Sound Balance on OSX 10.9 going off occasionally?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by XboxMySocks, Oct 2, 2013.

1. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Anyone have any idea what causes this?! I'll notice the balance is completely wrong and go into settings and it's shifted [​IMG] to one side.

2. humar macrumors 6502

humar

3. robbob2b macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue. When I found out, I set the balance in the middle, and then, after a couple of days the balance in my sound preferences had again gone completely to one side (in my case: the right).
    This should not happen.

4. stevemiller macrumors 65816

i've had this issue before as well. it hasn't happened to me the past few months, but i'm probably jinxing myself saying that. at one point i thought it was the result of trying to adjust the volume too quickly after plugging in headphones, but i don't seem to be able to replicate it doing that right now.

anyway, when i do a search online, it seems like people have been reporting this problem all the way back to panther, so it apparently isn't on apple's priority list... :/

5. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

This has been happening for a looooong time, as the poster above said.

So far, it seems like a bug Apple will never fix.

6. Larsonator macrumors newbie

Go to Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup

Select your output device on the left and make sure both Channel 1 and Channel 2 have the same dB values.

7. XboxMySocks thread starter macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Really weird. Been noticing it for a while. Hasn't seemed to be that bad since I fixed it that post, though!

8. milkybrainuk macrumors newbie

Yeah I just noticed the issue again in 10.9.2. I swear this has been an issue for a few version of OSX. Unless is some sort of keyboard shortcut that i press now and again. Or maybe VLC somehow.

9. andreiru macrumors 6502

andreiru

10. Karffe macrumors newbie

i have this some issue in newest MAC OSX YOSEMITE!!! wrong system:apple:

11. humar macrumors 6502

humar

Clean Yosemite install. Same problem.
    I've noticed that this happen only when I plug in my speakers..

12. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Been happening to me for years.

13. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I've never noticed the problem with my headphone (speakers) out. I'm on 10.9.5

Attached Files:

14. JmJ17 macrumors newbie

I have this problem too with Yosemite 10.10 and with 10.10.1.

It occurs each time I reboot o switch on the computer (Mac Mini)

15. technofunky macrumors member

technofunky

Wow googled this issue and landed up here, yes it is happening on Yosemite.

16. Karffe macrumors newbie

Please giv me any fix for that funky sh**!!!!! please.

17. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Haha this is still happening on one of my old eMacs sometimes! It has 10.4 installed! But it hasn't happened for a while now anymore, I should try to figure out what I've changed.

I have never had this issue on newer Macs, such as my iMac (mid 2011, OSX Lion - Mountain Lion - Mavericks) or my Mac Pro (mid 2010 - OSX Mavericks).

18. Karffe macrumors newbie

This is very weird behavior because i have iMac 2012 and newest Mac OS X Yosemite

And anyway there is more than this one bug which makes my workplace very unused...

19. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Yeah I understand that. But to be honest, if you're using your iMac professionally, you shouldn't have updated to Yosemite in the first place. It probably hasn't to do with that, but Yosemite is full of bugs and full of crap, and most Pros have kept their fingers away from it. Only crazy Apple bootlickers have installed this on their Mac.
    So even though this also happens on other systems, an OS like Yosemite can't make it better, it can just make it worse really!

20. lungtroll macrumors newbie

Sound Balance on OSX 10.9 going off occasionally

This is happening to me and it appears with my mac mini every time I turn it on the balance goes to the right, tested a dozen times and this seems, well for me is the reason.

If I am deluding myself as quite old now please offer some advise.

21. PRD725 macrumors newbie

yosemite sound balance changes on its own

I just noticed this problem a couple of weeks ago. Adjust it back in preferrences and a few days changes on its own again.

22. andy.senn macrumors newbie

andy.senn

I never had this problem until I upgraded to 10.10.2. Now, any time I connect headphones or an external display that supports audio (DP, HDMI), the audio pans all the way to the right. I don't think it has worked properly once since I upgraded. It's a bummer to hear that this has been around for so long. It may not be very common, but for those of us who do experience it, it's a real headache. :(

23. Wafflefruit macrumors newbie

Having this problem too. Any solutions yet?
    Has anyone reported this bug to apple?

----------

Found this on another thread. Too soon to say if it works, but you can all try it.
    Go to VoiceOver Utility (just do a spotlight search), click sound, and UNCHECK "enable positional audio". It was checked for me before.

Hope this helps!

[​IMG]

24. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

2014 Mac Pro with Yosemite--both audio outputs (speakers and headphones) have this problem. (And I think they did under Mavericks too.)

Amazing to think it may have started in Jaguar! Sounds like it ought to have been easy to fix.

25. rockdirector macrumors newbie

Bumpity bump... same issue, Mac Mini 2012, Yosemite 10.10.2 -- I was about to climb behind the desk and rewire my monitors, occamizing that the balance was off to my powered Tannoys thanks to suboptimal 1/8" mini connections required by my Belkin KVM.

On a whim I went online to research the problem and realized the balance values were off. Set it back to centre, but barely a week later it's reverted back to Ch. 1: 0.16 Ch. 2: 0.254. This isn't my audio workstation, just a server that has my iTunes library, but still, WTF is up with Apple lately?

----------

Just changed the VoiceOver settings... let y'all know if it solves the issue here.