Sony's tablet...Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macnerd123, Nov 8, 2011.

1. macnerd123, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

macnerd123 macrumors regular

I am looking into buying a tablet. Of course I want it to be made by apple, but at the iPad's current stage, it does not offer me what I really want (it has no ports for USB, memory cards, etc... and has to be plugged into a computer to function). I think that the Sony Tablet S seems like a sufficient compromise, but I haven't actually used one, not like I have been able to try out the iPad. What is anybody's opinion on this. Is the tablet S a good decision or should i wait until Apple comes out with a new iPad [that I am hopeful they will eventually make] that will fit my needs?

Also, I am not quite sure of the spec differences, but price-wise, they are both okay for me.

2. Mindy60 macrumors regular

Apple has the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit, both USB and SD. As far as a recommendation to the Sony tablet, not sure if you will find that in a Mac forum. Good luck. :)

3. matt90036 macrumors regular

not sure about sony but im sure one thing, android has very little quality apps. I went down the android road 2 months ago only to find out that there is no Netflix, no Skype and that most apps are designed for a phone instead of tablet. They call them so called compatible apps...Also the manufacturers rarely update their OS so even thou google will release an update, Sony will not transfer it to their devices. Their is also a lot of preloaded junk apps. good luck.

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

This is a pro Apple forum where it would be very rare to find a fair & objective report on a Brand no one here cares about or owns. Most likely you will get critical comments on any competitors.

Best use of your time is a Sony forum. You're wasting your valuable time here.

5. macnerd123 thread starter macrumors regular

After thinking more about it, I think that the sony tablet does have the ports I want, but its app store sucks. The iPad uses what it already has in a better and more versatile way. In the end I \ lean more towards the iPad 2, but at the same time I am in the category of people who are wondering about an iPad 3 and whether or not to wait.

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Then wait & occupy yourself with other things while waiting.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The Sony tablet seems to be aimed more towards gaming. All newly developed Sony games can be ported between the PS3, Vita and their Xperia lines (which includes this tablet). Whether or not big games are released for it is another matter...

Without owning an iPad, I'd probably go for the Sony just because of the gaming focus.
    Pity I don't want either! If the Sony tablet gets Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX like the PSP then I'll bite :)

8. macnerd123 thread starter macrumors regular

Also, I just realized, I use iWork on my mac, so only an iPad would be able to get pages and other apps that I could sync with my mac. That literally will be the reason I don't get any other tablet, not unless I could use a word processor on another tablet and save it as a pages of at least word document.

9. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

the CCK works fine with SD media, rather iffy with USB flash drives.
    to the OP, if you need that kind of connectivity, the asus transformer will be refreshed before year's end and might be worth a look.

10. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

If you get the sony you would be 1 of about 6 that have one in the US.

11. macnerd123 thread starter macrumors regular

What makes you say that?

12. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

I really do not think sony is selling very many. Just my opinion. Be honest, how many have you seen on the street?

Do yourself a favor and go with the iPad

:apple:

13. macnerd123 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm probably just going to wait until the next refresh and in the mean time save up money and hope for the best.

14. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

April will be here before you know it.

:apple:

15. macnerd123 thread starter macrumors regular

:rolleyes:

16. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

[​IMG]

17. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The S is a decent tablet. I have one. Lighter than my iPad2. Much easier to hold onto than the iPad. Google web search for "Sony Tablet S. My Review" for photos and several other reasons I prefer it over my ipad. There is a link to the User Manual on the blog post.

18. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

You don't ever have to hook an iPad to a computer now that we have iOS 5.

19. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

I've played with the Sony at an Electronics shop here in Japan. What a piece of Junk. Seriously, who thought that design would fly with consumers? It's a piece of **** plastic that looks absolutely awful. What happened to classic sony design? Think Trinitron and walkman.

As for it's specs and abilities with ports... I have no idea.

What I did find is the touch and response of the ipad felt a lot better.

Surely you'd be better off with a Samsung if you were after ports and whatnot, yeah???

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you are thinking iPad 3 might have more ports, you'll likely be disappointed. apple isn't going to add more ports to the iPad, their design philosophy is to keep things simple.

21. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

sony is dead, lost money 4 years in a row :eek:

----------

correct

22. beg_ne macrumors 6502

As far as I can tell the Sony tablet had one day of fan fare (paid for by Sony of course), in Japan and then bombed like the rest of them. Can't say much about it other than that. Looks like a POS IMNSHO.

What exactly do you need ports for? Just for memory cards? What else do you plan on plugging into a tablet?

Also FYI none of the iOS devices need a computer anymore. They can be set up and run independent without even touching a computer.

Edit: Also if you're looking for a USB plug to use external storage why not look at this:
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/05/500gb-seagate-wi-fi-hard-drive-streams-to-ipad/

23. takeshi74 macrumors 601

My opinion doesn't matter as my needs/wants don't match yours.

However, if you are expecting more ports on the iPad 3 then there's no point in waiting for it.

24. macnerd123 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for all these comments. I guess no company will ever make the perfect tablet [in my eyes] but the one that does best fit my needs , or rather wants, is the iPad. I don't know if I could deal with another expensive, overplayed, non-Apple product (I bought an HP Touchsmart computer a few years back..should've gotten an iMac). iPad it is.

25. weespeed macrumors 6502

If you can wait till Dec, I would seriously look into this, the Asus Transformer Prime.
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/09/transformer-prime-detailed-10-inch-super-ips-display-12-hour/