Sore Thumb- Darn It!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

After editing about 130 photos (lots of thumb clicking) for some family pictures in March, I'm noticing some persistent soreness in my right (strumming and clicking) hand, from my thumb to my wrist. It's not sharp but it does not seem to be going away and it's a noticeable dull ache. Playing guitar does not seem to aggravate it as much as using my thumb to click my mouse. I spend a lot of time on the computer, but have done so for the last 20 years or so.

I'm going in to see the Doc at end of month, but in the meantime, has anyone experienced this? Does anyone know if there are exercises/stretches that will allow someone with this condition to work out the problem? It could be some kind of tendinitis or carpel problem. It definitely has something to do with repetitive actions. Might it not be a good idea to just wait until it goes away? I assume there is something that can be done for this short of surgery? Thanks! :)
    -Dave

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I tend to rotate out between different point & click devices to avoid RSI. I'll use the trackpad, mouse, trackball and Wacom Bamboo tablet throughout the day.

B

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Two suggestions, but both are of the pain reliever variety, rather than something which can offer long term healing.

Firstly, I'd recommend arnica gel, which is good for sports type injuries, but secondly, even better, is a product called "Tea Tree Oil Therapeutic Mineral Gel" manufactured by the health company "Jason". It can be quite difficult to obtain, but I have found it to be very good - and it is rather good for easing deep aches and injuries.

Cheers

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

My impression is that the only solution is to avoid, the downward thumb motion until the condition goes away. I'm trying to use other fingers, but honestly don't know if this is an individual finger issue or a wrist issue, in which case simply changing fingers may not help. It's an issue, but I don't feel like it's severe... yet. Will see the Dr in 2 weeks. I've got a hand brace which may help, but mostly reminds me not to use my thumb. ;)

Thanks!