Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MathiasTCK

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2018
Just happened to me, worked fine last night, this morning balance was set all the way to the right:
Model Identifier: MacBookPro13,3
System Version: macOS 10.13.4 (17E202)

mh`

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2012
Same! haven't had this problem in a long time, but was still subscribed to this thread. Had long forgotten about the thread until you bumped it. MacBookPro14,3 and 10.13.4 (17E199).

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
Just happened with my airpods on Mojave. And also happened before with a different pair of earphones in the past.

Blacky

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Just happened to me on mojave with a bose qc35 headset ... insane that this bug still exists after all this time.

sammcj

macrumors member
May 10, 2009
Australia
I'm having this issue on macOS Mojave 10.14.2 on one of my two 5K iMacs.

Headphones: Nuraphones (latest firmware G2).

uneven_volume.gif

A _temporary_ workaround is to open sound, move the balance from centre and back again which seems to align the channels, but it doesn't always last between reboots, different headphones / DACs etc...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:

notmetoday

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2015
New Zealand
I used to have this issue pop up every now and then, but haven't had it happen in maybe a half year to a year now.
I've done a clean re-install (twice for other issues) and had the keyboard replaced on my MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017).

Who knows what fixed it. Sorry, this isn't more helpful :(

Sott

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2019
Estonia
Same problem here, audio drags to the left. Just unbelievable!
MBP 2018, Mojave, some fancy USB-C dock. Sennheiser earbuds (100€).

It should not be too hard to keep one setting correct, isnt it?
I would be happy if apple could fix it or add feature to lock audio balance with administrator password.

Reactions: hexa

Minimumsix13

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2018
Go to Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup

Select your output device on the left and make sure both Channel 1 and Channel 2 have the same dB values.
These are not separate settings, they control the same thing as the general balance slider in the main audio settings. You can have the MIDI window and the audio window open at the same time and watch one influence the other.

asv56kx3088

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
Do you have USB speakers? What I've come to learn overtime is that many external USB speakers end up having this problem.
My mac exhibits this problem with both internal and external speakers. From what I read, this is caused by rapidly pressing volume up/down button when the cpu is under heavy load, that's why I'm inclined to believe the issue is independent of speaker types...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.