Sorry Apple, but you are really losing me...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by glocke12, May 10, 2012.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I switched from windows based systems to macs back around 2006...I thought the Apple UI was far superior, and than when you add in things like Front Row, and than mobile me with idisc so you can share files with people, and the photo gallery so you can share pictures directly from iphoto/aperture, and also iwebpublishing, you wound up with a computer that was really "one with the web"...

Than OS Lion came along and for whatever reason they removed Front Row, which is something I pretty much used almost every day..I know there are alternatives, but the ones i have used just do not work as well as Front Row did.

Now, they are taking away Mobile Me and all the goodness that came with that (mentioned above)...

ANyone have any idea what the rational for all this is??

2. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

Yeah it's called making products better.

3. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

how does removing functionalities make a product better?

taking away front row means I need to use the itunes interface with my mouse..how is that better?

taking away the mobileme interface means I need to find other ways of accomplishing those things that are not integrated into OSX.

sorry, but i dont see anything "better" about any of that.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Congratulations, you belong to the 0.01% of Apple customers who care if things that were previously useful are now missing.

5. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Really?
    Front row?
    Really?

It is perhaps one of the least useful pieces of software I have seen from Apple.

It makes no sense to have it on a Mac. There are better programs for all of those things. They are called iTunes and iPhoto. It's a great interface for something like AppleTV. Which is why it's there in the same fashion.

iCloud is vastly superior to MoblieMe. Have you used it? Wait until you have to try to resolve a sync conflict in MobileMe. F'n nightmare. iCloud, generally no problems.

Wait for mountain lion. iCloud is about to take off.

If you need great syncing capability for your files, check out SugarSync.

6. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Or Dropbox. Never heard of SugarSync, but I'm checking it out now. Looks interesting.

7. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

I was also a bit annoyed about the removal of FrontRow, but it was buggy anyway. There are better solutions out there for synchronized file storage than iDisk ever was.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I miss front row. None of the free alternatives I tried work :( They could at least put it up as a free app on the app store, so those of us who like it can get it back. What's the harm in that?

9. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I never had ANY issue with front row. Get home from work, plop down on my sofa and turn on my tv to which my mac mini was connected, pick up my apple remote, and than just flip through my music files until I found something I wanted to listen to...or browse through my downloaded movies. I suspect that many who bash front row were using it a non-media center platform.

As far as icloud goes, unless I am missing something it offers very little to me in terms of what I was using mobile me for which was:

1) Sharing photos and video files via Gallery..you could also browse these images from other compouters (i.e. PC at work).
    2) Exchanging larger files via idisc (500-1 gig)
    3) online storage of some files (500-1 gig)
    4) iweb publishing (nice for me because I know next to nothing about web publishing and have very little free time to learn about it )

The best thing about most of this is that it was all fully integrated into the apple software..I know there are other alternatives out there that do similar things, but the point is these were all seemlessly integrated with the apple software making things easier and quicker.

Now, when it comes to icloud, I am not aware that it offers any of the above (but would be happy to be corrected).

By the way, do the Apple Remotes even work with anything anymore???

10. Baytriple macrumors 6502

I agree. iDisk and gallery are excellent tools integrated into the OS.

There is something called journals. It's on the iPhone/iPad at the moment. Google it. Journals is a way of making a web page very easily like iWeb and gallery from iPhoto.

Ignore these other posts, if you use the apps and they are removed it is frustrating.

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

iCloud is something I don't use...I have 2 ARV3's which take care of all my media streaming needs, and Yes Apple will drop older software in favour of new...It's not always a good thing either...The "New" AEBS software is utterly useless, but a reason to leave?

Not for me anyway.

12. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

Getting rid of outmoded functions makes things better, or perhaps we should all still have floppy disk drives in our computers..?

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

Hmm. I bought my first Mac in 2005, now have 6 of them (2 retired), and never used Front Row.

14. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I loved Front Row. It was easily one of my most used apps too. The big gorgeous album art, the photos, etc, it was nice. Nothing comes close to it.

iWeb was useless though. As pretty as it was, running/updating a website from your computer in this day and age is weird. The way the pages were structured was even weirder. It went against all web standards too.

The problem with MobileMe was that it was feature loaded and used too many resources. Most of us don't need things like iDisk's Backup which only lead to a waste of space on Apple's servers. The gallery feature was cool too, but people use it to throw just about every photo they've ever taken and never go back to it. If you're going to show pictures to someone, you're probably going to use something like Facebook or e-mail anyway. They give better options.

15. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Really? You should have tried hooking a macmini up to a 42" LED or plasma tv...like i had.

16. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Congratulations you are the 99% of people here who would support Apple no matter what they do.

Apples response, "Buy an Apple TV"

17. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Do a Google search for "Front Row Enabler for Lion" you'll find a package that works.

Attached Files:

18. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Doesn't ATV replace that? Dedicating a computer to your TV seems a little less cost effective than a $99 accessory.

19. old-wiz macrumors G3

The mini is just my wife's main PC - only has a 17" LCD. we don't watch movies on the Macs.

20. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

There are a handful of features from MobileMe I miss but I love the way photostream syncs my photos and I have iPhoto set up to autocreate events for them so they aren't lost when they "fall off" the stream after 1,000 photos.

As for iDisk and gallery, I wish Apple would keep them around but I've already moved on to dropbox and smugmug.

I never had multiple Macs which I wanted settings to be shared so I don't care about prefs sync.

I love contacts and calendar sync and it seems to work better now in iCloud.

I can understand there are a lot of users out there Apple is losing, but they are kicking so much butt with iPad, I think they can afford to ruffle the feathers of some of us "old timers". If we had been enough for Apple to grow, they wouldn't just now be coming into meaningful desktop market share. Clearly Apple is doing some things right and while they have made a few mistakes, they seem to eventually go back and fix them. Final Cut got an update. Apple has started offering free Snow Leopard DVDs to get people to Lion. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple does a little bit more compromise to satisfy disgruntled users. I just can't say how much or when. I can say if you leave everything in MoMe hoping Apple bails you out, you are making a mistake.

21. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

hmmm..is that why they got rid of front row? to sell more apple tvs?

22. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

An Apple TV, even at $99, is too limiting. We started with the original Apple TV and finally got rid of it. Our Mini is our HTPC and does great at that. Never used FrontRow though.

23. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

Of course. What else would be the reason?

24. vassillios macrumors 6502

vassillios

hmmmm, I run iDisk everyday on Lion with iCloud...no problems there. With iCloud, you can still share photos right from iPhoto using photo stream.

As for web publishing, I bet they have something better coming along. But iWeb still works (doesn't it?).

I can see how front row might be useful, but it's just a pretty interface to iTunes functionality.

----------

that would make sense if my computer moniter was 50"

25. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I don't care for Lion either. I like Spaces. I don't need iOS-style things mixed in with my OS, nor do I need full-screen apps when I have two 24" monitors.

I am also pissed that the MobileMe gallery is going away. I use that all the time to share (edited) photos with friends & family. I don't need a "Photostream".

And it's pretty pathetic that Windiws 7 AND Winows Vista users can utilize iCloud but Snow Leopard users cannot. (i.e. forced obsolescence)

It'll be a cold day in hell before Lion ever gets installed on my Mac Pro.