sore finger and thumb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tecru, May 12, 2010.

1. tecru macrumors newbie

The macbook pro unibody is a LOT harder to click. When I first used it my whole arm was more sore. Now my pointer finger and hand in general is getting more and more sore.
    My old mac book was so much easier to click. I am thinking of buying a pc and going the hackintosh route... :(
    Does anyone else have this issue with the new macbook pros?
    Anyone know if they are going to fix this anytime soon?

PS I already do use tap to click, hence my finger hurting. If you try the new unibody next to the old macbook pros, the older ones where a LOT easier to click.

2. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

My i7 15" MBP trackpad seems fine and I usually click on the corner. I also have the "tap to click" function turned on.

3. SonicBoom1981 macrumors regular

Yeah, use the "tap to click" function, although that sometimes means you click things you don't mean to at times.

4. trondah macrumors 6502

Let me guess, are your fingers made of jellow?

5. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

lol hackintosh because your fingers are retardedly fragile?

check the box for tap to click if you dont wanna exert the force necessary to push the button.

6. tecru thread starter macrumors newbie

tap to click

I do use tap to click, its causing my finger to hurt. I think the thumb/finger "claw" is not ergonomic.
    If you try the new unibody next to the old macbook pros, the older ones where a LOT easier to click.
    Perhaps these computers were designed for extremely muscular man hands. Whatever the case, we just got some of the newer unibodies and if it's not fixed I am going hackintosh.

Aluminum or nickel or whatever is on the unibodies causes my fingers to dry out too. I wish they would have stuck with titanium. That stuff felt great and was easy to use all day, every day.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

You do know that only the bottom portion of the trackpad is meant to be the actual button and be click-able. If you try clicking on the top of the trackpad you will find that that is not the part of the pad that clicks.

8. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

The whole trackpad is a button. You can click anywhere on it. It's just easier at the edges due to leverage :p

9. Mark.W macrumors member

Why would you want to click the trackpad anyway? Tapping is so much faster.

10. tecru thread starter macrumors newbie

yes I click with my thumb at the bottom of the trackpad. It's just not as easy as it used to be.

You would think that tapping would be easy but unfortunately it is hurting my finger.

I am surprised and unhappy no one else is having this issue because that means they will never fix it. :(

Do you tappers only tap or do you click too?

11. Mark.W macrumors member

Well, it seems that the issue is with your fingers/thumb and not the computer. If it hurts your finger to tap the trackpad (which requires virtually no physical effort), how on earth do you manage to operate the keyboard??

12. tecru thread starter macrumors newbie

Mark, you really really really want an answer, the keyboard is easy to use. none of my other fingers are hurting.

If the issue is with my finger and thumb, how come my hand never hurt with ANY of my previous 3 laptops. the powerbooks, the first version of the macbook pro.

seriously, do most people only tap or do most people use your thumb to click around too?

13. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Hmmm ... the whole point of tap to click is you don't click.

14. tecru thread starter macrumors newbie

So really you don't ever click? It seems like tapping doesn't always work great so I give up and click.

15. Dferreira87 macrumors member

The top part of the trackpad cannot be clicked. The lower you go the easier it is to click. Also, try tap to click, it's so much easier!

16. Mark.W macrumors member

I'm not making fun....just trying real hard to understand how tapping the trackpad could possibly hurt your finger? I mean, it requires no physical effort at all - you just need to touch the pad!

17. brand macrumors 601

brand

The lower part of the trackpad is the button, not the whole thing.

18. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

i agree. i just turned on tap to click after reading this thread to try it out. its less effort than scrolling or pressing a key.

maybe try to take it to apple to see if the screw holding the trackpad in (you can open the laptop up and adjust a screw to tighten and loosen the trackpad click) is too tight.

and this is not meant to be offensive or making fun of anything, but if tapping the trackpad hurts your finger, OP, how do you do normal tasks like driving a car?

19. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Not with tap-to-click. You can tap anywhere.

20. tecru thread starter macrumors newbie

well if no one else is piping up with this issue, I am going to try to just tap with both my thumb and finger and see if that hurts less than clicking with the thumb and tapping with the finger.
    I made the tapping action faster so perhaps that will work better for click and drag.
    Meanwhile, just in case my hand doesn't hurt less, I am going to hackintoshize an old thinkpad and see if I like the weird nub better.

21. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

well dont tap with your thumb and make a claw no wonder you are uncomfortable... your tapping with the side of your thumb?

use your middle finger to move cursor around and click with index finger.

i place my thumb and palm on the table in front of the MBP and my index finger and middle finger use pad. very very comfortable.

22. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

try this

[​IMG]

23. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

When I first got my MBP i7 I thought man this trackpad is difficult to use. I was so used to my SR MBP. What I found is that above picture is exactly right in how to use the trackpad. Angle your hand if you want to click with your thumb and actually in general all clicking whether it be with your finger or your tapping to click. Now that I'm used to it I can't even use the old MBP trackpad without wanting to throw it at all wall, let alone any PC trackpad.

24. tecru thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try that too, thanks for the photo. That might take some training. I might have to tape my thumb up for a week so it doesn't try to come in and click.

I don't use a table so hopefully this will still be comfortable and easy without one.

25. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Muscular Man Hands; |ˈməskyələr|man|handz|
    noun
    1. The hands of any person, typically beyond the period of infancy : these baby rattles must be intended for muscular man hands | he was unable to fluff his pillow, as he lacked muscular man hands

I found it eery when I saw your image and then looked down...

[​IMG]