Sorting by application category in Finder

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by WhoDaKat, Jul 26, 2011.

1. WhoDaKat macrumors 6502

Hey all

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times, but its driving me nuts. In Lion, when you sort your Application Folder by Application Category, how can I edit those categories? I read they are supposed to mimic the categories from the App Store, but since most of my apps didn't come from the App Store, they are all over the place. Most are listed under "other" (including the Mac App Store!). I have my Utilities folder listed under "other", and a separate Utilities category that has none of my Utilities in in.

Not to be rude, but I'm not looking for work arounds. Just curious if you can do it or not. For launching my normal apps I use Alfred, but I want to be able to categorize the Apps I don't use that much. I kind of use Launch Pad for this now, but I'd like my Applications in Finder to be organized under something than "other".

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

not sure if you can

I used to have mine sorted by kind (apps at the top and folders at the bottom)

now it only gives the option you see, grouped so many into categories and the majority into other

3. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Don't bother with sorting, or use the Launchpad to arrange the icons any way you want.

OS X's Finder sorting is just as random and crappy as Windows Explorer.

4. WhoDaKat thread starter macrumors 6502

I will stop "bothering" with sorting, when you "bother" to read the entire post before you comment on it. Not everyone wants to know your opinion...

That being said, I think I've figured it out. You can use XCode to open the info.plist inside of the applications content. You can add a row, Application Category pops up, and you can give it whatever category. Save, and restart the application. When it starts up, it should be in the correct category.

This is just me messing around, so if you actually know what your doing, and have a better way, please share!

5. rbryanh macrumors newbie

Thanks equally for the useful info and your disinclination to be intimidated by the pointless hostility too many people mistakenly believe indicates intelligence.