Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duction

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
U to the K
The problem with the bottom headphone jack is that it makes holding the phone impossible with headphones plugged in. If you're right handed your pinky will be in the way of the headphone jack...

ZKx8f.jpg

Bad design desicion, Apple!

i too hold my phone balancing on the little finger.. we will have to see how it works out,

apple must of done tests with people to see if it bothers em though

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
Because that's where it should be. Once you use a phone with it on the bottom it makes perfect sense. Course I use by headphones so I could care less

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Stupid moving it to the bottom. I don't want to have my phone upside down in my pocket. Also I can't have the headphones in while docked.

You're gonna be wicked pissed when you realize you can't dock it into anything on the market right now.

I'm for the headphones on the bottom. I naturally put the phone in my pocket upside-down so now I can more easily and comfortably use headphones.

Sebastino

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
I used to have a 2nd generation iPod Touch and I loved how it had the headphone connector in the bottom, it was a natural way of when you were done with the device to put it upside down in your pocket.

And I didn't get phone calls obviously but like someone mentioned with it upside down now, when you peek you can see who's calling or reading a text.

Also I just think it looks cool, so I love it :p

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I figured the jack was put on the bottom so it would work with an audio docking system. Since there's no longer a line out in the connector, the audio jack is the only place to get an audio signal. So audio docking systems will have both a lightning connector and an audio plug sticking up.

Regards,
Tom

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Have you ever had an iPod touch and listen to music with it in your pocket? Picking up the iPhone the the bottom sticking up is more efficient to use. Plus its more natural for people to put the phone in their pocket that way as well. Just a little of my experience. Not trying to defend Apple

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
most people will slide their phone into trouser pockets upside down if listening to music, it's just more fluid.

I and many of the people around me find this. I always have to think about putting it in the 'right' way up at the moment.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Well think about it, hold your current iPhone in one of your hands.

Try putting the phone in your pocket without releasing the grip of the phone and make sure the headphone jack still remains on top. It's pretty hard to do this.

A simpler way is to rotate the hand so the bottom sticks out first, which is probably why the jack is on the bottom now. This could be confusing to some so sorry in advance.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I could care less where it is, but i imagine putting it on the bottom may interfere with certain accessories.

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
They wanted to copy the Nexus!

Or the iPod Nano and iPod Touch that have been located at the bottom since they came out.

I like the jack at the bottom so when I have my headphones in and the phone is in my pocket the jack is up. When I pull the phone out I'm already holding it the right orientation, no need to turn it over to use it like I do now with my 4S. I became accustomed to doing this with my iPod touch and iPod nano.

It just makes sense to me.

----------

The problem with the bottom headphone jack is that it makes holding the phone impossible with headphones plugged in. If you're right handed your pinky will be in the way of the headphone jack...

ZKx8f.jpg

Bad design desicion, Apple!

Looks like you have plenty of room for headphones.

mobiletech

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
It makes sense that it's on the bottom... Do you know how many warranties have been voided by a single rain drop?

Plus it is easier to design cases and make them water/ dirt proof.

SouthsideJohnny

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
More practically, I expect it let then put all the audio circuitry in one place and eliminate a potential source of crosstalk/interference/detuning with the RF sections and antenna.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
http://www.livestream.com/electronicarts/video?clipId=pla_de57dc4d-35c4-4383-9913-75790fa8fb34

I use one of these, so much prefer the jack to be at the top. If I put the phone in there up side down, you will struggle to take it out without pressing the home button (activating voice control etc).

I hope they will make this case with a hole in the bottom :/

You use SimCity on your iPhone? (your link goes to an EA video feed featuring SimCity ;)).

And to everyone freaking out about devices/accesories take up too much space on the bottom to use the headphones - the only thing that fits in there at the moment is the new cord, and it looks like there's plenty of space to fit that in and the headphones at the same time.

EDIT: I guess if you're buying the $30 adapter I can see the point of it taking up space. However, even the 30 pin dock still allows for two speakers on either side of it on the 4s so I think you could still plug in the headphones.

Last edited:

SlyguyAction

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
I don't know why, but I think it is beyond idiotic.

I agree. People here talk about putting their iPhone into their pocket upside down. Call it OCD, but I always put the phone in my pocket right side up. I don't look down at my pocket to read messages/notifications. Should be interesting to see how Apple develops a "workaround" for this blunder into the new dock.

This is an iPhone, not an iPod. Putting the jack on the bottom was a terrible idea.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
It's at the bottom so that manufacturers of speakers with dock and car holder can have all of the connectors at the base of the unit
They clearly said at the launch that the new Lightning connector was "all digital" meaning the only analogue output is the headphone socket
What I am surprised about is that the 30pin adaptor doesn't also connect to the headphone socket as well as the Lightning port...how will that help people who already have audio devices they want to connect to?
We need a pin-out diagram to see what's on the 8 pins

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Wirelessly posted

Thank goodness!

I had an iPod touch and loved the jack at the bottom. Hated it at the top of my phone.

I put my phone into my pocket top down. Jack at the bottom is better.

The jack at the top also required me to put it upside down in the tray in my car.

This makes so much sense.

pHeNom

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2009
Houston TX!
I think they did it to make the insides fit and mostly when people place their phones in their pockets the top part rest in the bottom of the pocket so the headphone jack / wire kinda gets all ****ed up (for lack of a better term)

I like it this way better when you place your phone in your pocket wires dont get all messed up in there in the process (I read that from another site on why they moved the headphone jack)

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.