Sorry, it's another "which Macbook?" thread

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by spongebodge, Jun 5, 2009.

1. spongebodge macrumors newbie

I'm headed to college this fall and I'm stuck in a dilemma between the following Macbook configs:

2.0GHz + 4GB RAM vs. 2.4GHz + 2GB RAM vs. 2.4 GHz + 4GB RAM

I'm going to be an architecture major so I'll probably be using Photoshop and other such programs relatively often. However, I did speak to the department and they said that most of the heavy CAD/3D stuff isn't done until 3rd year - by which time I might go for some sort of upgrade? So apart from Photoshop I'll just be doing normal school stuff - Word, email, listening to music and watching movies. I'm not sure how much of a factor this plays, but I also plan on running Windows (hopefully I can get a hold of an XP disc) to run a couple programs.

I considered getting the Pro but my parents don't want to spend that much cash on a laptop just yet. I'm leaning more towards the 2.4 GHz + 2GB or the 2.0 GHz + 4GB (the 2.4 + 4GB is kind of pushing my budget to the very limit) - which one would give me more bang for my buck?

Any advice and recommendations would be great! What would you do if you were me?

2. mrj205 macrumors regular

Well first off, you really should search. http://mroogle.*************/ You will get more information that way than you will by starting another thread. This question gets really old...

But to try and answer your question...if the backlit keyboard is not an issue, get the 2.0+2GB. Then upgrade the RAM yourself if needed. Much cheaper that way. If you really want the backlit keyboard, then go 2.4+2GB. As before, upgrade the RAM yourself if needed.

Most, as do I, believe the 2.4 will have a better resell value in the future as well. As far as current better bang for your buck, 2.0 all day.

I doubt with either route you will need to upgrade in a few years. But if you plan to anyways, go the cheapest route possible, and save your parents wallet...

Also, check this thread out http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=695378

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

5. spongebodge thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie around here. Thanks for the links though, I'll be sure to check those out. I do have one more question though - if I decide to get a RAM upgrade myself (probably get someone at a store to do it for me), what do people normally do with the RAM that's been replaced? Resell it? Will it work if I put it in a notebook PC?

And @angemon89: Sorry but I don't really get what you're trying to say.... :S How's it free?

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Free cause your parents are buying it, not you. :p

The 2.4 will prove to be a better machine in the long run so I spring for that one.

Most people keep their old RAM. That way if you ever have a problem with the 3rd party RAM you could put the old RAM back in and troubleshoot your computer. You cant get much money for it, that's why most people keep it.

Sure, it'll fit in a notebook PC if that PC accepts the same type of RAM.

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If you buy it from OWC, you can send in your old RAM for a small rebate.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

9. mrj205 macrumors regular

Don't worry about it. Everyone is in their own way. Sometimes you need a fire suit just to fend off all the flaming. The search won't always give you what you need...so just ask. I would just keep the RAM as you wouldn't get much for it. As another poster said, get whatever your parents will get for you. If they can stretch the wallet just be thankful. Good luck.

10. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I say 2.4 MacBook

+1 for the 2.4 MacBook.

If your parents are buying something s expensive, why not just get the better one? You don't have to get the 4 GB of RAM right now. Maybe you can hold off on that for a while and purchase it yourself. It's not that expensive depending on where you buy it from. Apple's is super expensive.

11. spongebodge thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

I think now I'm leaning more towards getting the 2.0+2 or and getting the RAM myself or just getting the 2.0+4 straight up. The 2.4+4 is over CAD$1700 and my parents think that's pushing it too far for a freshman. :p At the most I'll get the 2.4+2 and look to upgrade later with my own money, I guess. At least I've eliminated one option so far. :)

What are the most notable differences between the 2.0+4 vs. the 2.4+2 configurations though? I searched the forums and many have said upgrading the processor first and waiting to upgrade RAM later is best & easiest. My questions are a) Could I manage Photoshop & multi tasking with 2GB RAM? and b) What exactly does a faster processor do for you?

12. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

A. You could try. I've use Aperture 2 and multitask. It's okay. But you don't wanna have like 10 apps running. You'll get beach balled.

B. I can't say. Most people just say it's faster in doing things. I've never used a 2.0 MacBooks, only 2.4 MacBooks and MacBook Pros. Sorry.

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

CAD software is Windows-only, so "a couple of programs" will really mean "the essential programs for my major." If you're really going to get a Mac, I'd just get the $999 Macbook and plan on using department computers for the heavy stuff; you'll want a bigger monitor than any laptop has to offer in that case anyways.

14. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

15. spongebodge thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, but for now it will just literally be a couple of programs. In the long run, when we do start doing CAD I'll probably go to the computer labs. So I guess now I'm looking more for something that'll last me through most, if not all, of college - which I think would be the 2.4.

Definitely!