Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
What if the Vaio SA/SB also has Unibody metal casing, which apparently looks that way?

If it does have a unibody then it did an awesome job hiding it. The lines are all over the place.

You're willing to pay $500 more for a Mag Safe adapter?

Learn to count. I posted 3 of the things that instantly come to mind. I'd get the Mac just for the fact that at least they think of new things to make their laptops better. The Sony like other PC laptops have been just doing CPU upgrades for the last 15 years, the power adaptors hasnt changed at all in over a decade, the body is still plastic and a million hinges. They don't want to even fix the laptop themselves when it has issues within the warranty period, maybe they can't stand how ugly they look either. The few times I've had to use Applecare it was no questions asked next day sorted. They once even shipped the machine to me at another location for free cause I had to catch a plane that evening and it arrived before I got there myself.

billgates99

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
I don't understand why these are supposedly "great" specs?

- the cpu options are standard options on most new windows laptops.

- the graphics card is pretty crappy and limited to GDDR3

- the hard drive and optical drive options are standard options on most new windows laptops

- the 1600x900 display option is perfect for a 13" laptop, however this is not news, as it was offered on the previous generation Vaio Z models.

Ultimately, the only "spec" that is remotely notable is the thickness of the laptop. IIRC, the Vaio Z models had a sort of wedge shape that were thin at the extreme front tip of the palm rest, but much thicker in the back. This seems like a huge improvement.

Last edited:

badtzwang

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
If it does have a unibody then it did an awesome job hiding it. The lines are all over the place.

Learn to count. I posted 3 of the things that instantly come to mind. I'd get the Mac just for the fact that at least they think of new things to make their laptops better. The Sony like other PC laptops have been just doing CPU upgrades for the last 15 years, the power adaptors hasnt changed at all in over a decade, the body is still plastic and a million hinges. They don't want to even fix the laptop themselves when it has issues within the warranty period, maybe they can't stand how ugly they look either. The few times I've had to use Applecare it was no questions asked next day sorted. They once even shipped the machine to me at another location for free cause I had to catch a plane that evening and it arrived before I got there myself.

Don't you have to pay an extra $250 for apple care? I would expect good service if I paid that much on top of an already expensive laptop.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Don't you have to pay an extra $250 for apple care? I would expect good service if I paid that much on top of an already expensive laptop.

Applecare is included free. The one you buy is if you want to add a few more years. Judging from your question it seems you've never owned a Macbook which is not surprising, I think you need to own one to understand why we enjoy them so much.

I'd like to point out that I do feel Apple makes the best Laptop. For desktop I still love my custom built PC.

Last edited:

hawse771

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2010
Ft. Worth
Nice specs, but as a recent (January) Apple convert I'll still pass.

The bloatware, malware, and viruses are too big of a headache to put up with. Even with constant AV software, regular updates, and regular malware scans both computers around work and mine at home seem to get a virus of some sort at least once or twice a year.

Also the MagSafe power adapter is once of the coolest features about the MBP as silly as it sounds (I've had 2 HP's become useless because the charging port gets loose and will no longer charge because of the antiquated power adapter styling).

Applecare (the included 1 year) is also from what I gather, a lot better then other manufacturers "1-year" warranty. Will you take your Vaio into the local Sony store??

Last, but certainly not least is the durability (and sexyness) of all aluminum without seams.

MBP is still greater than sony regardless of "specs"

edit: a good example would be a Mustang Shelby GT-500 compared to an M3...on paper the GT-500 has way better "specs" but I'd still opt for the M3 (though I would rock either car)

C1raider

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
I like it, my one question is; how does the ACTUAL battery life compare to the 2011mbp 13.

sturmnacht

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006

- the hard drive and optical drive options are standard options on most new windows laptops

- the 1600x900 display option is perfect for a 13" laptop, however this is not news, as it was offered on the previous generation Vaio Z models.

Ultimately, the only "spec" that is remotely notable is the thickness of the laptop. IIRC, the Vaio Z models had a sort of wedge shape that were thin at the extreme front tip of the palm rest, but much thicker in the back. This seems like a huge improvement.

The old Vaio Z is wedge-shaped; the most recent Vaio Z is full flat, except the bulge by the battery. The new Vaio SA/SB is full flat just like the MBP.

I think the extended battery is also an improvement because previous Vaio's extended battery tends to be a block sticking out at the back. Usually it also sticks out the bottom too for ergonomic reasons when typing, but that would sacrifice the portability of the notebook due to battery sticking out in an awkward manner. The slim extended battery on the SA/SB is full flat, which is great for carrying while providing the notebook up to 14 hours.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010

The reason hese are regarded as "great", "awesome" specs, is simply because this is a Mac forum. Apple could have done better with the price they ask for a MBP, but we all know they didn't.
By comparison, this VAIO's specs suddenly look more than amazing.

endless17

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
unless you're a brand new computer user, you'll typically have to install or transfer over a bunch of settings from your previous system(s) before you're comfortable with it. in that regard, reinstalling the OS isn't much a big deal. hell, I just did that on my 2011 MBP when I swapped out the original HDD for an SSD.

and to rebutt Chrono1081 - no, the aluminum chassis of the MBP does little to keep the system cool. the heatpipes aren't connected to it in any significant way, and nor should it so long as you want a system that you can hold comfortably. that the body of the laptop is pretty cool to the touch shows instead how insulated their engineers wanted to keep the body to make lap-computing possible.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC

That $250 got me a BRAND NEW Quad i7 2.2 from Apple, a refund of $120 from my unused AppleCare (prorated) AND they are getting me a Matte screen (as my old one had that).. so yes, AppleCare is worth it. Must just have a Nano and not a MacBook/MacBook Pro?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.