Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I can definitely see the point.

Remember how Apple had game developers on stage for the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and the original iPad?

They worked closely with game developers to make sure they had some centerpiece to show the audience, like that Epic Citadel demo that came before Infinity Blade from Epic Games that Tim Sweeney proudly showcased.

He has a point but I can definitely see why you don't want to neglect the existing market. However, if Apple developed or paid a developer for a game themeselves it would make a lot of sense, in the interest of showing what is possible when pushing their new hardware.

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
I agree the retina display and new camera are incredible, however, there isn't much content to take advantage of the screen. 1080p videos and movies use up a lot of data and most people only have up to 5gb of data for $80 a month, which is like 3 1080p movies at the most.

I'd guess that most people use their iPads on wifi unlimited data plans most of the time, not a metered data plan.

In addition to higher resolution videos, I think photography, magazines, books, games updated for the display...hell, just about everything looks pretty amazing on the new iPad.

They were able to take the leading tablet on the market, quadruple the display resolution, and keep it running as fast and fluid as it previously did, and sell it at the same price. Apple probably markets the specs as much as they do so people like yourself can "feel validated" about their purchase, but IMO at the end of the day it's how well the whole package works that matters.

MacMane

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Orlando, Fl
I'd guess that most people use their iPads on wifi unlimited data plans most of the time, not a metered data plan.

In addition to higher resolution videos, I think photography, magazines, books, games updated for the display...hell, just about everything looks pretty amazing on the new iPad.

They were able to take the leading tablet on the market, quadruple the display resolution, and keep it running as fast and fluid as it previously did, and sell it at the same price. Apple probably markets the specs as much as they do so people like yourself can "feel validated" about their purchase, but IMO at the end of the day it's how well the whole package works that matters.

I've personally owned all 3 generation of iPads, and can't complain about the fluidity of ios, the incredibly slim design, and the precious retina display. The A5 was updated to the quad core gpu equipped A5X, and apple said that the new iPad is more powerful than the ps3 and Xbox 360 and 4x better performance than the tegra 3. Where's the content?

MacMane

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Orlando, Fl
A decent argument has at least two premises which lead to a conclusion. You have one premise (the new iPad has improved capabilities) and then a conclusion out of nowhere.

The new iPad has little to no content that displays how the new iPad is revolutionary, or why its even worth upgrading to.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
That's what some game company's do with the xbox360 and ps3

Not by choice, and certainly not to validate somebody's hardware purchase.

It's not even comparable to this.

Do you realise how much is costs Microsoft to keep Halo off the PS3?

Do you realise how much is costs Sony to keep Uncharted off the Xbox 360?

These developers get 'very' special treatment from Microsoft of Sony in terms of development budgets, deadlines, marketing campaigns etc to make it worth them narrowing down their audience.

At a stretch, and I mean a MASSIVE stretch, you could argue that maybe Apple should pay a developer or two to make games that show off just what the new iPad can do.

But even then it isn't comparable.

It is not in Apple's interest to exclude iPad 2 owners, and it’s certainly not in the developers interests either.

Back to the consoles, this is different. It is very much in Sony's interest to keep Uncharted off the Xbox.

And don't even begin to romanticise that Naughty Dog just loves Sony... if the money dried up they'd be on Xbox aswell in a heartbeat. Regardless of specs and hardware, they'd MAKE their games work on Xbox, they'd be stupid not to.

If you're a developer making a game that only works on the latest iPad, you are either incredibly rich and don't need to worry about profit, or a moron.

MacMane

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Orlando, Fl
Not by choice, and certainly not to validate somebody's hardware purchase.

It's not even comparable to this.

Do you realise how much is costs Microsoft to keep Halo off the PS3?

Do you realise how much is costs Sony to keep Uncharted off the Xbox 360?

These developers get 'very' special treatment from Microsoft of Sony in terms of development budgets, deadlines, marketing campaigns etc to make it worth them narrowing down their audience.

At a stretch, and I mean a MASSIVE stretch, you could argue that maybe Apple should pay a developer or two to make games that show off just what the new iPad can do.

But even then it isn't comparable.

It is not in Apple's interest to exclude iPad 2 owners, and it’s certainly not in the developers interests either.

Back to the consoles, this is different. It is very much in Sony's interest to keep Uncharted off the Xbox.

And don't even begin to romanticise that Naughty Dog just loves Sony... if the money dried up they'd be on Xbox aswell in a heartbeat. Regardless of specs and hardware, they'd MAKE their games work on Xbox, they'd be stupid not to.

If you're a developer making a game that only works on the latest iPad, you are either incredibly rich and don't need to worry about profit, or a moron.

So if a developer or apple create a game exclusively for the new iPad, showing off the capabilities of the a5x, that means that developer can't also create other games?

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
So if a developer or apple create a game exclusively for the new iPad, showing off the capabilities of the a5x, that means that developer can't also create other games?

Quite possibly yes (unless the developer has unlimited resources).

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
I've personally owned all 3 generation of iPads, and can't complain about the fluidity of ios, the incredibly slim design, and the precious retina display. The A5 was updated to the quad core gpu equipped A5X, and apple said that the new iPad is more powerful than the ps3 and Xbox 360 and 4x better performance than the tegra 3. Where's the content?

Content? I've seen plenty of apps updated specifically for the new iPad.

You just don't seem happy that those apps also run on previous iPads, but there's no question they shine on the new display.

MacMane

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Orlando, Fl
Content? I've seen plenty of apps updated specifically for the new iPad.

You just don't seem happy that those apps also run on previous iPads, but there's no question they shine on the new display.

The OP is about games. Games that Attempt to max out the quad core gpu to be specific are non-existent right now. And there are 1080p videos and movies available, but they consume butt loads of data (if you're using 4g or LTE).

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
The OP is about games. Games that Attempt to max out the quad core gpu to be specific are non-existent right now. And there are 1080p videos and movies available, but they consume butt loads of data (if you're using 4g or LTE).

and photography apps, magazines, books....plenty of content updated for the new iPad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.