Sorry to say, but expectations not met

Discussion in 'iPad' started by henriknorem, May 17, 2012.

1. henriknorem macrumors member

Got my new iPad 32 GB white yesterday, and I'm extremely disappointed.

Let's take the positives first: It's great to finally have 32 GB of storage on my iPad (my iPad 2 was 16), and I've now finally got a lot of apps installed!

The Retina display is also beautiful, and I am really pleased with it.

But, there is one major flaw: The screen is pure yellow, and the hue is uneven, so it is pink at the top and the left side is more yellow than the right. I knew about these problems before purchase but I thought you were just exaggerating.. When I laid my new iPad next to my iPad 2 (which is quite yellow, too) and my iPhone 4, I almost screamed. It is worse than I could possibly imagine in my worst nightmares.

And today I launched some apps on the new iPad and the 2 simultaneously, and guess what: In ever single case the new one was noticeably slower! I'm talking quite a bit as well.

In GarageBand, I loaded a guitar, and I was up an playing on the iPad 2 before the new iPad managed to load it.

Moreover, every single Newsstand magazine I've got lags unbearably when I'm flipping pages. I'm not joking when I tell you it is worse than my girlfriends first gen!

I know I sound really unhappy and that I'm moaning quite a bit, but I'm just shocked, because I never expected this..

I was ready to stand a bit of yellow tint and I didn't mind it not being faster than the iPad 2, but when it is a lot slower and I can't look at the screen without shuddering, I'm more than a little bit surprised.

Do you think that the speed issues can be a problem with my specific iPad or does every 3rd gen go slower than the 2?

Sorry for the unhappy post. I am calling Apple tomorrow to fix a new one, because I know I'll be unable to go away from the Retina display once I've used it.

Wish me luck on my next one! :)

2. Gol27, May 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2012

Gol27 macrumors regular

Prepare to have most of the forum come down on you like a ton of bricks! The yellow screen has been talked about to death on here. Some have it others don't.
    I wouldn't hold your breath on the replacement though, most people with "good" screens have been through 10 or more iPads!

I do wish you luck on the next one though.. And welcome to the iPad screen lottery.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I have not had any of the issues you describe. Mine is very fast with no screen issues or lag.

Yes, definitely take it back at this point. If you can get one as good as mine you'll really enjoy it.

4. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I've never compared my iPad's speed to another, older model, but I certainly haven't seen any sort of lag. I don't understand that, and I would say that that is not the norm.

5. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Did you set up a new or restore from the iPad 2 backup?? If restored from a backup, this may cause slowness...just a thought

6. henriknorem thread starter macrumors member

I set it up as a new iPad, from the device itself, and not through iTunes :)

Instead of replacing this, I'll return it for a refund (ordered from Apple.com) and then I'll go down to my local store to buy a new one, so I hopefully can take a look at the screen before I leave with it.

I guess that's a better solution than waiting two weeks to replace one and then find out that the replacement is bad as well :p

7. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

The slowness issue is not normal and is probably a hardware problem with that unit. Mine performed pretty much like what it is internally - an iPad 2 with twice the RAM.

I've seen a few Fruity Pebbles screens like the one you've got (I also had one). Those are the real lemons and you should not keep them. Most aren't like that, although there aren't many that will appear, to the discerning eye, as even as an iPad 1 or 2.

8. rz-jacks macrumors member

welcome to the ipad 3 lottery, may the odds be ever in your favor

9. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

If expectations not met, expectations too high!

10. TrentS macrumors 6502

TrentS

Forgetaboutit.

The only time my iPad 3 screen looks yellow is when I am viewing it outside on a sunny day. I does look different than when viewed indoors. But it doesn't drive me crazy.

:) :) :)

11. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

That is precisely what I did. Returned my launch day multi-colored screen for a refund. Waited two months. Went to Best Buy, bought this 32gb wifi, black. Got in my car, opened the box and fired up the iPad. Looked at the keyboard that popped up and it was perfect. Pure white. I have a keeper but if it hadn't been, I would have returned it to Best Buy on the spot.

Best of luck. I for one really feel your pain!

12. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I never sold my iPad 2 so I do use both daily,and I really dont experience the problems the OP has. Mine is very quick,sometimes quicker than my ipad2 and much quicker than my iphone4. Generally when I'm home relaxing my ipad3 is always nearby

13. The Special One macrumors member

It is a lottery. Mine has a slight pink tint especially under natural light. But it's even and the thing is serviceable. I will sell it when the 4 comes out and they get these screens right. In the mean time it is still the best tablet out there, albeit with screen tint flaws.

14. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

If you had read up on this site prior to purchase, then you would have known better than buying it online. Better to buy it in the store where you can see it yourself.

15. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Bought mine online, and it's perfect.

16. VFC macrumors 6502a

I just tested my iPad 3 outside in the bright sun (blue, cloudless sky). I went out on the deck and the screen took on a rose/pink hue. I then went into the kitchen, which is very bright (indirect sun) and the screen was bright white. Strange phenomena.

17. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I wonder if all LCDs do that?

18. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

They dont. My first iPad had this and I exchanged it. Second iPad was hopelessly blotchy and yellow. But no pink hue. Third and current one is good enough for me. Also no pink.

19. jlluna macrumors 6502

I pre ordered mine on preorder date when they came out. iPad 3 AT&T 4g. Compared to my iPad 2 wifi it is just as fast opening programs, but the iPad 3 display is allot nicer. I have no yellow tint and I think it is perfect, just as fast as my iPad 2. That's weird that your is slower.

20. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Online purchase here as well. But I do understand that its nice to have it in hand right away and to test it out a bit at or close to the store. ;)

21. TrentS macrumors 6502

TrentS

Whoops!!

Whoops! My bad. You are correct. I meant to say it looks a little pink when outside in the sun. Not yellowy.

;) ;) ;)

22. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

Not so i this matter...

Generally, in many areas of life, this is so. But regarding this issue, that is simply not the case. It is just silly to indicate or assert such a thing, and it is also in fact a quite disrespectful thing to post...

In psychiatry, we would also see the aspect of plain denial in such a statement when it is about this issue.

23. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Calm down, was only joking.

24. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

What is a lack of a sense of humor called in psychology? :eek:

25. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

OK. Sorry!

Please accept my apologies for not understanding that you were joking.

Regarding this specific issue, which is in fact denied by too many, it's not that
    easy to spot a joking remark from a serious one.