Sony Seeking to Beat Apple in Revolutionizing Television

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 11, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Much has been made of Steve Jobs' revelation in his authorized biography about having "cracked" how to develop a revolutionary interface for an integrated television set, a disclosure that has led to claims of Apple working to launch a Siri-enabled television set by 2013.

The Wall Street Journal takes a look at how seriously Sony is taking the Apple threat, sharing comments from Sony CEO Howard Stringer about the strategies the company is seeking to employ, beginning with a "platform" spanning all the way from mobile devices to television sets.
    Stringer also claims that Sony has some ideas about a "different kind of TV set" that it has been working on as it seeks to beat Apple to the punch.
    Stringer touches on several other topics in his interview, including an admission that Sony failed to realize how difficult it would be to get content providers to sign on to provide 3-D programming, a reluctance that has significantly slowed adoption of the technology. Stringer also briefly mentions the iPhone and his belief that other platforms will match the iOS experience, but that those platforms will need to adopt the seamless experience Apple has championed for its "well organized" devices and ecosystem.

Article Link: Sony Seeking to Beat Apple in Revolutionizing Television

2. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

3. Jerome Morrow macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

For a moment there I thought we were in trouble.

4. AJH1993 macrumors regular

Yeah, Sony, a company producing TV's for over 30 years will surely lose to Apple Television sales that are just starting out.

5. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I hope they come up with something interesting, but I doubt it will be the SAME approach Apple takes (assuming Apple even moves forward with it). They’re trying to be first at something, but they don’t know what that something is :p

6. Wickedgardengtp macrumors member

Wickedgardengtp

7. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Never say never. Look at what happened to Nokia... and RIM... and Microsoft Phone...

8. BJ.SoundWave360 macrumors newbie

Sony

Sony, I remember as a pretty cool company. But, their time has passed. Compare the UI on the PS3 to the Xbox360 for instance. It's like they simply don't get it. Their new tv effort will probably be defined by proprietary memory sticks and ugly clunky UI.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Who, Apple or Sony?

We are still waiting to see anything that's revolutionary from any company in regards to the TV market.

10. fishmoose macrumors 68000

IF Apple makes a TV - I don't expect it to compete with the type of TV's Sony are doing I.e the money losing one's.

11. scbn macrumors 6502

scbn

Can't trust the guy from Sony. They don't have the ecosystem as Apple does and they'll have the same problems with content providers.

12. Skika macrumors 68030

13. amirite macrumors 6502a

I agree. PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in.

14. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Palm CEO in 2006 regarding Apple iPhone:

http://www.macrumors.com/2006/11/22/palm-ceo-on-apple-iphone-threat/

3 years after the iPhone was released, Palm was basically finished. Sold to HP.

15. *LTD*, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

*LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Yeah, Nokia, a company producing phones for 30 years will surely lose to Apple iPhone sales that are just starting out.

You can fill that "Nokia" space in with any number of the old guard names. Motorola, Microsoft, Palm, you name it. Do the same for tablets.

Sanjay Jha in 2007: "But is Apple ready for us?" Yeah, they nearly killed your business. Ask Ballmer what Apple did to Windows Mobile. Apple left a path of destruction in their wake. As for tablets, Apple blew the pre-2010 market into oblivion. We had tablets in the past. Look at tablets post January 2010.

Never underestimate Apple in a new market. Anyone that puts User Experience first and has the ecosystem to back it up has a more than even chance of shaking things up.

Sony makes the hardware. So what. Sony is Panasonic is LG is Samsung. You can barely tell them apart. It's all just specs. 120 Hz MontionFlow vs. the other guy's 120hz MotionCinemaX+. LOL. One is slightly smoother than the other, but the other does SD content better, but this one has internet connectivity, yes and so does the other, but this guy's remote is easier, etc. Same ****. Six of one, a half dozen of the other.

This is about software, UI, and access to content. When it comes to content distribution and ways to consume that content, no one does it better than Apple.

The "Apple implementation" usually tends to change the game, especially when it's about synergy between hardware+software.

16. whoami macrumors member

good luck sony!!!

apple has already killed the walkman, nearly killed the psp, and on to the next! ;)

b.t.w. thanks for the great camera in the 4S sony!

17. tigres macrumors 601

tigres

New product ID

Sony, KDL-XBR6-49a8972bv6KTP99z58v

Always keeping their numbers easy and simple to remember.

:rolleyes:

18. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Simple fact is Sony losing money while Apple is making money and have more capital at hand. If anyone is going to be able to buy content deals and "revolutionize the TV" it won't be a company struggling with cash. I like Sony but Stringer doesn't have a clue - he's a bozo to use a Jobs expression.

19. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

And why should be trust them? These are the guys that brought us Qriocity! :rolleyes:

20. sixsixj macrumors newbie

21. godslabrat macrumors 6502

Sony has been a long-time champion of building high-quality TVs, but their UI has plain sucked on every product I've ever used. Whatever Apple's plan is, it's clear they intend to simplify the TV experience... and that has been the exact opposite of ANYTHING Sony has EVER done.

22. peteullo macrumors regular

peteullo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sony hasn't revolutionized anything since the Walkman.

23. JilzVT macrumors member

What a self-serving, egotistical statement from a CEO. You represent a COMPANY, don't make it about YOU vs. Steve Jobs. It's Sony vs. Apple. Check your personal conquests at the door.

24. leroypants Suspended

I can't wait for a tv that will cost twice as much, only suppots 720p and will not allow me to hook up a blu ray player, a xbox 360, or a ps3.

25. Jerome Morrow macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

They are losing money 7 years now.