Soon to be released iPhone, will it be Waterproof from the factory?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by McGiord, Aug 7, 2012.

1. McGiord, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Any recent rumors about having the next generation iPhone waterproof by Apple?
    There were some rumors in the past about it, what happened with this? Any hints?

OLD RUMOR

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That'd be awesome, but I haven't seen or heard anything regarding this.

3. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

Not sure but please test it for the rest of us and let us know when you can!

4. McGiord thread starter macrumors 601

McGiord

Sure. As soon as you send me the sample I will gladly do the video.

5. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

6. gta50419 macrumors 6502

Pointless stupid ass senseless feature if it does. We're not 8 years old.
    Just don't drop your iphone in the tub and don't go swimming with it....If someone dropping their phone that cost hundreds of dollars in water, They just don't need one.

Making the glass unbreakable is more important.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    Where do people come up with this nonsense?
    I miss the downvote button:D

8. bushman4 macrumors 68000

I remember there was a company that showed their waterproof invention prior to the 4S release. Could be a possibilty but chances are slim as it is a timely process.

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Glass + Unbreakable = nonexistent

10. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

Whether or not Apple implements this into the next iPhone remains to be seen but I believe this will become standard on all portable electronics in the near future.

For $59 you can send your phone in to these guys and they'll send it back to you waterproofed. Sounds like a good deal if it works.
    http://www.liquipel.com/in-action/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Po9bQ2_QE&feature=player_embedded

What if you want to go camping or biking with your phone (like I do) and it gets wet? Taking pictures at the beach, in the pool, or in the snow.

Why did they get rid of the down vote button?

11. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I have a waterproof camera right now that works very well. I can't imagine needing any of the features of my iPhone while I am in a pool or the ocean, aside from the camera. I'm not going to make calls or use facebook underwater. Plus there is the touchscreen issues. Plus the chemicals/salt in the water will destroy the touchscreen. All around this would be a pricey feature with little value.

Yes it would protect the phone, but it's a high price to pay when you could simply just remove the phone from your SWIM TRUNKS before taking a dip.

Other suggestions- don't let other people/children use your phone, don't use your phone while at a urinal, don't use your phone while taking a bath.

Problem solved.

p.s. I will admit I do miss the days of being able to push unsuspecting people into a pool. These days there are too many gadgets in the way.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You use a water sealed case or you dont take your $700 electronic device in places where there's risk that it could get ruined.

13. garbeth macrumors regular

Obviously written by someone who spends their days inside a cozy little office, not working outside :rolleyes:

14. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Never say never.

Especially where Apples concerned. The moment they release a water resistant iPhone, the user base will proclaim "this changes everything"

Sound familiar? :D

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, then everyone will take it swimming and keep bringing it back to Apple when it craps out for a replacement.
    Imagine that nightmare, I dont see it happening or at least not anytime soon.

17. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

OK, all kidding aside...

I'm posting via my iPhone 4S & don't have the link handy, but here's the story. I read a very interesting article recently that spoke of a new aerosol spray that applies a thin clear coat which renders a mobile phone nearly waterproof, not just water resistant.

The prediction was by this time next year, it could be standard on all brands of high end mobile phones.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know, I heard tons of those stories too:D
    I dont think we're ready though for next year.

19. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Yay I get to use my phone in the swimming pool. Actually would be really useful for the floating speaker we have for the pool. I can see many uses for this actually.

Imagine getting work done, going over expense reports, and online banking, etc, while you're floating in the pool on a hot Arizona summer day (115 degrees+ !). I would LOVE this :)

20. McGiord thread starter macrumors 601

McGiord

21. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Of course you can never charge it or use headphones... The holes in the phone provide these capabilities today. If you seal them over, these functions are lost.

22. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

So falling in the swimming people or accidentally get some water over your phone means that you're stupid, 8 years old and the don't need one?

But at the same time you're saying they must make the glass unbreakable. Yeah, that's logical... because dropping it on the floor is less stupid than accidentally get some water (or soda) on your phone.

23. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

I hate cases but they are an option. I have insurance on my phone so I'm not that worried if something happens to it but I'm not going to treat it like a delicate flower. I'm going to use it like the mobile phone, mp3, gps, and camera that it is. This is the point of converging all these devices into one.

Source??? The casio g'zone is a touchscreen device that is waterproof down to 1m and is mil spec rated. It's already been done, not fantasy.