Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
^ and Europe.

I'm going to get one just as a ps4 extender in another room.

Was considering doing the same so I dont have to move the PS4 from the living/entertaining room and can then play my PS4 in my office.

I hope it is seamless and no lag like the remote play for the PS Vita/PS 4 thing.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'll probably pick one up. I'll probably get one and fill it with PS1 and PSP games, rather than playing Vita games on my TV. It only outputs stereo sound so I won't be using it for PS4 streaming.

Yotsuba

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2010
Newport News, Virginia
I plan on buying a PlayStation TV. I already have a Vita, but would like to be able to play certain Vita games on my TV. Persona 4 Golden and Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 are just two of the games that I think would be better on a larger screen.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
What I want to know is whether more games are made compatible now that the DS4 controller is available. Some touch screen elements could be covered with the DS4's touch pad.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Has anyone bought one of these lately?

First, Sony dropped the price of the core unit to $80, the bundle to $100.

I got one used at Gamestop for $60! Looks new (cables were still in the packing with ties) as I guess Gamestop gave them away with a purchase of a new PS4 so people brought back the PS TV in for credit.

So far, it's kinda awesome, though for some reason still in it's infancy. I got a couple of Vita games that don't work with it yet. :(

Hulu is now fully available and is exactly the same as on the PS3, and I now don't have to run my PS3 to watch Hulu.

Netflix and YouTube not available yet.

I was gonna try Playstation Now on it, but I don't see the need in "renting" games for more than actually buying a used physical copy. I erased it from my system.

I just got Destiny on PS4 and it comes with a free PSN+ trial. Will sign up this weekend to see what kind of games I can get for it to try.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I bought one near US launch. Got it mostly for remote play, but also to play the free PS+ subscription Vita games.

Works great for PS+ Vita games that are compatible.

Remote play only works well with fully wired ethernet connection. Even then, there is some controller lag (100-200ms), but it is just fine with most games except for the most timing sensitive, and than it's just a matter of re-learning the timing a bit.

Love both features, I think it's a great little box for these two applications.

kingc0bra

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
Just ordered one last week when Gamestop had them for $40, should be getting it today.

Mainly got it for remote play, hopefully it works fine for that

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
These things have really come down in price recently. I could pick one up for 40 bucks right now.

What's the verdict on PS4 remote play from outside your home network? Say, a friend's house or hotel room with decent wifi? Usable at all?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
These things have really come down in price recently. I could pick one up for 40 bucks right now.

What's the verdict on PS4 remote play from outside your home network? Say, a friend's house or hotel room with decent wifi? Usable at all?

Yeah - I picked up a spare used one at Gamestop - they're normally $30 used but with buy 2 get one free it came out to $20... makes up for paying $60 for mine used a while back...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.