Sony Vaio VS Mac Book Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JW8725, Apr 29, 2007.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

1stly sorry guys if its been done before but my search didnt spit up anything.

I need to buy a laptop within the next month to take to Central America (not many have a mac there!) and I'm split between the following:

Sony Vaio SZ4 VWN @ £1899

AND

Mac Book Pro 15" @ £1562.75 (Student discount)

I do need to make use of many windows applications this is the only reason I'm even considering the Sony but I have reservations on the native speed of windows applications on the mac book, anyone have any comments and experience there?

Here is a link to the sony:
    http://shop.sonystyle-europe.com/So...n/x.cek&countryId=GB&campaignId=ILC-SZLANDING

Yes I know its a lot more, the processor is slower and the screen is smaller....etc.

The 17" Mac book pro would just be too big in dimensions I want to keep to 15" or so. I'm totally confused here, any bright spark have any ideas here?

2. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I'd personally get the MBP, with using Boot Camp, it'll be just as fast as the Sony.

Though those Sonys are mighty sweet looking. We carry them at work, but no one buys because I live in an area where everyone mainly buys the el-cheapo-junko eMachines 349 computer package.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The Vaios are pretty good laptops. I highly recommend them. The only problem is that it can't run OS X. I'd get a Mac. You can use Boot Camp and run Windows at native speeds.

4. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Well, I live in Central America (Honduras) and I have a 15" MBP. Although youa are right about the fact that there are a few mac users over here, I am surprise just how many apple stickers I see in the back of the cars here (mine included)

I would just get a MBP. Sony laptops are very good but you cant run mac OS on it. I have installed windows on my mac and I must say that I have never seen xp run so fast.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I have (had, in the case of the 15" MBP - I have two 17"s at this moment) both, the exact same model in the case of the VAIO - and the Sony takes it for actual portable use.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions.

6. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

a friend of mine had a Vaio that had 2 dead hard drives and no working USB ports. he bought a MBP.

that could happen to any computer but it makes me think twice about Vaios. i also tend to think Sony isn't a computer company - they're more electronics in the sense of televisions, DVD players, and video games. that said, i know people who are very happy with their Vaios.

the MacBook Pro is cheaper than the Vaio, even when you add in the cost of Windows. i suggest the MBP; under Boot Camp it's exactly like having a Windows machine.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

MBP...why both with the Vaio? I doesn't big anything to the table the MacBook Pro doesn't...both can boot Windows, MBP is cheaper and can boot OS X!!

That said my first computer was a Vaio, and wow it was great. Fast as anything, it was a while ago, wish I had gotten a Mac, but it was a gift from somone who once worked for MS.

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

One of my colleagues who sported a Vaio and used to rag on me the most about my Mac use, showed up at a meeting in Buenos Aires with a new MacBookPro. It was one of those moments where a mutual smile was enough said.

9. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

ive heard from other potential buyers that theyre waiting because they 'suspect' a MBP is due soon. of course, we all know how secretive apple can be, so who knows if the rumor is true.

10. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

I would defiantly buy the MBP it can run all os with all the speed as it equivalent pc. It also cheaper.
    p.s. hdsalinas people all have apple sticker because everyones got an iPod.

11. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi all thanks for the help, yeah im veering towards the MBP but aint the Viao just gorgeous? My only worry is that I buy the MBP and lo and behold uncle Steve releases a newer one....etc.

Hdsalinas I've just returned today from Guatemala and I hear you on the Apple stickers on the backs of cars. I saw that too but noted that they were on the beat up cars. I guess the Apple has some kind of cult status there because Apple mac products are STUPIDLY high priced and I can't see those folk buying connoisseur-esq products. Also I guess everything is copied 100 times over, maybe someone is printing out them apple stickers. I did see a black :apple: Apple logo on the back of a Datsun I recall.

12. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

ill go against the grain and say get the vaio. if money isnt an option, get the vaio cuz it's a solid performer, got good looks, and you can play games on it. if u get the MBP, yeah it will be unique in Guatemala, but like u said its about to get a revision if the rumors are true. nothing worse than buying something right before it gets updated! (i should know, i just bought a 5.5 30g ipod right before they introduce the 6G 'true video' ipod)

13. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

they haven't announcd a "true video" iPod; therefore, you didn't buy something just before an update because there hasn't been an update in a while.

there's nothing wrong with the Core 2 Duo MBPs. they are not going to stop working in a year forcing you to buy the latest and greatest product from Apple. don't worry if the MBPs are updated - the Core 2 Duo models are great machines, will last quite some time, and continue to perform amazingly.

if you want a Mac but are constrained by Windows, you have no excuse anymore. especially if - as demonstrated in your price comparison - the Mac is less expensive.

14. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

Well said. Besides, are you going to buy a Rev. A when walking into an Apple Store for repair isn't an option? Windows runs fantastically on an MBP, so don't let Windows use be a reason. I just switched from a Vaio to my MBP and couldn't be happier.

15. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

I'd go with the mbp! My macbook runs windows perfectly so a pro would eat it up I'm sure :)

btw, I just configured a 15" mbp for under the vaio's price with 3GB RAM and Applecare! (with HE discount)

16. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

ha ha. I know what you're talking about. They come in on Sundays and ask (with thick redneck accent) "You gots one uh dem three niney nine laptops?" Do you mean the laptops with the five year old AMD processor? Ha, we sure do! Good luck trying to sell it for more on eBay.

They get it and then they don't want nothing else

17. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Why is the vaios trackpad not in the middle? Or does it just look like this on the photo?

I've seen a couple of laptops lately where the trackpad is slightly on the left side. This would drive me nuts since I have my right hand on the trackpad and my left hand on the keyboard for shortcuts most of the time.

18. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

I was wondering about that as well, that would drive me crazy.. seriously. I would also recommend a MacBook Pro since you will be able to run the best of both worlds. Better bang for your buck in my opinion. Good luck!

19. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i think it's to the left a little to make room for the optical drive, which is presumably on the right side of the computer. the width of the computer is 315mm or roughly 12". a 6" (or is it 6.5"?) optical drive (on a Vaio, at least) might force them to move the trackpad over a bit.

20. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

The trackpad is exactly center to the spacebar, where it should be. It's overall very slightly to the left because you have an extra column of keys on the right. I presume those are Home, Input, etc.

21. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

Where I work there are a couple of Vaios as well as my MBP. The Apple is much nicer. From the magsafe connector and cable wrapping on the power adapter to the nice features like the backlight on the keyboard it is no contest really. My MBP is a rev A 2Ghz and I bought an OEM copy of XP Pro off Ebay for £55 and installed it under Boot Camp where it runs very nicely. Performance is excellent although to be honest I think OS X runs a bit more smoothly but it still runs XP better than almost any other laptop out there.

Since you are in the UK you might also want to check out the refurb store on apple.com/ukstore because there are a bunch of MBPs there which look to be excellent value. Last week there was an early one going for £899 including VAT. OK, so it was a Core Duo like mine but it really is a storming performer and for that sort of money you really can't complain :) I have bought a couple of refurb machines and they have both been excellent and if you get one like the £899 CD model then you really don't need to worry about it not being the latest and greatest.

22. Roba macrumors 6502

I think that is the case for pretty much any top of the range Core2Duo laptop that you buy right now. Sony and Dell will update their laptops to when the Santa Rosa chips become available and so will Apple as well.

23. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

O/t

I saw a Vaio yesterday at Best Buy. From a distance, I thought it may have been a MacBook (Pro). The area with the keyboard looked very similar to a MacBook Pro (aluminum), with white keys that looked like a MacBook. The lid, on the side of the monitor, also looked like a MacBook. Interesting to see Sony incorporating both styles of Apple's laptops.

24. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

The Sony looks nice, but I would still go with the MacBook Pro. :)

25. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

youre right but i wasnt clear enough. i meant apple might revise the 'look' of the MBP because some have speculated certain aspects are appearing dated now, like the keyboard, the latch, etc.

but ill stop here because a horde of maclovers will wish me dead.