Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hellfirechrome

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2021
Twin Peaks
BTW- I bought the PowerBook G4 867 off of you about a year ago. I rarely use it! I need to reformat the drive and add Sorbet. My most used machine now is a G5 1.8 DP I picked up locally for $45

Funny, I find my favorite machine for Sorbet actually is my Titanium! 1GHZ (with a recent mobo swap, she was born an 867), clean as the one I sent you, real sweet machine with three good batteries in case I ever leave the house (LOL). I have a super clean DLSD 1.67ghz loaded with Sorbet as well, maybe it's odd but the /only/ thing I like on that machine more than the titanium is the backlit keyboard. Since my TiBook got a NOS keyboard this spring it feels like I'm standing on the sales floor typing fun nonsense when I used to sell them at CompUSA... the hype was REAL back then and I think I'll never get all the titanium out of my blood.

The DLSD is a hell of a travel machine, thought, and the fast AirPort (with modern enough security!) makes browsing on it fun, though that's not their primary purpose. Sitting here on a 16" M1 Pro, the same size as that DLSD, I am pretty certain I own one or more of each of Apple's best portables ever. It's impossible to decide a favorite.

Get Sorbet onto that TiBook and put her to work! I'll get it rocking on the Pismo (also NOS keyboard LOL) and find her a daily purpose and a place on my desk...

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Funny, I find my favorite machine for Sorbet actually is my Titanium! 1GHZ (with a recent mobo swap, she was born an 867), clean as the one I sent you, real sweet machine with three good batteries in case I ever leave the house (LOL). I have a super clean DLSD 1.67ghz loaded with Sorbet as well, maybe it's odd but the /only/ thing I like on that machine more than the titanium is the backlit keyboard. Since my TiBook got a NOS keyboard this spring it feels like I'm standing on the sales floor typing fun nonsense when I used to sell them at CompUSA... the hype was REAL back then and I think I'll never get all the titanium out of my blood.

The DLSD is a hell of a travel machine, thought, and the fast AirPort (with modern enough security!) makes browsing on it fun, though that's not their primary purpose. Sitting here on a 16" M1 Pro, the same size as that DLSD, I am pretty certain I own one or more of each of Apple's best portables ever. It's impossible to decide a favorite.

Get Sorbet onto that TiBook and put her to work! I'll get it rocking on the Pismo (also NOS keyboard LOL) and find her a daily purpose and a place on my desk...
I wiped the drive and now have 4 partitions- Sorbet, 10.4, OS 9, Storage. I have plans to use it more often. Right now I am focusing on cleaning and clearing out stuff in my home!

Reactions: Hellfirechrome

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
Looks like your date and time is out of whack. Lots can go wrong if that is the case including web surfing. Getting a working PRAM battery is the easiest fix. If not, using the internet to set date and time is the next best but it does use a service running in the background eating up resources. You switch that off once time has adjusted to what it should be but you will need to remember to set that each time you boot up if you don't have a PRAM to store it.
Thanks! I have the PRAM pulled out of all my machines, but settings the auto-date/time fixed it for me. I had it turned off based on the Sorbet performance tweaks, but def leaving it on now, as this in the grand scheme of things it only makes a computer that's a little slow, just a little slower lol.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
I am currently using my Power Mac G5 7,3 DP 1.8ghz computer running Sorbet Leopard. I played a YouTube video in InterWebPPC and I noticed that I was barely using any memory. Then I started to pay more attention to memory usage and despite having 4GB I am only using between 1 and 2GB. At the same time I have a large 36GB VM. Which made me wonder, is the OS resorting to using VM over installed memory?

I guess my main concern is that I am using a SSD and 10.5 does not have any trim support. Does that mean the SSD will wear out faster because of the large amount of space for VM?

I still consider myself an amateur despite everything I have learned over the past 1.5 years of using OS X and vintage computers.
Picture 1.png

Picture 3.png

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I guess my main concern is that I am using a SSD and 10.5 does not have any trim support. Does that mean the SSD will wear out faster because of the large amount of space for VM?
Lack of Trim does not impact wear. The main goal of Trim is to improve write behavior, especially on disks that are close to full. With modern SSD firmware, it is only a minor concern.
For best wear-leveling and macOS performance, you should try to have about 20% of your disk free.

flatjuba

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2016
Finally, I have a guts to install Sorbet R15 thru CCC. I followed the instruction in the process from this site (hopefully I was right). It seemed that my old application went away. The application folder in my updated R15 is like a newly installed OS...:(
I have to re-install it one by one.

My question, did I miss something, like an option in CCC. I chose, don't delete everything preserving only newer files, hoping only an OSX apps that will be reinstalled.
Or if I did fine, is there any other way to preserve my applications so that I don't have to reinstall apps again.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
To add to what other's are saying, I find on modern computer that things run smoother over a long period of time if you try to keep an SSD at around 50% free. So I'd probably say 20% is the minimum, with 25-30% being more comfortable, and 50% being much more optimal. Of course, this is a general statement, and would be affected by brand, SSD type, build quality, and most importantly, the size of the faster SLC/sudo-SLC portion of the drive (I say "sudo", because most drives today will be made with TLC, QLC and "3D" NAND, but the firmware of the SSD will be programed to designate a portion of the drive to act as a cache, and only write in single layer there for speed...until you start to fill it up, then it may start writing in a more bit dense mode. This is kind of a simplification of the process, and it really varies by drive and how the manufacturer is handling caching).

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
To add to what other's are saying, I find on modern computer that things run smoother over a long period of time if you try to keep an SSD at around 50% free. So I'd probably say 20% is the minimum, with 25-30% being more comfortable, and 50% being much more optimal. Of course, this is a general statement, and would be affected by brand, SSD type, build quality, and most importantly, the size of the faster SLC/sudo-SLC portion of the drive (I say "sudo", because most drives today will be made with TLC, QLC and "3D" NAND, but the firmware of the SSD will be programed to designate a portion of the drive to act as a cache, and only write in single layer there for speed...until you start to fill it up, then it may start writing in a more bit dense mode. This is kind of a simplification of the process, and it really varies by drive and how the manufacturer is handling caching).
I think I am using a Lexar or PNY drive. Would using a Samsung or equivalent be a better option? I do find myself using my G5 way more than I thought I would.

richardallan

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2021
Hi Everyone. I have just installed Sorbet Leopard on my G4 Digital Audio model & the mouse is so jumpy that it's almost impossible to use. Anyone have a fix for this? It's just an old Apple Pro Mouse plugged into an Apple USB keyboard. It's the only USB mouse I have at the moment. This machine is also running OS 9.2.2 & OS X 10.4 & the mouse is fine on those systems.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Hi Everyone. I have just installed Sorbet Leopard on my G4 Digital Audio model & the mouse is so jumpy that it's almost impossible to use. Anyone have a fix for this? It's just an old Apple Pro Mouse plugged into an Apple USB keyboard. It's the only USB mouse I have at the moment. This machine is also running OS 9.2.2 & OS X 10.4 & the mouse is fine on those systems.
Did you repair permissions after installing? I found doing that solved some quirky behavior

konfusion

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2022
Hi! Does sorbet change anything related to power management in g5 systems?

I noticed recently that with sorbet my g5 quad behaves somewhat strange when idling. According to istatmenu CPU voltage remains static and never drops to it's minimal value in idle mode. CPUs consume more power when idle (~18 watts per core comparing to ~11 watts in Leopard). Fan RPM never drops to it's minimal value. CPU idle temperatures are also higher with sorbet, so i guess that this is not a sensor reading issue.

Some screenshots included.

Stock 1.5.8 Leopard behaves just as expected in comparison.

Both OS are installed from scratch with only istatmenu app installed.
Also it's worth mentioning that sorbet actually has much less background activity than leopard (as seen in cpu load graphs).

Attachments

• leo1.png
    leo1.png
    177.7 KB · Views: 74
  • leo2.png
    leo2.png
    177.6 KB · Views: 66
  • sorbet1.png
    sorbet1.png
    138.5 KB · Views: 68
  • sorbet2.png
    sorbet2.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 74

konfusion

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2022
Check System Preferences > Energy Saver > Options > Processor Performance and compare Sorbet’s setting to stock Leopard’s.
As was expected, Leopard uses "Automatic" scheme, while Sorbet toggles maximum performance. This led to high noise and consumption when idle. So I would recommend g5 owners set "Automatic" to keep their machines cool and silent in idle mode.

Thanks!

blubparadox

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2022
I have a PowerBook G2 12 inch, PowerBook6,4. My Geekbench went way down when I changed from Leopard to Sorbet. Geekbench 2.27. No hardware changes in between.
EDIT: Under Energy Saver, I get much lower performance when I set Processor Perfomance to Highest instead of Automatic.
Leopard overall score 789, integer 1008, floating point 856, memory 511.
Sorbet with Performance on "Highest", overall score 449, integer 519, floating point 438, memory 406.
Sorbet with Performance on "Automatic", overall score 791, integer 1006, floating point 855, memory performance 517.

Anyone have insight why "Highest" would have much lower performance than "Automatic"?
I repaired disk permissions.

Last edited:

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
EDIT: Under Energy Saver, I get much lower performance when I set Processor Perfomance to Highest instead of Automatic.
Leopard overall score 789, integer 1008, floating point 856, memory 511.
Sorbet with Performance on "Highest", overall score 449, integer 519, floating point 438, memory 406.
Sorbet with Performance on "Automatic", overall score 791, integer 1006, floating point 855, memory performance 517.
Interesting. Do you recall if Sorbet is set to automatic by default? I have to see what setting I have on my installs.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Anyone have insight why "Highest" would have much lower performance than "Automatic"?
I'm afraid I don't, but try running the benchmark with "Reduced performance" just for kicks.

I don't remember for sure, but it was probably automatic and thought "Highest has to be better, right?"
According to #1,041 Sorbet is set to maximum performance ("Highest") by default.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Since reading the last few posts about bench marking, I decided to bench mark my 2004 G5 DP 1.8. I downloaded Geekbench from Macintosh Garden and used the patcher. Geekbench will not run in 64-bit mode though. Will the benchmark still be accurate in 32-bit mode? Is there something else I can do to get this to work in 64-bit?
Geekbench .png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.