Sony PSP2 has quad-core A9 CPU, Apple's iPhone5 too?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MBX, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

2. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

3. aluren macrumors 65816

I'm really glad Sony has stepped it up spec-wise with this PSP. It will definitely put the portable device market on notice. I think they understand that the iOS devices are a serious threat to the portable gaming market and hence their new touchscreen (front and back) and increased speed/graphics capabilities. I like the direction they are going with, instead of try to conform the device to become a phone, they made the best portable gaming device. The only question I have is why release the details so early? What good does it do for them other than warn their competitors?

And no, I don't think the iPhone 5 will have quad core. Dual core for sure.

4. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

The PSP2 is really damn impressive.

Quad core A9 cpu, and each A9 core is about 30-50% more powerful than the single core A8 cpu that powers the current iPhone 4.

Quad core SGX543 gpu, and each SGX543 core is almost twice as powerful as the single core SGX535 gpu that powers the current iPhone 4.

LPDDR2 ram, which runs at about six times the clock speed of the LPDDR1 ram being used in the current iPhone 4.

Anyway you look at it, the PSP2 is roughly six times more powerful than the iPhone 4, and yet the iPhone 4 can run games that look as amazing as Epic Citadel. So just imagine how good PSP2 games could look.

5. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

Why are you guys comparing a pure gaming device to a phone?

Yes it may have 3G capability but it's not a phone.

6. Savor, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

Savor Suspended

Savor

I hope Jesse Divnich's is right and we get this device between $299-$349. That might be slightly more than a PS3 by the time of release, but still reasonable if you compare it to 7 inch screen tablets and cell phones w/ no contracts that cost over $500. And this device is far more powerful than those $500 gadgets. An iPad 2 will still go off over $500 using only the dual core A9. I would rather get this than a tablet because I can play "big boy" games too with nomore virtual, touchscreen d-pad nonsense. I also hope for GORILLA GLASS for the screen and not the glass Apple used on the iPhone 4.

The one thing nobody is really talking about but could be a gamechanger is PlayStation Suite and Sony's allegiance with Android. That is like one big F.U. to Apple. This could change the gaming outlook on Android in less than year. This is a smart move by Sony that neither Nintendo and Microsoft has took advantage of. To ally yourself with more cell phone users and not just for the NGP buyers.

I predict two things - Nintendo 3DS will win the handheld war (again). Why? Because they have a head start as early as next month and the price will likely be cheaper. Underpowered/cheaper systems tend to win the war anyway. Selling the best doesn't always equal better. Like comparing sales of a Civic to a BMW 7 series. 3DS will likely be the best selling gadget of 2011 even surpassing the iPhone 5 and iPad 2. But while 3DS may win the war, Sony's NGP will win the hearts for the true gamers in the longer run. Like owning both a Wii and PS3 (or 360). Most serious gamers always go back playing their "big boy" systems more over the gimmicky Wii catered for parties, exercise, younger kids, and grandparents. I want to love the 3DS, but absolutely HATE 3D in anything. A 60+ year old failed gimmick that needs to die already. Oh well. I still want to get MGS3 and play it all over again!

In the end, we need BOTH 3DS and NGP to balance each other out since Nintendo and Sony tend to target different audiences. The real winners at the end are all types of gamers.

7. amarcus macrumors 6502

I imagine the PSP2's specs are similar to that of the iPhone 6 and not the iPhone 5. I expect only a dual core for the 5th, the 6th might get a quad. Remember that when the PSP finally comes out in the states (very late this year or early next year) we will be <6 months away from the 6th iPhone anyway.

Adam

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Do you have to lug around a car battery to play that thing? Maybe technology has advanced a lot, but if it's as powerful as a PS3 then it will take a car battery to power it for about five minutes.

It's nice to see Sony is smart enough to kill that lame UMD format. Maybe it was neat for a day or two, but I think the iPhone and iPod touch app store came out maybe 18 months later with all downloadable games plus downloadable movies and music. I never understood the concept of buying a movie separately to play on that thing.

I doubt you could totally rely on flash storage to hold games, but it would be a semi-smart move. With 32GB of flash, how many PSP2 games would it hold? I think the biggest iOS game I have seen is about 150-200MB.

It looks like neat technology, but it's still got that Sony-branded BLAH all over it. The shapes on the buttons thing got old quite a while ago. Maybe I'm just a grumpy Xbox and Wii owner, but a lot of that stuff looks goofy.

9. Reddmanz macrumors regular

Exactly what I was thinking. Sure, its a lot more powerful on paper but Im sure there are more overall uses for an iPhone.

10. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Couldn't have said it better myself. 3D has ruined movies and we saw how the 3D TV market failed. I guess every few years they hope to rope in another generation of gullible "I'll buy anything with shiny lights" crowd.

11. coder12 macrumors 6502a

coder12

If the new PSP gets jailbroken and can play Mega Man Maverick Hunter X, then I might buy it :)

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I'm impressed at the hardware. They better include a netflix app. This is more in competition with the iTouch rather than the iPhone.

I won't be getting one though, as I barely used the PSP slim that I had.

13. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

The Nintendo 3DS will include glasses free 3D and has two screens. Also both PSP and DS have buttons. That does not mean the iPhon will have to include those features too :p

14. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I"ve been in the computing industry for many years. I don't claim to know everything, nor do I claim to be an expert on anything.
    But I do so wish that people would release this concept of "The higher the speed/the more the cores, the better it is compared to everything else".
    Really, its not that valid.
    Sure, you can say one is better than the other if they're running an exact same testbed or sandbox.
    But these are not. The PSP might have 8 cores and the iPhone or whatever only has 1. But if the software running on them isn't written correctly, or is a resource hog, etc. That comparison goes right out the window.

Saying the PSP has XX cores doesn't mean its automatically better. Its running a different core software.

In this case, Sony is the orange. Apple is the apple.

15. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Sony keeps betting that the more powerful system is going to be the most successful. They haven't learned from their mistakes, and they are taking a big gamble with the PSP2. Nintendo DS/DSi crushed PSP despite the latter being significantly more capable. iOS and Android are significant competitors because they have games that are both much less expensive and easier to play in small blocks of time. I really don't think the mass market wants a console experience in their hand-held device. Certainly, there are hardcore gamers that will love to play games like Call of Duty and the like on the go, but the mass market plays games like Angry Birds and social games like Farmville.

This could be PS3 all over again: great hardware at a price point that pushes customers to their competitors. Personally, I only want one device to carry around and that is going to be my phone. I like to game on my phone, but usually only in short time periods in between tasks. The DS/DSi sold well because all of the kids wanted it and it was affordable enough to sell in huge quantities. But now that phones can do just about everything, I think the time has come where more people just want that one device that does everything. They want something that can easily fit in their pocket/purse, not something the size of the PSP2.

That's just my feeling on it... I'm sure it will sell great at first to hardcore gamers who have been dying for a hand-held that can play console-like games. The thing is, I am very much a hardcore gamer and I am not interested this at all. I want to play games like this on my 52" HDTV with my console at home. When I'm on the go, I want to play games like Angry Birds...

16. elan123 macrumors 6502

Strange what people think of these days.

17. aluren macrumors 65816

x2. Oh look, this new NGP doesn't make calls, it's totally different...

The iPhone is stepping on the toes of the gaming industry players like Sony and Nintendo, so while the NGP is not a phone, the iPhone IS a gaming device. And besides, how much hardware do you need to make a phone call? All of the specs on the iPhone 4 are mostly for processing and graphics. I think the NGP is going to eat at the iPod Touch market. Alot of kids are gonna want the NGP over the iPod.

18. mobiletech macrumors member

How Sony can rule the portable industry.

Ditch the: buttons, back screen.
    Ensure decent battery life.
    Add LTE and hsp+ support
    Ability to wirelessly connect to PS3 controllers.
    Hdmi port

Offer all the ps1,2 and PSP games reasonably or offer a program that will allow you to use old discs to download and install on their new device for $1-3 per game.

Angry birds, cut the rope, and words with friends is fun, but you can't compete with a phone that has metal gear solid 1+2, ape escape, and final fantasy 6 and up.

19. apprunner macrumors regular

It'll be interesting how successful the PSP2 will be in the long run. A cell phone generation change is about 6 months to a year. By 2013, you may have an iPhone that would be 50% more powerful than a PSP2 and if you think the PSP2 has a generational life of 8 years, it would be relatively weak compared to the smartphone market.

I think all dedicated handheld gaming devices are doomed...

20. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

We have seen some serious iOS games with console like quality from Gameloft & co only since some months ago and with the iphone4/ retina display launch.

Sony/ Playstation/ PSP is in the games market since so many years. The App store and the iOS gaming is fairly new.

We're seeing more high-end titles coming to iOS

21. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

You can't play MGS, Black Ops, Final Fantasy 10 online using the PSN. Dual Analog sticks is the big game changer. Id pay 400 for it, But there will be a wifi model for 300-350 i bet. Can't wait. Why so early Sony?

22. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Do you have a source on the RAM type?

Also, the theoretical polygon count isn't double on the 543 comapred to the 535, just the texture fill rate.

23. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

I agree you can't play MGS on iOS but with Gameloft successfully "ripping off" all possible console games/ genres we'll see a MGS type of game from Gameloft soon too :D

24. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Lol, Im not talking about a title with cute touch controls. Have you tried to play Sonic in the App store? Pathetic.

I want to play Black Ops or Killzone with real controls online using my PSN ID