Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falconer.

macrumors member
May 17, 2012
Didnt say perfect...Said perfectly good...not much is perfect in this world, which is what makes it an interesting place.

As to the color temp variance(but still uniform on any given screen), that is not an issue...that is a by product of using different screens from different manufactures, and they are calibrated differently...same as light bulbs. Some people prefer a warmer color temp, some cooler...that is not an issue, as long as it is uniform across the screen. That being said, would be nice if we could calibrate the screen like with our computers.

I know you didn't use the word "perfect" but a lot of people on this forum have been dragging out that word, which kinda irks me. That's actually why I signed up to talk about it.

My iPad doesn't have color uniformity, as most don't -- one quadrant is a very slightly different shade than the rest -- but I have to stare at the thing and nearly make my eyes cross to notice it. I'm somewhere in the middle on this. I know a lot of people wouldn't notice it at all. Some others would've returned my iPad if they were the owner.

Anyway, I agree with you about screen calibration. Different people have different tastes. It would be great if Apple would add the same ColorSync calibration wizard to the iPad that exists on the Mac.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
I must be royalty or something. I purchased my first iPad 3rd generation when it came out and immediately compared it to my sister's iPad 2. Never noticed any difference other than the gorgeous retina display and colours.

Then, I gave her that iPad as she liked it so much, and also got one for my mum. Again, no yellow tint - and I did look. I then went and got myself an iPad 3rd generation, too, and once again compared it to the other two 3rd gens, my dad's and other sister's iPad 2s and even my friend's iPad 1. The iPad 1 had the yellow tint issue but all the others were more or less fine. Some appeared to be a tiny bit more yellow than others but I couldn't tell unless I just compared them.

I'm just saying this because I see all these posts about the screen issues and I often wonder if people are reading too much into it. I'm just incredibly lucky or a monarch in disguise, I guess.

Anyway, I hope you get it resolved.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I must be royalty or something. I purchased my first iPad 3rd generation when it came out and immediately compared it to my sister's iPad 2. Never noticed any difference other than the gorgeous retina display and colours.

Then, I gave her that iPad as she liked it so much, and also got one for my mum. Again, no yellow tint - and I did look. I then went and got myself an iPad 3rd generation, too, and once again compared it to the other two 3rd gens, my dad's and other sister's iPad 2s and even my friend's iPad 1. The iPad 1 had the yellow tint issue but all the others were more or less fine. Some appeared to be a tiny bit more yellow than others but I couldn't tell unless I just compared them.

I'm just saying this because I see all these posts about the screen issues and I often wonder if people are reading too much into it. I'm just incredibly lucky or a monarch in disguise, I guess.

Anyway, I hope you get it resolved.

You're the norm. The people here returning iPad after iPad are the extreme.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
Other than the disturbingly bad WiFi, I have no complaints about my new iPad- but I have no praise, either. Having both a 2 and a "3" allows me to have one to bring with me to work (I'm an IT consultant, a.k.a. "paid whore") and one I can leave at home. I prefer the iPad2 for work, actually. While the retina screen is nice, my old eyes can't tell much difference between them (well, not enough to jump for joy.) Same specs on both- 32GB WiFi only- and otherwise they don't feel the same, except the apps on the "3" crash much more often, and I can't connect reliably on WiFi. I have a small apartment, but it drops the connections often.

I love both iPads, but I expected better from the new version.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Other than the disturbingly bad WiFi, I have no complaints about my new iPad- but I have no praise, either. Having both a 2 and a "3" allows me to have one to bring with me to work (I'm an IT consultant, a.k.a. "paid whore") and one I can leave at home. I prefer the iPad2 for work, actually. While the retina screen is nice, my old eyes can't tell much difference between them (well, not enough to jump for joy.) Same specs on both- 32GB WiFi only- and otherwise they don't feel the same, except the apps on the "3" crash much more often, and I can't connect reliably on WiFi. I have a small apartment, but it drops the connections often.

I love both iPads, but I expected better from the new version.

Mine rarely crashes (the 1 crashed periodically), and my wifi signal is just as strong on the 3 as the 1 as far as I can tell. I am usually very close to my router when using it, however.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
Mine rarely crashes (the 1 crashed periodically), and my wifi signal is just as strong on the 3 as the 1 as far as I can tell. I am usually very close to my router when using it, however.

I have had a number of crashes, and one lockup. The WiFi is markedly less sensitive to signal than my iPad2, which is not a stellar performer, either. After the last iOS update, it was much less stable.

If my vision was better, I may appreciate the difference but while I do see a difference it is simply not enough difference to matter. And do note the qualifier I put in there.

Don't misunderstand, I love the thing. I just wish it would stay connected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.