Sony Seeking to Beat Apple in Revolutionizing Television

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
I can't wait for a tv that will cost twice as much, only suppots 720p and will not allow me to hook up a blu ray player, a xbox 360, or a ps3.

Since you first arrived you've posted nothing but similar troll crap. Is your life really so empty that you have nothing better to do, or is this your Samsung job?

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
That guy looks money hungry
Not sure about that, but he does appear an ego-maniac. I think it's interesting that he said that they have spent the last 5 years to compete with Steve Jobs, as opposed to Apple. It gives me the feeling that he thinks of this as him vs. Steve Jobs as opposed to Sony vs. Apple, or as opposed to Sony just doing the best job it can (not worrying about the competition, but trying to make the best products they can is what made Apple successful).

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sony hasn't revolutionized anything since the Walkman.
The Playstation was pretty revolutionary too.

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Everyone.

I wasn't saying that Apple was going to be slow at launching a TV and that they wont beat Sony. It's just a fact. The sony Walkman was the real deal at the time, but the iPod was thousands times better. Could the Apple TV be thousands times better and surpass Sony TV sales? Yes, it could. I just don't know what it will have to offer. Gee...

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
www.macjams.com
I can see your logic too. Because the Walkman and iPod are ABSOLUTELY THE SAME.
Obviously not, but even Apple fans didn't think the iPod would amount to anything vs. other MP3 players or the established dominance of Walkman-type devices.

Sony is the king of adding a million features -- each one excessively difficult to use.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
they haven't come close to maxing that thing out, even MS probably won't refresh their console until 2013 as well, these current consoles are still very powerful
Yup. The constraints are in programming knowledge and capabilities, not in the hardware.

These consoles are going to last at least 3-4 more years. We might see an upgraded version with a little more horsepower, or a little thinner, but it won't be significantly different.

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Obviously not, but even Apple fans didn't think the iPod would amount to anything vs. other MP3 players or the established dominance of Walkman-type devices.

Sony is the king of adding a million features -- each one excessively difficult to use.
Well a thousand songs in your pocket, 20 min skip protection, all on a device the size of a deck of cards packed with Apple simplicity? How could anyone NOT think that kind of device would be the most amazing media player ever?

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005

ThanksSteve

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Unless they team with Google, it's going to be tough for them to compete with Apple's resources and know-how. That said, Sony has to compete here whereas it's a hobby for Apple so Sony will do whatever it takes.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
www.macjams.com
Well a thousand songs in your pocket, 20 min skip protection, all on a device the size of a deck of cards packed with Apple simplicity? How could anyone NOT think that kind of device would be the most amazing media player ever?
People were (and still are) too hung up on (initial) price. I bought the second (1st gen) iPod -- 10 GB -- for $499. People thought I was insane until they saw what it could do.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I can see your logic too. Because the Walkman and iPod are ABSOLUTELY THE SAME.
Not really. The Walkman was a cassette player which went on to disrupt the entire market. When that market started to dry up Sony launched the MiniDisc player which went on to ... well, it went on. For a little while. Still markets move on, so Sony followed up with ... you know, off hand I'm struggling to recall the name of a Sony MP3 player.

Apple launched the iPod, an MP3 player, which went on to disrupt the entire market the world. When that market started to dry up they released the iPhone, which uprooted another market. They followed up with the iPad which is being pretty disruptive too.

But let's not make this about the products. It's about the companies, and there the two are as different as can be. Apple is what Sony used to be. Sony is not what it used to be. It's fast becoming what Apple used to be.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
Everyone.

I wasn't saying that Apple was going to be slow at launching a TV and that they wont beat Sony. It's just a fact. The sony Walkman was the real deal at the time, but the iPod was thousands times better. Could the Apple TV be thousands times better and surpass Sony TV sales? Yes, it could. I just don't know what it will have to offer. Gee...
People were saying the EXACT SAME thing about the phone market.

And coincidentally (or maybe not) Apple had also released a half-hearted "hobby" of a phone before the iPhone (the Motorola Rokr), just like the current Apple TV.

powers74

macrumors 68000
interesting

Good luck with that, guys.

Have to admit though, I am a little curious to see what SONY has up their sleeve. I wouldn't put money on them, but they might have something for the people who are simply "put off" by Apple for whatever reason(s). They have been noticeably absent from the tablet market. Maybe there's a good reason. And no mention of PlayStation?

But I am preparing for a good chuckle.

Last edited:

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Yep Samsung TV's are to die for.
I'm on my second Samsung TV. It'll be my last. I regretted not trusting my instincts after the first one.

I doubt I'll be in the market for an Apple branded telly, unless Apple decide to cater to the middle ground for once, but Sony have as fair a crack at my wallet as do LG or just about anyone else.

dimi94941

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Excellent. More competition the better. I hope they come up with something good.

sbarton

macrumors regular
May 4, 2001
Visit site
Well, based on the interface to Netflix on my PS3 and the rest of their media store, I'm thinking Apple really doesn't have much to be worried about.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, Sony, a company producing TV's for over 30 years will surely lose to Apple Television sales that are just starting out.
Thus quoth RIM.

Like many consumers, I've bought Sony products over the years. And without exception, they've all been heavily feature-loaded right out of the box. But its that giant set of features that almost always kills a Sony product. Its like Xmas lights...when one has a problem, suddenly all of them have problems. My VAIO notebooks were really bad about this.

Sony's problem has been and always will be implementation. They just don't know how to streamline the functionality and delivery a high-value product. They try way too hard to be all things to all people rather than sticking to a single design motif.

This really could be Apple's strength...less is more, as long as the implementation of less features are THE features everyone wants/needs.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
At least there seems to be a rush to do something different.

I think Sony's challenge will be eco system and quality. I have not been impressed with Sony consumer quality lately. Last two Sony devices I bought we're not up to par.

But with that said... bring it on! Apple, Sony, Samsung, and others... impress us!

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
Sony's talking the talk before they're walking the walk.

Hell, Apple hasn't even walked the walk with Television sets yet, and they're already talking about destroying them?

This isn't a legitimate threat. It's fear. Apple's backed Sony into a corner, and now they're turning around and showing their teeth.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
Sony's talking the talk before they're walking the walk.

Hell, Apple hasn't even walked the walk with Television sets yet, and they're already talking about destroying them?

This isn't a legitimate threat. It's fear. Apple's backed Sony into a corner, and now they're turning around and showing their teeth.
Also, Stringer is close to losing his job...