Soo...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacMane, Apr 17, 2012.

1. MacMane macrumors regular

Maybe I'm just being impatient, but is there ever going to be a major game release exclusively for the new iPad? Or did apple just add the extra gpu cores just to get everyone that already owned an iPad 2 to buy another iPad 2?

Yes I know I said iPad 2 twice.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

development for a game takes time, and i thought that Chair had already announced that they were working on a new Infinity Blade type game for the iPad?

3. iEvolution macrumors 65816

The extra gpus are more likely to be for the higher resolution screen rather than a performance enhancement for games, afterall it take twice the power to run.

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

If you were making a game, would you make it so only people with the new iPad could buy it?

5. MacMane thread starter macrumors regular

So iPad 3 games won't be ready til the iPad 4 comes out?

----------

Yes so the new iPad owners can feel validated.

----------

And also that would give iPad 2 owners more of an incentive to upgrade.

----------

So the extra gpu cores are used soley to power the retina display? The display is amazing, but after a couple months of use, the new iPad and the iPad 2 are basically the same product, except one gets warm with heavy use.

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Why would a developer care whether people upgrade? In fact, a developer wants to sell his game to EVERY iPad owner, not just the new ones. Can't believe I actually had to type that concept out.

Again, for real? iPad developers are now also responsible for validating purchases?

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Wait, so you would put time, money and effort into developing a game, that only works on the new iPad, to make them feel validated?

Don't you think your narrowing your market ever so slightly?

What wrong with making your game run on both, but run best on the new iPad like a lot of other developers have done?

8. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

The retina display and new camera should already make new iPad owners "feel validated".

9. MacMane thread starter macrumors regular

I would put money, time, and effort into anything I do. Apple made huge claims of the A5X being revolutionary and better than the tegra 3. I have yet to play a game that validates that statement, nor have I heard of one being developed.

----------

I agree the retina display and new camera are incredible, however, there isn't much content to take advantage of the screen. 1080p videos and movies use up a lot of data and most people only have up to 5gb of data for $80 a month, which is like 3 1080p movies at the most.

10. Carouser macrumors 65816

"Except for their most significant difference, the new iPad and the iPad 2 are basically the same thing"

BRAVO

EDIT: developers should make games which max out the tech in order for the OP to say 'thank goodness developers made games which took full advantage of the technology'? Who cares about this stuff?

11. MacMane thread starter macrumors regular

iPad developers should always be adapting to the newest technology and products, why focus on developing for the past? There's enough new iPad owners in the world for the developers to make an exclusive game and still make plenty of money and gain world wide recognition.

12. Carouser macrumors 65816

You would have to show that the cost of making a game intended to take full advantage of the internals of the iPad, coupled with the fact that only new iPad users could buy it, is offset by the benefits to the company (namely, profit). Can you show this? If not, you don't have much left to your position.

13. MacMane thread starter macrumors regular

“Quality is more important than quantity. One home run is much better than two doubles.” – Steve Jobs

----------

Apple sold 3 million new iPads the opening weekend. There's plenty of benefits (profits).

----------

I would love to see a couple games that pretty much max out the internals just to see what this thing can do.

14. Carouser macrumors 65816

This doesn't show that it is worth it for a developer to devote resources to making a game which will run only on the new iPad, vs. making a game which runs on all of them.

You really didn't get my point. A developer isn't going to restrict who can buy their app unless doing so will result in greater profits. Is a game which shows off the processor going to make more money than a game which is fun and a much larger audience can buy? I'm not interested in whether you think this is the case; I'm interested if there's any actual evidence for such a strong claim.

EDIT: Here's a clear example: If you were Rovio, and had to pay staff etc. to make another Angry Birds game, would you say "I'll get the best return on my investment if we make Angry Birds Galaxy which every iOS user can buy" or "I'll get the best return on my investment if I make Angry Birds Deluxe which has a zillion polygons (or whatever) but just new iPad owners can buy". It's your word against common sense on this one.

15. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Have at it then. Why wait for someone else to do it?

16. MacMane thread starter macrumors regular

Apple claims the iPad is the number 1 gaming console. Apple should invest in its own gaming company so that there are flagship games released for the newest iPad release every year to show off the small incremental upgrade apple calls revolutionary. I'm just sayin...

----------

Common sense would also say if apple adds a quad core to the iPad 2 and markets it as the revolutionary new iPad, there should be some games which utilize this upgrade. Also the retina display is beautiful, however, there is very limited content available that takes advantage. At least on hi-res tvs and monitors you can plug up or stream blu-ray to it and appreciate your investment.

17. rkahl macrumors 65816

Put me on the list of "who cares about iPad games".

18. MacMane thread starter macrumors regular

What other role does "quad core gpu" play if not for gaming?

19. rkahl macrumors 65816

I'm not a "Spec Whore", I bought it for the display.

20. Trey1984 macrumors regular

That's what some game company's do with the xbox360 and ps3

21. MacMane thread starter macrumors regular

Truth

22. Carouser macrumors 65816

So now not only should developers devote resources to a specific platform, Apple themselves should start a gaming division! I'm still waiting for some evidence (you know, numbers or something) about how this would be a more profitable return on investment than what people are currently doing.

"Apple adds a quad core and markets the iPad as revolutionary"
    THEREFORE
    "There should be games specific to the new iPad which use the upgrade"

I think you're missing a premise in there somewhere.

23. MacMane thread starter macrumors regular

Actually I think that pretty much sums up the original premise.

24. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Protip: Don't ever try to run a business.

25. Carouser macrumors 65816

A decent argument has at least two premises which lead to a conclusion. You have one premise (the new iPad has improved capabilities) and then a conclusion out of nowhere.