Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Here is the error info
Thanks. I'm guessing, but it looks like code is missing from the /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib library, causing 64-bit PPC Geekbench to crash. To check, fire up Applications > Utilities > Terminal, type file /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib, press [Enter] and paste the output here.

If 64-bit PPC Geekbench works on vanilla Leopard, I'd try replacing Sorbet's version of that library with the one from vanilla Leopard. You may have to do this from another OS X install or in single-user mode.

Last edited:

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Thanks. I'm guessing, but it looks like code is missing from the /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib library, causing 64-bit PPC Geekbench to crash. To check, fire up Applications > Utilities > Terminal, type file /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib, press [Enter] and paste the output here.

If 64-bit PPC Geekbench works on vanilla Leopard, I'd try replacing Sorbet's version of that library with the one from vanilla Leopard. You may have to do this from another OS X install or in single-user mode.
Here it is- /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib: Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc

I don't have anything that is using vanilla Leopard. I suppose I can swap the ssd in my G5 and install it on a spare drive. Could it just be that this installation of geekbench is missing the required files? I downloaded it from Macintoshgarden

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Here it is- /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib: Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc
I've just pulled the library out of the 10.5.8 Combo Update... and it looks like I was right:

Code:
libsqlite3.0.dylib (for architecture ppc7400): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc_7400
libsqlite3.0.dylib (for architecture ppc64):   Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc64
libsqlite3.0.dylib (for architecture i386):    Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386
libsqlite3.0.dylib (for architecture x86_64):  Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64

Vanilla Leopard's library contains code for 32-bit PPC,64-bit PPC, 32-bit Intel and 64-bit Intel. Sorbet's only contains 32-bit PPC code. So I'm afraid you need to replace Sorbet's version of that library with the original one.

Last edited:

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
I've just pulled the library out of the 10.5.8 Combo Update... and it looks like I was right:

Code:
libsqlite3.0.dylib (for architecture ppc7400):    Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc_7400
libsqlite3.0.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc64
libsqlite3.0.dylib (for architecture i386):    Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386
libsqlite3.0.dylib (for architecture x86_64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64

Vanilla Leopard's library contains code for 32-bit PPC,64-bit PPC, 32-bit Intel and 64-bit Intel. Sorbet's only contains 32-bit PPC code. So I'm afraid you need to replace Sorbet's version of that library with the original one.
Thank for looking into that. I never used Pacifist- That us what I need to pull this, correct?
As for installation, is it a straight forward process?

Could this means that Sorbet Leopard is not really optimized for 64-bit? I googled "libsqlite3.0.dylib" and I can't find any descriptions in laymen terms on what this is and what it does.

I do make an earnest effort to figure this stuff out before asking!

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
I am downloading the 10.5.8 combo update now. I won't be able to go through this until later though.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I never used Pacifist- That us what I need to pull this, correct?
Yes. You open the MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.8.pkg package that is in the Combo Update dmg using Pacifist, browse to the /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib file, select it, click "Extract to..." in the toolbar and select a folder where you want the library to be extracted.

pacifist.png

As for installation, is it a straight forward process?
I've never tried it. It's possible that you can simply replace the file using the Finder or Terminal. It's also possible a fully running Leopard installation will not allow you to replace the file because it's protected. In this case you'll need to boot into single-user mode by holding Command and S immediately after turning on the G5 which will give you a bare-bones command line environment and replace the file there. I can try to walk you through that.

Could this means that Sorbet Leopard is not really optimized for 64-bit?
It's not that bad. :) You can use tools like Monolingual to strip applications (binaries and libraries) of code that your system isn't going to use and reduce their size. On a PPC Mac, code for Intel Macs is of no use. My hypothesis is that this library was accidentally stripped not just of Intel code (which makes sense since Sorbet is tailored for PPC Macs), but of 64-bit PPC code as well. Since 64-bit Geekbench tries to access that code in the library, it crashes.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
@Amethyst1 thank you for all of this information! I will try to pull that file tonight.

I have used Monolingual to pull languages but have been hesitant to use it to pull Intel code. I am afraid it will accidentally break compatibility. Maybe I should give it a try with a 10.4 installation.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
@Amethyst1 You can see here that Leopard's libsqlite has been replaced with another version - that's likely the problem.
Is that what this is referring to?

o Updated Safari with never-before-used security fixes from Safari 12 (replaced csparser.bundle and Security binary with updated versions from October 2018 Security.framework release, plus replaced /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib with libsqlite3.dylib from WebKit files), stabilizing browser memory usage

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Is that what this is referring to?

o Updated Safari with never-before-used security fixes from Safari 12 (replaced csparser.bundle and Security binary with updated versions from October 2018 Security.framework release, plus replaced /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib with libsqlite3.dylib from WebKit files), stabilizing browser memory usage
I assume so - so may well have the 64bit component but not a compatible one?

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
I think I am using a Lexar or PNY drive. Would using a Samsung or equivalent be a better option? I do find myself using my G5 way more than I thought I would.
With any one of the major quality brand of SSD, it's really a matter of which specific drive you use. Drives that are promoted as "Pro" tend to be better in general, and I avoid all of the cheaper energy level drives. You have to look at the specs and reviews to really know though. Honestly, SSDs are complicated due to all the manufacturing option and technologies used to save money. NAND layer type, cache, meantime to failure, etc. are all important factors. I try to use "Pro" level drives and buy lots of extra space for anything that will be heavily used, but have bought cheaper drives for lighter hobby stuff.

I currently have 2x 256GB of these https://www.amazon.com/PNY-CS900-250GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B07XZLW68F in my PowerMac G4 and Xserve G4 using Sorbet. I may jump up to a better drive once I'm sure I won't need wiping, reinstalling, and testing stuff.

Reactions: ww2_1943

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
With any one of the major quality brand of SSD, it's really a matter of which specific drive you use. Drives that are promoted as "Pro" tend to be better in general, and I avoid all of the cheaper energy level drives. You have to look at the specs and reviews to really know though. Honestly, SSDs are complicated due to all the manufacturing option and technologies used to save money. NAND layer type, cache, meantime to failure, etc. are all important factors. I try to use "Pro" level drives and buy lots of extra space for anything that will be heavily used, but have bought cheaper drives for lighter hobby stuff.

I currently have 2x 256GB of these https://www.amazon.com/PNY-CS900-250GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B07XZLW68F in my PowerMac G4 and Xserve G4 using Sorbet. I may jump up to a better drive once I'm sure I won't need wiping, reinstalling, and testing stuff.
I ended up installing a 250GB OWC SSD. I figured I used the computer enough to invest in a better drive. Besides, the price was similar to other drives.

Reactions: Edgecrusherr

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
@Amethyst1 I extracted the file using Pacifist. What is the next step to replace the file on Sorbet with this one? I don't know how to use Terminal to replace a file.

1. Fire up Applications > Utilities > Terminal.

2. Back up the current version of the library:
2.1. Type sudo cp /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.sorbet
2.2. Press [Enter], enter your password, press [Enter] again.

3. Replace the library:
3.1. Type sudo cp but don't press Enter!
3.2. Press the space bar once, then drag the extracted file into the Terminal window so that its full path appears on the command line. Don't press [Enter] just yet!
3.3. Press the space bar once, then add /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib to the command.
3.4. The full command should now look something like this, but the path to the extracted library will be different:
sudo cp /Users/john/Desktop/libsqlite3.0.dylib /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib
3.5. Press [Enter], type your password, press [Enter] again.

4. Fix ownership of the library:
4.1. Type sudo chown root:wheel /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib
4.2. Press [Enter], type your password, press [Enter] again.

5. Fix permissions of the library:
5.1. Type sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib
5.2. Press [Enter], type your password, press [Enter] again.

6. Reboot for good measure and hope for the best.

Last edited:

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
1. Fire up Applications > Utilities > Terminal.

2. Back up the current version of the library:
2.1. Type sudo cp /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.sorbet
2.2. Press [Enter], enter your password, press [Enter] again.

3. Replace the library:
3.1. Type sudo cp but don't press Enter!
3.2. Press the space bar once, then drag the extracted file into the Terminal window so that its full path appears on the command line. Don't press [Enter] just yet!
3.3. Press the space bar once, then add /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib to the command.
3.4. The full command should now look something like this, but the path to the extracted library will be different:
sudo cp /Users/john/Desktop/libsqlite3.0.dylib /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib
3.5. Press [Enter], type your password, press [Enter] again.

4. Fix ownership of the library:
4.1. Type sudo chown root:wheel /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib
4.2. Press [Enter], type your password, press [Enter] again.

5. Fix permissions of the library:
5.1. Type sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib
5.2. Press [Enter], type your password, press [Enter] again.

6. Reboot for good measure and hope for the best.
Awesome! I have to connect to an online grad class now but will try this later!

Thank you!!!

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
I thought this would happen, changing libsqlite3.0.dylib broke compatibility with Safari in Sorbet. It isn't a huge deal since I mostly use InterWebPCC. Still, it was a pretty decent version of Safari all things considered.

Picture 2.png
@Dronecatcher @Amethyst1 @z970

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Where did this back up to?
The same folder the original file is in. Would you like instructions for restoring Sorbet's version?

I followed the instructions, but it did not ask for a password in the places you indicated it would. Does that mean the commands did not work?
That’s fine. sudo can remember the password for a few minutes after it’s been typed once.

I just followed the steps in post 1067. I assume my answer is no then
The steps only replace the library. They don’t do anything else.

Here are the final Geekbench results. [...]
Those are a whopping 4.4% higher than the 32-bit ones. :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.