Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
evoluzione said:
haha, Raven VII that's great, maybe i should try and buy one 2nd hand for a few beans....

Actually, the deal ran out on October 31. That's why I traded in my PS2 and got store credit even though the PSTwo isn't in-store yet.

MacBandit said:
Not trying to start anything here just providing a counter point to yours so there is both sides of the story.

I got my PS2 the day they were released here in the US and I have had it ever since with many thousands of hours of use as a dedicated DVD player and for gaming and it's still going without a hitch. So not all of them die. Actually I do realize there are quite a few failures but I wonder what sort of percentage that makes up of the total number of PS2s on the market. Since the PS2 is the biggest seller it would makes since by the percentages that they would have the highest number of failures. Though without real numbers it doesn't mean they are better or worse then the next product when it comes to failures.

My story is the same as yours up until two weeks ago. Worked perfectly... until I put in a PS1 game, and DISC READ ERROR. Thinking it's a dirty disc, I tried it in a friend's PS2, worked perfectly. Do you play PS1 games? Because the symptoms tend to start with PS1 games and DVDs, then slowly get worse and worse until it can only barely read some PS2 games. It's not exactly a "failure", it's quite easily fixable by opening the PS2 up and cleaning the laser lens. Your PS2 might have the problem and you don't even know it.

deral

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Kahuku, Hawai'i
I'm guessing they won't drop the price anymore untill after the holiday season. :( I know it's at a cheap price now, but i kinda wish they'd drop it maybe 30% and make it $104.30

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Raven VII said:
Actually, the deal ran out on October 31. That's why I traded in my PS2 and got store credit even though the PSTwo isn't in-store yet.

My story is the same as yours up until two weeks ago. Worked perfectly... until I put in a PS1 game, and DISC READ ERROR. Thinking it's a dirty disc, I tried it in a friend's PS2, worked perfectly. Do you play PS1 games? Because the symptoms tend to start with PS1 games and DVDs, then slowly get worse and worse until it can only barely read some PS2 games. It's not exactly a "failure", it's quite easily fixable by opening the PS2 up and cleaning the laser lens. Your PS2 might have the problem and you don't even know it.

I had a couple hickups with a scratched DVD a couple years ago so for the heck of it I cleaned the laser then. There's also another fix that tightens the plate that holds the CD/DVD in the drive. I got a dedicated DVD player about a year ago so I wasn't wearing out the PS2 watching movies on it all the time anymore.

I think a big part of the longevity of mine is that it is on a high shelf of an entertainment center vertically mounted and is never moved from there. Also I keep it very clean and free of dust.

I don't play PS1 games anymore because the graphics suck so bad.

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
some pictures of the PS2 "mini" with my powerbook

2ar15smilie.gif

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
deral said:
I'm guessing they won't drop the price anymore untill after the holiday season. :( I know it's at a cheap price now, but i kinda wish they'd drop it maybe 30% and make it $104.30

These new Playstations are over $100?? You're kidding! I just saw a new Nintendo console and game for $99. If I was in the market for a new console, I think I'd pass on old technology. At least in this case. It strikes me as too pricey for what your getting.

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
Raven VII said:
Traded in my old PS2, which is starting to get that disc read error symptom, last weekend at EB for the deal they had - trade in a PS2, get $100 towards a PSTwo. Nice deal! Unfortunately they don't have the PSTwo. Still don't to this day. While EB Games (the site) and Amazon has it shipping in 24 hours. :p

:rolleyes:

Just for those of you with the disc read error problem. Call sony support and they will fix it for free. I had this problem and i was bummed about hav\ing to buy a new one or something, but i called sony and they waived all repair costs. just fyi

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
one of the bigger upsides i heard of the new pstwo is that it comes with a full 1 year warranty from sony instead of their crap 90 day warranty the original came with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.