pay bracket from cheap to full-price. Down the line they might think "oh, so I can take these on the road?", suddenly they have a load of existing content for the Vita.

If one does have a Vita: it allows you to play your existing games and stream others (if you have a PS4).

And it's just $99.

The Vita library is quite good. There are loads of indie games and lower-priced-but-full-content games. That part is a stab at similar devices, because there is already a huge library of content available and it's established.

As I say I think it's going to be huge. It's a small gamble on Sony's part and a huge threat to everyone else (Apple, Ouya, Microsoft - more competitors products in the living room).

It's a long shot but if this gets merged into new Sony TV's, well, that would be quite monumental.

5. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

The big question is can the micro console business exist.

Your looking at $150 once you get a controller and memory card.

You can today buy a PS3 that comes with a controller and everything you need to get going for just $200. What consumer would want to opt for the Vita TV when the PS3 offers I believe a better gaming experience.

The Vita TV seems to be aimed not at those that just want that box and nothing else, but the consumer that already has a PS4 and wants other TVs to play their PS4 games. The ability to play Vita titles is a nice side trick.

What am I missing?

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

IMO of course, the benefits are;

• It won't be $150 for everyone. I'd even imagine that the people who buy this are the people with Playstation consoles, they'll already have the controller and possibly a spare Vita memory card. (Anecdotal warning: everyone I know with a Vita has the bundled 4-8gb card stored away and now uses a 16 or 32gb card)
    • Outside of the game functionality; it's a tiny streamer. Netflix, Youtube, PS4 and all that.
    • Different types of games. The PS3 does it's big sprawling titles, and a few smaller titles. But the Vita has those by the bucket. It's the same appeal as the Ouya has to some: cheap(ish) micro console that plays short, addictive, cheap games. Look at the mobile and PC market. People really like cheap+short games!

If Micro-consoles take off, this will be king. That's what I think. And I also think micro-consoles have every possibility to do so, just not in the form of Ouya but something that is already established (Apple or Sony).

7. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

That's one of the arguments online. It is for everyone, yet it isn't. For people who are part of the Sony gaming culture, it is essential for streaming PS4 to other TV's in the home, or playing your Vita library on the big screen.

But, as the article above talked about, Sony also has positioned it to go up against the burgeoning Microconsole market. But the market is in the process of trying to figure itself out. If you want an entire setup, the discussion online is wondering if it is really worth it.

As far as pricing:

VitaTV w/ Controller + 8 Gig card: $150
    Ouya w/ Controller + 8 Gig internal: $99
    Wii System w/ games: $129 (drop to $99 or introduce Wii Mini worldwide?)
    XBox 360 w/ Controller, DVD + 4 Gig internal: $199 (drop to $149 this holiday?)
    Sony PS3 w/ Controller, Blu-ray + 12 Gig internal: $199
    AppleTV: $99 + price of controller (no App Store & Gaming yet uncertain)

So as a Micro-console, is it a bit overpriced?

I would love to get one, as I love my GB Player (though it needs a GameCube) - kinda cool using carts on a Microconsole - so Retro... ;)

8. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

For me, the main selling point is portability. That thing is tiny, I can always throw this and a controller (and cables...) in my suitcase when I go on business trips. Plug it into any hotel room TV, and I have a "real" gaming experience on the go, especially if they pull off the PS4 remote play.

Couldn't do that with a PS3, 360 or Wii. Not sure how big the Ouya is, but that thing has no appeal to me anyways.

9. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

My main point if your read what I was trying to go after was it is a FANTASTIC second or third box for PS4 owners. The case as a stand alone box just for Vita games is hard to make. Streaming media would be the better sell. I love the idea for PS4 owners, but I'm not sure if the price points of micro consoles make sense with PS3/X360 being so cheap with a great game library.

I'm not a Vita TV hater - I'm just not sure if Vita is the main selling point of the box :)

10. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

I think that VitaTV will be many things to different people.

I was pondering an Ouya and hoping for Apple to add games to the AppleTV until this was announced.

I can now go and get Vita games and watch Hulu and Netflix on it (instead of using an old power-hungry PS3).

11. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

Agreed - this box will be many things to many people - I hope they can message it correctly and inform the public what this thing actually does. I'm still wondering what the USA release date is.

12. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

I'm worried about game compatibility - I assume that most Vita games so far utilize the touch screens somehow, and this isn't possible with a Dual Shock 3. Even if it's a game that shouldn't need touch controls like Uncharted or Assassin's Creed, I'm pretty sure they put some touch gimmick there that won't work on a Vita TV.

BUT we'll see how the games will work out when this is out. I would buy one of these since I don't have a Vita, and I have a spare Dual Shock 3 lying around.

13. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

I've read that the touchscreen issues will be solved when they make the VitaTV DS4 compatible...

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If it allows me to play my PS4 in a different room, I'll get it 100%

15. gkarris, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

16. Quotenfrau macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's more a companion to the PS4 rather than an alternative.

18. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

It's pretty popular...

Sony's entry into the new microconsole arena against Ouya and others:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microconsole

Apple has chosen instead to develop the iPad/iPhone/iPod instead of turning the AppleTV into one - at the moment.

19. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

Warning, do not import - it only works with a Japanese psn account!

20. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I have one of those :p Anyone can get one, kinda a non issue?

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not really a non issue, most of my PS Vita purchase are all digital or have lots of free things from PS+ so sadly it wouldn't work for me.

I was going to import one to put in another room for PS4 remote play - but will have to wait for Euro release next year.

22. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

I have a Japanese account too, but I'm certain all your purchases are on your actual account...

23. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

24. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ and Europe.

I'm going to get one just as a ps4 extender in another room.