Sony PS4 Reveal on June 10

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gkarris, May 20, 2013.

1. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    For me there is no hype. I just look forward to more good games, but graphics, trophies, share features, and move support do not make good games.

2. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

Yea I'm not sure if Sony understands what makes great games. They just throw every sensor and mechanic into a controller and hope for the best.

Any serious gaming company would have rethought that terrible controller by now. Why is the directional pad still in the primary control position - that is probably the least used input, but it remains the most prominent.

3. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Unno, I still prefer the PS controller over the monstrosities Nintendo and MS have put out.

I guess it's just what you're used to.

(Still think the Dreamcast was my favorite)

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not really! It's giving us (as developers) options. I never used motion controls in my PS3 or Vita games, but other games have used them perfectly.

Perhaps it's used because of symmetry? In almost all 3D games both analogue sticks are used at once, so it makes sense to have them level, no? Similarly almost all 2D games would use the d-pad and face buttons.

That's how I always saw it.

5. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Couldn't disagree more, the first party games from Sony over the past 5 years have been unmatched, Microsoft's offering has been woeful in comparison.
    And I love the analogue sticks where they are. Perfect.

Anyway, I can't wait to see what the box looks like, the snippets we have seen look interesting.

6. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Same thing can be said about the Xbox controller. It just feels very wrong to use.

As for the games, Sony always has amazing exclusives. Also, having both a PS3 and 360 at home, I always enjoyed the same games on the PS3.

7. PFKMan23 macrumors regular

Me too. The Xbox controller is just too awkward to use.

8. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

Simply put I agree with John Siracusa on why the Playstation controller needs rethought - take a listen to Hypercritical 49/50 to hear the argument against having the analog sticks in the secondary position.

http://5by5.tv/hypercritical/49

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Take a listen to a 2 hour podcast?
    And I'm sure they make a compelling internet argument. You can argue anything, but the position the PS layout went with makes sense, even Nintendo decided to "copy" that layout over the Xbox. Symmetry: 3D analogues, 2D dpad and buttons. That's why.

10. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

Nintendo did it right by having the analogues up top in primary control position. Unlike Sony where the sticks where just tacked on without a thought (referring to Wii U Pro Controller and GamePad)

The reason the Wii Pro Controller mimicked Sony is because the d pad is the main control for virtual console titles and many other games that controller is for) - it is telling they rethought the sticks for Wii U.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

There is no "default position" unless it's not comfy. Nintendo also couldn't copy the layout without facing a lawsuit.

12. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

Wow you lost me there - all controllers have a primary and secondary position. If you would naturally grip a controller that is where your fingers fall.

With PS controllers that primary controller spot is the D-Pad.

With Wii U - it is the Analog Sticks.

Having to contort your fingers in an unnatural way is just not a good way to design a controller. But, I guess you like it - and thats great.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I disagree completely, The positions of the sticks don't affect my comfort. I don't understand when some people say they have to hold the DS in a discomforting position or there thumbs rub into each other. I have pretty big hands and my thumbs never touch whiles playing.

I don't have a problem with the 360 or the PS3 placement of the sticks but the 360 buttons are my concern.

Bless

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

And that position isn't fixed at all. How do you hold a controller? If I put my hands down on a PS3 controller (bearing in mind I'm not conditioned this way having never owned a PS1 or 2), mine land on the analogue sticks. I can make the top row the default if I move my arms closer. I hold mine with my arms apart, palm not resting on the handles, ring and little finger wrapped around the back of the handles. Base of my index finger resting next to the shoulder buttons.

15. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

So the handles on the controller are just there to look good? - seems at the very least the handles should aid the player in holding it better - or am I missing something?

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

On the flip side I have small hands, I've never found any PS controller very comfortable and I bang my thumbs together at times when using both analog sticks. The angle of the 'handles' makes my hands cramp during marathon sessions and the contours on the underside of the Sixaxis have rubbed blisters on my fingers before. The D-pad is great but I the face buttons are too mushy for my liking.

The Xbox controller (not the huge, original one) I find very comfortable. I'm not surprised though as I loved the DC controller and MS, uh, borrowed heavily from it for the Xbox controllers. The Xbox controller's D-pad is horrible but I like the tactile response of the face buttons and the feel of the triggers. The bumpers aren't great but they get the job done. The PS controller's shoulder buttons might be better placed, but it's been a long time since I've used a Sony controller so I can't say for sure.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yes you are clearly missing something, you hold the controller so it's comfiest for you and the position you're in. I have medium sized hands and I sit back on my couch, so my default position is my arms are apart and so my thumbs land nicely on the analogue sticks (a little high up though).

18. brains & brawn macrumors newbie

brains & brawn

can't wait...most likely will be buying it when it comes out

19. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

20. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

21. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Here's to hoping the interface is snappy this time, not so slow that it's best to quit Dark Souls 2 before trying to type a message to your helper that you get invaded in the minute to two it takes for the interface to work.

22. gto55 macrumors 6502a

gto55

23. gto55, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  24. Lennholm macrumors 6502a

Why not? The layouts of both the Xbox and PS controllers are blatant copies of controllers that were made by Nintendo anyway.